Best Client/Server AV for small businesses?

Easius

Limp Gawd
Wondering what people recommend - have quite a few small businesses with less than 50 users.

Which Anti-Virus do people use? I would like to run the management console on one of the servers. It would be good if the AV was centrally managed.

Key Features (Figure these are probably available on most of these...)
Install through network/GPO
Updates pushed from server
Reporting/Alarms for infections found

I've already used AVG Business Edition and wasn't super happy with the interface. I've also used Trend Micro and have had it let quite a few infections through.

Was looking at the possibility of Symantec Endpoint Protection Small Business Edition but have never use the SBE version. Is there much difference between that and the full?

I used to use Symantec Endpoint Protection for my company and although I did not mind it I did notice it do some very weird things. We tested alot of AV solutions and went with Sophos in the end. Honestly I am not to sure I am all that thrilled on it and at the end of contract I may look into a different solution.

Have you looked at something like GFI max(now max focus).

You bill your client monthly for the service. You can run vipre or bitdefender av and you manage it through their website. You can turn on what you want with the agent but things like online backup, reporting, asset tracking, etc. It has the option to run a commercial teamviewer to do remote access and use it as a support tool.

Kaspersky is really easy to set up and push out and maintain policies and updates.

I agree with the Avast business free recommendation. Free and managed in the cloud so it's pretty nice. It does not allow real granular access to settings but did I mention it was free?

As always, not sure how long it will stay free but it's a good option for now.

I think even 50 users is large enough to warrant a paid AV with a centralized management console.

You also have to factor in things like definition download bandwidth, exclusion policies, scan settings, etc. Do you really want to manually duplicate that 50 times whenever you need to make a change? Depending on how big your Internet pipe is, even centralized deployed of definition files may be worth it.

I think even 50 users is large enough to warrant a paid AV with a centralized management console.

You also have to factor in things like definition download bandwidth, exclusion policies, scan settings, etc. Do you really want to manually duplicate that 50 times whenever you need to make a change? Depending on how big your Internet pipe is, even centralized deployed of definition files may be worth it.

The free version of Avast Business gives you all of this except for the local definition repository.

Back