Best Computer Speakers Under $150

weuntouchable

[H]ard|Gawd
My left front speaker in my Klipsch 4.1 setup that has served me well for 5+ years seems to be dying a quick death. So I'm in the market for a new set of computer speakers. I use my computer mostly for gaming, and occasionally listen to music. I don't watch movies on it. I'm using my motherboards onboard sound, so I'm not looking for audiophile quality here. I'm mainly looking for the best sound quality for $150 or less, and I really don't care if its 2.0, 2.1, 5.1 or whatever.

Logitech X-540 are ok, but have a disappointing 'top end' (don't go nearly loud enough), and a lackluster bass. Additionally, some moron put 4 foot cables on the front channels, and 15 foot cables on the rear channels, instead of 15 foots on the front and 30s on the back.

There should be a gentleman here in an hour or two recommending a T-Amp and a set of bookshelf speakers. He's quite correct.

I say go with the Audioengine A2s. Just be sure to use the code "COVERTEN" at checkout to purchase them for only $179.10. Trust me the additional $29.00 will be well worth it.

However, if you would like to sacrifice some sound quality for a good amount of bass for games go with the Z-2300 or the Klipsch Promedia 2.1s.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Before you toss your Klipsch 4.1, search around for how to repair them. It's a good system but they often fall prey to some flaws common to the whole promedia lineup. Many of these are easy fixes such as reseating connections inside the amp.

Worth looking into imo. ;)

Before you toss your Klipsch 4.1, search around for how to repair them. It's a good system but they often fall prey to some flaws common to the whole promedia lineup. Many of these are easy fixes such as reseating connections inside the amp.

Worth looking into imo. ;)
I've played around a bit and have figured out the problem is the left front channel out of the amp, as replacing the speaker yields the same problem. I think they are like 7 years old and have served me very well. I'm sure its a pretty easy fix, but its not something I really feel like playing around with. I'll probably stick them in the F/S forums for $50 plus shipping and let someone who has the time and knowledge to fix them get a great deal.

I also think its time to move to something that doesn't involve wires running all across the home office, and that is why I'm leaning towards 2.0 or 2.1.

I went with the Audioengine A2s. The online reviews I read made them sound incredible for desktop speakers and since they are so small I can probably move them around the house and attach them to my iPod when I want music in a room that doesn't have a stereo in it. It was a tad higher then I wanted to spend, but if they are anything near as incredible sounding as the reviews I read I won't be disappointed.

Last edited:
I say go with the Audioengine A2s. Just be sure to use the code "COVERTEN" at checkout to purchase them for only $179.10. Trust me the additional $29.00 will be well worth it.

However, if you would like to sacrifice some sound quality for a good amount of bass for games go with the Z-2300 or the Klipsch Promedia 2.1s.

Sacrifice "some sound quality" is a huge understatement :D more like throwing a pillow over the speakers.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
why in the hell are the volume knobs & headphone jacks on the sub? :confused:

those speakers look great, but my current sub is under my desk & in the corner of the room... so in no way would those work for me (or most people)

It's typical of subs to have the pre-amp and amp attached.

It's typical of subs to have the pre-amp and amp attached.

I know, my klipsch GMX 2.1's have the amp in the sub, but they have a control pod as well. Crawling under my desk to adjust the volume knob doesn't seem to practical

True, 6" is pretty small...it's a midbass module at best...a lot of bookshelf speakers have bigger woofers with significantly heavier and longer drivers...and I wouldn't claim they were remotely close to full-range.

The Swan M10's entirety is 11lbs? I think your average bookshelf speakers come in about 40lbs/pair...

My klipsch 4.1 v2 died on me maybe 6 years ago, and got too lazy to repair the amp so I picked up a used logitech z-2300 set for $70 a long time ago. I frankensteined/replaced the logitech satellites with my existing klipsch and I'm very satisfied with the sound. It's 2.1 but deeper bass than a functioning promedia dual 6".

If I had the space, I would probably pick up another used set and complete the 4.1.

Back