Best colorimeter for S2433W monitor.

I mean that I don't need a colorimeter for generic use, I need a colorimeter for only one monitor (Eizo S2433W).
If it is suitable for generic use ok, but the only things of my interest is that is suitable to calibrate the S2433, if it isn't suitable for other monitors I don't care.

Well, it is my understanding that the best results for this kind of monitor can be obtained with a DTP94 using Quato IColor software or alternatively a spectrophotometer.

Perhaps you should inquire Eizo with your needs.

Well, it is my understanding that the best results for this kind of monitor can be obtained with a DTP94 using Quato IColor software or alternatively a spectrophotometer.

Perhaps you should inquire Eizo with your needs.

Thanks for the reply.
Am I wrong or the DTP94 is discontinued?
Please help me choosing what colorimeter to buy and why choose that model.

Thanks.

The Quato Silver Haze Pro Bundle - as previously mentioned. Bundles the DTP94 (with its good inter instrument agreement) with iColor Display which has built in corrections for WCG-CCFL (92-102% NTSC) and White-LED (72% NTSC) backlights.

Best regards

Denis

The Quato Silver Haze Pro Bundle - as previously mentioned. Bundles the DTP94 (with its good inter instrument agreement) with iColor Display which has built in corrections for WCG-CCFL (92-102% NTSC) and White-LED (72% NTSC) backlights.

Best regards

Denis

You are always kind Denis, thanks for the help.
I'm searching for it but it is really hard to find in eshops, It seems that the only way to find it in europe is on idealo.de from 4 shops.
I will buy from there.

thanks, I'll founded a shop in my country that got it and I'll got it from there.

To Denis, do you think that it have sense to calibrate a monitor and than use the EcoView function of my Eizo?
I found this function really useful for my eyes, do you think that this scramble my calibration?
Changing in brightness scramble the calibration, right?

PS: I founded the Eizo Easy PIX for the same price of the Quato Silver Haze Pro Bundle, do you think that Quato is better than the Easy PIX?
May I know why? Thanks.

PPS: Denis do you know why I have no overdrive features in the S2433 menu while I have it on Foris? How to enable/disable overdrive in S2433?
Thanks.

PPPS: On the prad's review of the S2433 is wrote:
"In the course of the calibration, we have seen that the results should be enjoyed with caution. In the meantime, further tests have shown that conventional colorimeters such as the i1 Display2 or DTP94 are no longer capable of capturing the very large colour spaces of the modern Wide Gamut monitors completely. Future tests for models with such large colour spaces will therefore be carried out using spectral photometers, but unfortunately, this was not possible for this model."
So why you suggest me the DTP94? Thanks.

Last edited:
So why you suggest me the DTP94? Thanks.
As I said: iColor Display 3 implements generic corrections in software - which work very well with the stable DTP94.

6261623636343466.jpg

Best regards

Denis

Last edited:
Hi all,
I'm waiting the Quato bundle...

Can you tell me what software is used by Prad to generate this kind of graph?
deltae-kalibration-srgb.jpg

PS: Do you know if an ICC profile may change the britghness of the screen?

Last edited:
Can you tell me what software is used by Prad to generate this kind of graph?
We are using our own software solution because a simple profile validation (which measures against transformations of the current profile) wouldn't be sufficient to show what we intend to show. However: Quato delivers an embedded version of the UDACT with iColor display which is more significant than a normal profile validation.

Do you know if an ICC profile may change the britghness of the screen?
You can lower the whitelevel via LUT modifications optionally stored in an ICC profile but that will lead to a loss of tonal values and contrast.

Best regards

Denis

We are using our own software solution because a simple profile validation (which measures against transformations of the current profile) wouldn't be sufficient to show what we intend to show. However: Quato delivers an embedded version of the UDACT with iColor display which is more significant than a normal profile validation.

You can lower the whitelevel via LUT modifications optionally stored in an ICC profile but that will lead to a loss of tonal values and contrast.

Best regards

Denis

Many many thanks.

I'm :(

The shop contacted me saying sorry that they are not able to give me DTP94 anymore since it is a discontinued product.
Oh no. and now?

Don't ask me why but my company asked me specifically to give them an italian invoice,
in Italy no one sells DTP94 "flavour" anymore.

The only xrite colorimeter I know now is Eye One Display 2.
Is this a toy compared to DTP94?

Should I buy a Eye One Display 2 or an Eizo EasyPix or what?

Last edited:
monitors are a hard matter, I'm continuing doing my homework and it seems that the only alternative to the DTP94 is the X-Rite Eye One Display 2, from what I read on the net it is better than Spyder 3 so I suppose that it is also better than Eizo EasyPix.

If Denis will give me the permission, I will buy the Eye One.

monitors are a hard matter, I'm continuing doing my homework and it seems that the only alternative to the DTP94 is the X-Rite Eye One Display 2,
Have you tried Ebay? The Silver Haze Pro Bundle (iColor Display + DTP94) is sometimes sold there:

http://cgi.ebay.de/Quato-HAZE-PRO-4.../140532271688?pt=Software&hash=item20b8604a48

If you have no chance of getting it I would look out for a spectrophotometer solution (EyeOne Pro, ColorMunki). iColor Display supports also the cheaper (regarding the EyeOne Pro) ColorMunki (link).

Best regards

Denis

Have you tried Ebay? The Silver Haze Pro Bundle (iColor Display + DTP94) is sometimes sold there:

http://cgi.ebay.de/Quato-HAZE-PRO-4.../140532271688?pt=Software&hash=item20b8604a48

Thanks for the answer.
Unfortunantly I need an Italian invoice, in italy there is no silver haze pro bundle also on ebay.

If you have no chance of getting it I would look out for a spectrophotometer solution (EyeOne Pro, ColorMunki). iColor Display supports also the cheaper (regarding the EyeOne Pro) ColorMunki (link).

Best regards

Denis

Can't belive it.
700K off, this isn't a calibration, this is an un-calibration... its strange since display 2 is sold by nec bundled with spectraview II for wide gamut monitors,
but I don't doubt on what you say danis.
can't understand why xrite dismissed a good product to sell a toy.

spectrophotometer its too expensive... mmm...
I'm stuck for now.

Do you know if the icolor display 3 software let me manually adjust contrast, brightness, red/green/blu channel, during the calibration with the help of DTP94?

I know that some software doesn't let to adjust manually RGB settings,
do you know if icolor software will guide me adjusting RGB parameters?

o you know if the icolor display 3 software let me manually adjust contrast, brightness, red/green/blu channel, during the calibration with the help of DTP94?
Yes, it does and guides you through this process.

Best regards

Denis

Thanks Denis.

Just to understand, if it is possible with my knoledge.
A large deviations of 500K-700K in the white temperature makes a calibrations worse than an uncalibrated monitor.

If Spyder 3 and EyeOne Display 2 makes this large deviations, why this sensors are widely used by Eizo and Nec as default colorimeter for their monitors, Eizo rebrands spyde3 with easypix and Nec rebrands EyeOne disp2 with spectraview, why?

it will only impact the white point and you can still calibrate other areas including gamma curves, luminance, black point, colour fidelity etc. Since you pretty much have to have a spectrophotometer to get around this (apart from the odd customised device - see below) then it's a difficult situation. spectros are very expensive, and X-rite and other manufacturers will still state that colorimeters like the i1 D2 is perfectly adequate for most users anyway. they are far more affordable but ideally you'd want a way to address the slight white point offset.

As Denis has said you can account for this common 500 - 700k deviation through some software programs like iColor. Some of the re-badged versions of the colorimeters are reported to include correction matrices for wide gamut screens (e.g. NEC's i1 Display 2) to account for the offset as well, instead of needing to do it at the software level. Those correction matrices are supposed to be accessed when the device is used on their W gamut screens with their SV software.

As Denis has said you can account for this common 500 - 700k deviation through some software programs like iColor.

This makes me think that the successfull white point calibration done by DTP94+iColor is thanks iColor and not to DTP94.
Infact also prad.de
http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/review/2010/review-dell-u2410-part15.html
points out that DTP94 has far deviations in white point without icolor.

What happen if I use Eye One Display 2 with iColor software?
Will I have the same white point problem?

Yes the only reason the DTP94 was suggested was a because it's regarded as having a good inter-instrument agreement as far as colorimeters go, so they are well factory calibrated and they are reliable against a reference. The spyder series varies massively between different units. The i1D2 is much better than the spyders but there are sometimes some issues according to some sources. Many places regard the i1D2 as an excellent device and a high end colorimeter though, and this is evident by the fact many manufacturers choose it as their bundled device (HP, laic, eizo, nec). Both devices can work with the generic correction from the iColor software

Yes the only reason the DTP94 was suggested was a because it's regarded as having a good inter-instrument agreement as far as colorimeters go, so they are well factory calibrated and they are reliable against a reference. The spyder series varies massively between different units. The i1D2 is much better than the spyders but there are sometimes some issues according to some sources. Many places regard the i1D2 as an excellent device and a high end colorimeter though, and this is evident by the fact many manufacturers choose it as their bundled device (HP, laic, eizo, nec). Both devices can work with the generic correction from the iColor software

It seems that Eye One Display is supported only in CRT flavour, am I wrong?

icolor.png

Hmmm I assumed it would be covered in iColor but perhaps Quato left it out. Better let Denis confirm if it's useable or not....

Since i1 Display 2 is well known to be quite decent, it should be interesting if iColor software correction for wide gamut monitors could be used with this colorimeter.

In any case, is there another bundle that give a DTP94 device?
Quato bundle is really difficult to find here, is there another brand that bundle the DTP94 device?

sblantipodi, maybe you don't need a colorimeter at all. Do you see (as in visually) that your monitor needs it? Do you need color accuracy for work?

sblantipodi, maybe you don't need a colorimeter at all. Do you see (as in visually) that your monitor needs it? Do you need color accuracy for work?

Don't care on what I need, care on what I ask. ;)
I have two S2433W and I would like to have them calibrated to try to make them more "uniform" between each other.

You'll be disappointed when you don't see any changes and the colorimeter doesn't solve your problems. For the money, you might even get a new monitor to play with!

I have wrote to quato to ask them if iColor Display Software supports
XRite Eye One Display 2, they saied me: "YES".

This is quite a good news, if the Eye One could be software corrected by iColor Display software for Wide Gamut monitors, probably will be a decent colorimeter, am I wrong?

From the reviews I read on the net Eye One is a quite good instruments, the only big problem it have is the white point error on the Wide Gamut display, if I can correct the white problem with iColor Display Software, if 2+2=4, i1 Display 2 + iColor Display = quite good colorimeter.

Am I wrong Denis? :)

The issue with the EOD2 and Spyder 3 is not the deviation in wide gamut display measurements, but variability between units. Applying a correction to these will not necessarily lead to accurate measurements, unlike the DTP94 which was found to be quite repeatable.

As above the only risk is variation between units but then he i1D2 is often considered very good. In the absence of a DTP94 it's probably your best bet

The issue with the EOD2 and Spyder 3 is not the deviation in wide gamut display measurements, but variability between units. Applying a correction to these will not necessarily lead to accurate measurements, unlike the DTP94 which was found to be quite repeatable.

From what I read on the net Spyder2/3 is considered to have large deviations between one unit to another unit.
i1 display2 seems to be quite stable between various units, where do you read the i1 disp2 have large deviations between various units?

As above the only risk is variation between units but then he i1D2 is often considered very good. In the absence of a DTP94 it's probably your best bet

Since DTP94 is absent, I would bet, if it have sense, specially if Denis says me that it could have sense :)

There is also other software capable of Wide Gamut Software correction like basiccolor display 4, and it supports i1display2.

Last edited:
I would like to know if there is a definite source for this "Spyder3 unit variation" statement? I've seen it now enough times, but every time it comes with "I've read it somewhere". Who did the testing and how many Spyder units are tested? Is it supported in significant facts or is it self fulfilling prophecy?

I would like to know if there is a definite source for this "Spyder3 unit variation" statement? I've seen it now enough times, but every time it comes with "I've read it somewhere". Who did the testing and how many Spyder units are tested? Is it supported in significant facts or is it self fulfilling prophecy?

I don't know, this is what I read from various reviews, in any case it seems that Spyder 3 lifespan is short and it seems that it produces large deviations in any case of luck.

Back