Best Color Calibration Hardware?

zod96

Suspected BAD TRADER
I'm looking for the best basic color calibration hardware to just do a simple color correction to the stock settings. Nothing to expensive say under $100....

Thanks

Eye One Display 2 is currently the best one available. Uses the same sensor as the X-Rite Optix however lacks good implementation.

The best would be X-Rite Optix (not manufactured anymore) but if you can find one that's your best bet.

That is a bit too much lowest price is $200 at amazon. At the very very most I would spend is about $150

I went with a Spyder 3 Express for under $100, no complaints even though people say its subpar.

I was thinking the spyder 3 express or the eye one display lt

Would either of these be suitable for the new ACD (LED backlight)?

Adam
The led apple cinema is still not wide gamut, so I think you can get by with the eye-one display lt. (I recommend argyll software with that; will do a lot more calibrating than the LT software).

If you were looking at a wide gamut display like the 30" dell/hp, then the higher end spectrometers are better for calibrating. The colormunki design at ~$350 seems to be the current cheapest choice in that area. I just upgraded to that myself.

I've heard though from multiple sources that Spyder 3 Pro is better for wide-gamut than the Eye1.

I've heard though from multiple sources that Spyder 3 Pro is better for wide-gamut than the Eye1.

I haven't. I have read that spectrometers (more $$$$) are better than colorimeters like the Eye1/Spyder 3 for multiple gamut usage. Spyder 3 still can have wide gamut issues:
http://www.freelists.org/post/argyllcms/Correction-for-wide-gamut-screens-andor-RGBLED,4
I recently set up a dual head configuration with a normal and a wide gamut
LCD. I calibrated both to 140 cd/m², D65 and sRGB gamma. Using the Spyder 3 I
always get a red cast on my wide gamut screen
, the standard
LCD however roughly has the same white as my daylight bulbs.

HCFR has tested Spyder 3s and state that a Eye1 is still better, being all consistent and better at dark measurements. The found some average Spyder 3, some very good and some awful. They still recommend avoiding them.

If you go to X-Rite page and use their suggestions in solutions for monitor calibration they recommend Pantone Hueys for amateurs with normal gamut. But if you select wide gamut they will recommend a Eye 1 LT/2.
http://www.xritephoto.com/ph_solutions.aspx

NEC is still shipping Eye1s with wide gamut SV monitors.

Last edited:
I haven't. I have read that spectrometers (more $$$$) are better than colorimeters like the Eye1/Spyder 3 for multiple gamut usage. Spyder 3 still can have wide gamut issues:
The problem is that the filter solutions of consumer colorimeters don't reach the CIE standard observer function. Therefore an initial correction has to be accomplished - normally to a CRT spectrum and a LCD CCFL spectrum (which internal matrix is used can be selected in the software then) without extended color space (72% NTSC). Deviations regarding the reference will lead to deviations in measurement. Other corrections can be carried out in software (in particular: Eizo Color Navigator, Quato iColor Display - its generic corrections allows for usable results with WCG-CCFL screens, especially when using the X-Rite DTP94) or you can use a different initial correction (HP and NEC provide their "own" EOD2 whose "special" correction can be accessed via their software). A colorimeter that matches the standard observer would be univeral, but even the Minolta CS 200 doesn't completely reach this aim. I know of one german solution (Color Mouse) that sounds good and the new Discus of BasICColor also promises flexible usage - but I haven't tested it yet.

Matching of two screens with different spectra is a problem even when using the right equipment. That's because normally the spectral curves of the 2 degree observer are used. For a wider field of view these curves differ slightly.
http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1036129955&postcount=133

The led apple cinema is still not wide gamut, so I think you can get by with the eye-one display lt. (I recommend argyll software with that; will do a lot more calibrating than the LT software).
But it doesn't emit the same spectrum as a CCFL backlighted screen without extended color space. That's why Quato has also implemented corrections for a White-LED (72% NTSC) spectrum in their newest iColor version - although deviations are less dramatic compared to WCG-CCFL or RGB-LED spectra.

Best regards

Denis

Last edited:
So just for clarity: would my best (cheap) solution for calibrating an ACD be an Eye-One Display LT with Quato iColor Display?

Adam

But it doesn't emit the same spectrum as a CCFL backlighted screen without extended color space. That's why Quato has also implemented corrections for a White-LED (72% NTSC) spectrum in their newest iColor version - although deviations are less dramatic compared to WCG-CCFL or RGB-LED spectra.
Interesting, I've not seen any such adjustment or description of it for the other calibration software (eye-one match, colormunki, argyllcms, dispcalGUI). I assume this only applies to colorimeters? (there are only colorimeter corrections in iColorDisplay's DeviceCorrections.txt.)
Perhaps the other calibration software is able to handle LED simply by getting the white point set right?

So just for clarity: would my best (cheap) solution for calibrating an ACD be an Eye-One Display LT with Quato iColor Display?
If you download icolorDisplay it won't let you calibrate anything, as it's just a crippled demo, and there is seemingly no way to buy a license key in the US.

argyllcms/dispcalGUI will let you make calibration adjustments, and are free. However it's not clear to me whether you need an LED adjustment with that software.

I assume this only applies to colorimeters?
Yes a spectrophotometer works differently - although there are also limitations that are based on the sample intervall which is (consumer solutions like EyeOne Pro and ColorMunki) twice as coarse as the fogra recommendation of <= 5nm (the 3.3nm you can achieve with Argyll and the EOP is without oversampling) - but we achieved feasible results even with current RGB-LED backlight displays (108% NTSC).

Argyll now allows the usage of 3x3 correction matrices and it can calculate them self based on two measurements (colorimeter + reference device) but you need the reference.

Best regards

Denis

Yes a spectrophotometer works differently - although there are also limitations that are based on the sample intervall which is (consumer solutions like EyeOne Pro and ColorMunki) twice as coarse as the fogra recommendation of <= 5nm (the 3.3nm you can achieve with Argyll and the EOP is without oversampling) - but we achieved feasible results even with current RGB-LED backlight displays (108% NTSC).

Argyll now allows the usage of 3x3 correction matrices and it can calculate them self based on two measurements (colorimeter + reference device) but you need the reference.

Best regards

Denis
I know spectrometer > colorimeter, yet you lump the two together in your statement about consumer devices.
So still not clear whether you're claiming this adjustment only applies to colorimeters.

Yes, I showed in the other thread that argyll can do correction, in fact it seems to use the same format as iColor Display that you keep mentioning (that nobody has a license to use).

If this correction you're talking about involves a correction that isn't perceptible to the human eye than it's really not worth mentioning for users. So I'm wondering if you can quantify things?

The caveat about needing the right reference would apply to iColor Display too.

I know spectrometer > colorimeter, yet you lump the two together in your statement about consumer devices.
So still not clear whether you're claiming this adjustment only applies to colorimeters.
I wouldn't call them better in all regards - at least when we are talking about the consumer devices which have disadvantages with low luminance measurement and a coarse sample intervall. But yes, they need no correction.

The caveat about needing the right reference would apply to iColor Display too.
No because you have precalculateted matrices (the generic corrections). They were averaged over screens with slightly different spectra (92-102% NTSC - they have individual corrections for their own screens too) and many colorimeter of one type to compensate for inter instrument deviations. Because EOD2 and SpyderIII have quite high deviations among individual samples (if not handpicked) these precalculated corrections are not as effective as when using it with the "stable" DTP94. This device is quite far away from the standard observer (through its anorganic, very age resistant filter solution) but they deviate much less among each other. Argyll builds the matrix from your own measurements or you can of course use your own one.

f this correction you're talking about involves a correction that isn't perceptible to the human ey
It's very perceptible (and as I said: Not only Quato considers that). Here an example for a screen with WCG-CCFL backlight (102% NTSC) with/ without usage of the generic correction (individual correction with EOP as reference is listed beneath):
http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/review/2010/review-dell-u2410-part15.html#Correction

Although only possible on a CCT base (which says little but is at least a hint) you can also compare measurements of for example tftcentral who are using the Lacie BlueEye Pro.

NEC PA241W factory setting (native color temp):
Our EOP measurement: 6435K (quite far away from blackbody curve)
Lacie BlueEye Pro: 5392K (no additional colorimetric information)

Best regards

Denis

Last edited:
I wouldn't call them better in all regards - at least when we are talking about the consumer devices which have disadvantages with low luminance measurement and a coarse sample intervall. But yes, they need no correction.

No because you have precalculateted matrices (the generic corrections). They were averaged over screens with slightly different spectra (92-102% NTSC - they have individual corrections for their own screens too) and many colorimeter of one type to compensate for inter instrument deviations. Because EOD2 and SpyderIII have quite high deviations among individual samples (if not handpicked) these precalculated corrections are not as effective as when using it with the "stable" DTP94. This device is quite far away from the standard observer (through its anorganic, very age resistant filter solution) but they deviate much less among each other. Argyll builds the matrix from your own measurements or you can of course use your own one.

It's very perceptible (and as I said: Not only Quato considers that). Here an example for a screen with WCG-CCFL backlight (102% NTSC) with/ without usage of the generic correction (individual correction with EOP as reference is listed beneath):
http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/review/2010/review-dell-u2410-part15.html#Correction
The original question was whether consumer colorimeters were suitable for the apple cinema display. You claim they aren't, but I haven't seen where you show that the results are not suitable. Other reviewers such as Anandtech found no problems with apple cinema calibrated with a colorimeter.

You quote a review for a wide-gamut monitor as justification, but the monitor in question is not wide-gamut.

You keep recommending iColor Display for calibration correction, but never address the issue that the only version available is a demo that doens't allow any calibration.

You suggest that iColor Display can do better calibration adjustments, but these are just fixed 3x3 matrices that can be applied to free software such as argyll as well.

u quote a review for a wide-gamut monitor as justification, but the monitor in question is not wide-gamut.
It's only indirectly a gamut question. Important is the emitted spectrum. I have recently tested a screen with White-LED Backlight while using the DTP94. Deviations were not as bad as with a WCG-CCFL or RGB-LED backlight screen but usage of a correction matrix helped (=> an EOP is no ideal reference but I have no quick access to something like a Minolta CS 2000) to achieve a more correct result. Btw: The DTP94 has the characteristic to deliver consistent results relative to the wrong whitepoint when compared to measurements of the EOP => After chromatic adaptation to a common base (for example D50 in the ICC workflow) the readings are comparable. Doesn't help much during calibration but leads to very similar ICC profiles. In contrast to that we got absolute wrong gamut measurement when using a Spyder3 with a RGB-LED backlight screen.

White-LED backlight (72% NTSC):
3433613363653562.jpg

CCFL backlight (72% NTSC):
3961643866396564.jpg

Other reviewers such as Anandtech found no problems with apple cinema calibrated with a colorimeter.
Which reference was used - apart from a profile validation with the same probe (which will of course show no problems)? Saying that I must point out that most (doesn't mean all - haven't read Anandtechs tests yet) colorimetrical tests of consumer magazines are based on a wrong workflow in which especially the expressiveness of a simple profile validation is misunderstood (and such a function is also often misused).

u keep recommending iColor Display for calibration correction, but never address the issue that the only version available is a demo that doens't allow any calibration.
iColor Display is widely available in Europe (separately or bundled with the DTP94) but I've already heard that it is problematic to get overseas. Sry for the European perspective - there should be ways to import it (?). But I think that we will see other suitable consumer colorimeter solutions in the near future. Already mentioned the Discus of BasICColor.

You suggest that iColor Display can do better calibration adjustments, but these are just fixed 3x3 matrices that can be applied to free software such as argyll as well.
Never said anything else. I only wanted to say that they provide precalculated matrices which can be "extracted" of course (an undocumented "feature" through the "open storage" in a txt-file). At least at the moment.But when you are using Argyll and don't have access to correction matrices you must have your own reference device as there are no generic ones bundled with it.

Best regards

Denis

Last edited:
It's only indirectly a gamut question. Important is the emitted spectrum.
Perhaps but you haven't quantified how much any of your information matters to the subject at hand - that being whether consumer colorimeters are suitable for the apple cinema display.

Now you added a graph, which seems to show delta E<3, thus no problem for the user who isn't trying to be a calibration engineer.

Now you added a graph, which seems to show delta E<3, thus no problem for the user who isn't trying to be a calibration engineer.
The graph shows the emitted spectrum no color difference. Just wanted to show the differences regarding the spectrum. Nevertheless: DeltaE when using the DTP94 actually wasn't much higher than ~4 regarding measured whitepoint of the EOP (CCT was the same). But there was a difference in measured brightness which I haven't experienced when comparing CCFL, WCG-CCFL and RGB-LED measurements with the same instrument configuration.

Perhaps but you haven't quantified how much any of your information matters to the subject at hand - that being whether consumer colorimeters are suitable for the apple cinema display.
Without a really good reference like the high end Minolta devices (with fine sample intervall) and considering the low inter instrument agreement of most consumer devices it's quite difficult to make a general assertion in this case. Maybe that's our misunderstanding.

The results will be less incorrect (regarding color difference without consideration of luminance differences) than with WCG-CCFL or RGB-LED backlight. If you have a suitable correction matrix on hand (such as in iColor Display > 3.6 for 72% NTSC White-LED screens) you should use it - otherwise you may can live without it. Things can turn when measuring other White-LED displays with again different spectral characteristic (I'm thinking of notebooks for example).

Best regards

Denis

Last edited:
Back