best connection for 4k monitor

dhodson66

Weaksauce
i purchased the lg 4k ultrafine ergostand monitor from costco and am pairing it with a 6800xt.

it comes with a usb-c cable but not a display port cable. would it be better to use the included cable or a DP cable for best performance?

There are a few situations where HDMI would actually be better. AMD 6000 and NV 3000 series cards added support for HDMI 2.1, which has a higher bitrate than DP 1.4a. There is a DP 2.0 spec, but I'm not aware of any cards that implement it. The latest and greatest from NV and AMD are DP 1.4a. They'll probably bump it up to DP 2.0 for the next generation. DP 1.4a maxes out at 120Hz at 4k, so if you have one of those 144Hz 4k screens you'll need HDMI 2.1 to actually get to 144Hz. I'm guessing your LG Ultrafine Ergostand monitor is probably 60Hz, but that's just based on what came up first when I Googled it. If that's the case it probably doesn't matter much.

There are a few situations where HDMI would actually be better. AMD 6000 and NV 3000 series cards added support for HDMI 2.1, which has a higher bitrate than DP 1.4a. There is a DP 2.0 spec, but I'm not aware of any cards that implement it. The latest and greatest from NV and AMD are DP 1.4a. They'll probably bump it up to DP 2.0 for the next generation. DP 1.4a maxes out at 120Hz at 4k, so if you have one of those 144Hz 4k screens you'll need HDMI 2.1 to actually get to 144Hz. I'm guessing your LG Ultrafine Ergostand monitor is probably 60Hz, but that's just based on what came up first when I Googled it. If that's the case it probably doesn't matter much.

Although I believe this will depend on manufacturer. AFAIK gigabyte monitors have only 24gbps hdmi 2.1 ports rather than the 32-40gbps ports most tvs have. This means displayport 1.4 32gbps port may still be better.

Although I believe this will depend on manufacturer. AFAIK gigabyte monitors have only 24gbps hdmi 2.1 ports rather than the 32-40gbps ports most tvs have. This means displayport 1.4 32gbps port may still be better.
Good point. Gotta check your monitor specs. I've seen 4k screens that only had HDMI 1.4 ports on them and could only do 30Hz over HDMI, though apparently there is a low color quality mode allowing higher refresh. Maybe the monitors didn't support it. Then if you plug a GTX 600 series from 2012 into one with DP 1.2 it runs at 60Hz. We're in kind of a weird spot right now with HDMI being faster in some cases than DP. AFAIK that's never happened before in the history of HDMI and DP, and won't last long with DP going to 80Gbps with DP 2.0. Things should be back to normal with the AMD 7000 & NV 4000 series cards. Funny thing is Intel might beat AMD & NV to it. Looks like Intel's next NUC might support DP 2.0.

This monitor has USB ports and I’m thinking but not sure that the only way to access them is if I use DP and then connect the usb-c to my motherboard (not to the video card).

Yes it’s 60 hz at 4K. Decided not to splurge on higher at this size with 4K. I’m thinking of getting another one or a 32 1400p to pair with it. I’ll see how this looks first and how hot the card gets gaming 4K.

If its a 60Hz display, it won't make much of a difference between HDMI or DP. HDMI 2.0 and DP 1.4a are both rated for that res and refresh rate.

This monitor has USB ports and I’m thinking but not sure that the only way to access them is if I use DP and then connect the usb-c to my motherboard (not to the video card).

Yes it’s 60 hz at 4K. Decided not to splurge on higher at this size with 4K. I’m thinking of getting another one or a 32 1400p to pair with it. I’ll see how this looks first and how hot the card gets gaming 4K.
If you want the USB ports for data: yes, you will need to connect the USB-C port from the monitor, to your motherboard. However, you should be able to connect to a regular USB type A port, if you want to keep the C-Port on your motherboard available for other devices.

Whether you choose HDMI or DVI, doesn't make a difference for the USB connection.

If you have a nice mobo, it may even support Video over the USB-C.

I don’t think it has a regular USB port to connect to the computer. I believe it only has downstream ports for thumb drive/keyboard etc

Back