Best chair I ever sat in - $144. Serta Hensley

I had a Serta Jennings but it didn't go high enough and the Lumbar was next to nothing I curbed it just to get rid of it. Someone picked it up at night I'm using a Serta Icomfort I5000 luckily it broke it to where I don't have to sit upright all the time it was pretty annoying at first. I think the spring in front got some play to it. I own a gaming chair but I only use it for gaming because it's a Killer Bee chair that does a number on you if your not use to it.

I've had an issue with the way I sit in the chair.. I remember 1 review on amazon about someone mentioning it and not understanding what she ment at the time.

Anyways.. you butt sinks far into the seat. And because of that and the way the front of the seat is angled up(chair is like C shapped) it puts pressure on the bottom of my thighs. Cuts off the blood circulation to my legs. I wanted to get a foot rest for it to counter it but over the year plus I never bothered as I have not used the pc that much with other projects.

Still would like to get some foot rest it's just that their is so many options it becomes overwhelming. Needs to be adjustable as I'm not sure exactly what height would be best.

Anyways.. I'm 6'4" tall and around 270lbs.

Also dont really care for the thin arm rest padding but sure I could add some padding to it if needed.

I'm waiting for this thing to go back on sale. I went to Office Depot tonight and its $450.. I like it but not that much. There was another Serta chair there as well that felt great on the seat padding but the back was too low for me.

I'm waiting for this thing to go back on sale. I went to Office Depot tonight and its $450.. I like it but not that much. There was another Serta chair there as well that felt great on the seat padding but the back was too low for me.
Black Fridays it usually goes on sale for ~$250. Still the best chair I've ever sat in. Feels 90% like new (I purchased mine on BF 2016). No seat flattening to speak off like a normal seat cushion that flattens out after a year or two. I’m 280-285lbs, 6’3”

For comparison I bought a $300 Lazy Boy leather office chair on sale for $200 at the same time from Costco and I was going to return the lesser liked chair. We ended up keeping both and the Lazy Boy went into the spare bedroom for the occasional guest or party. I’ve sat in that Lazy Boy easily less than <1% of the time I’ve sat in the Serta Hensley, and nobody sits in the Lazy Boy daily like the Serta. The Lazy boys cushioning feels much flatter than new (or in comparison to the Serta) by this time.

My only complaint with the Serta Hensley is the arm rest material is bonded leather and has started to crack and peel on the side.

Last edited:
Out of all the chairs I tried there plus others I have tried over the years, that was at the top. The other that was close but didn't have a high enough back was the Serta icomfort the seat cushioning itself was perfect. I'm not overly "big" height wise I'm 6' 260lbs but I like the high back that I can put my head on and the seat cushioning didn't feel immediately flattened by my weight

Yep, owned one, it barely lasted a year before the padding wore out and now I sit on an extra pad to help it till I get a better chair.
Serta Hensley? With the Serta bed springs? How much do you weigh?

Serta Hensley? With the Serta bed springs? How much do you weigh?

Weight around 220 lb. I sit in that chair for many hours a day too. Seems every chair I have purchased from Office Depot or similar are all cheaply built and won't last very long.

Weight around 220 lb. I sit in that chair for many hours a day too. Seems every chair I have purchased from Office Depot or similar are all cheaply built and won't last very long.
Serta Hensley? Or some other model.

it has a 10year warranty. Contact serta?

dunno i'm on year 3 with mine and the seat padding is fine.. only thing i'm having issues with is the pleather on the arms is falling apart and flaking off around the edges.

I cannot speak to the armrests since I never put them on mine but the Jennings I bought on late Oct 2017 is still like brand new and I have used it for hours a day every day since I bought it here at my shop.

dunno i'm on year 3 with mine and the seat padding is fine.. only thing i'm having issues with is the pleather on the arms is falling apart and flaking off around the edges.

Mine is not flaking yet.. 2 years old guessing. Though I never liked the thin padding on the arms and will have no problem figuring out how to recover them and using twice as much padding. ;)

So I bought a Lazy Boy chair from Costco within a couple days of my purchase of the Serta Hensley chair. I had planned to take back whichever chair I didn't prefer, but ended up keeping both, simply because both chairs were so much better than the cheapo $80 office chair we had.

The Lazy Boy was the same price ish, and it's been in a guest bedroom nearly its whole life since BF 2016, without much use at all.

Because of Covid 19 I have been working from home for a month and a half. I adopted the Lazy Boy chair as my work from home chair simply because I'm too lazy to move my more comfortable Serta Hensley chair back and forth from my gaming desk to my WFH desk a couple rooms over.

In just over 1 month of working from home I've flattened the cushion on the Lazy Boy to the point it's not very comfortable with my 280lb 6'3" body. By contrast, sitting in my PC gaming chair, the Serta Hensley, nearly every day for a couple hours at least, and easily 8 hours on weekends, the Serta chair's bedspring based seat cushion still feels almost as good as new these years later.

Still super impressed with my Serta Hensley chair. I will buy another one when it fails.

Lazy Boy ~ 1.5 months of regular use
B92C2C5A-7817-49CB-AF90-9B48156816D5.jpeg

Serta Hensley ~ regular use since Black Friday 2016.
A3A794E9-967E-494B-94B1-5334F4CB32EC.jpeg

Last edited:
F**K this thread always pops and makes me want this deal and what I missed out on lol.

Still happy with mine too.

I'm an IT guy so it gets used constantly.
Only issue was having to put Loctite on the bolts for the arm rests as they would loosen up over time.

I just bought another one this time for home. I paid $250 out the door at Office Depot and don’t regret it at all. My work chair is still going strong since my last post.

and then, there is me who looks through the thread and just being extremely jealous.
I definitely wasn't prepared for all this isolation thing and working remotely in particular. Now, I have to seat on the kitchen stool and pray to merlin for my back to be ok -____-
although, i miss our nice office chairs (

and then, there is me who looks through the thread and just being extremely jealous.
I definitely wasn't prepared for all this isolation thing and working remotely in particular. Now, I have to seat on the kitchen stool and pray to merlin for my back to be ok -____-
although, i miss our nice office chairs (
You know they still sell chairs, right?

You know they still sell chairs, right?

lol indeed
but I'm trying my best to go through all this without spending extra money (which I have 0$)
so many people I know are without their jobs already, and I'd rather think about paying rent, not a chair ;(

(but definitely will get a nice one afterward lol)

Update necro...

So October 2017, based on this thread, I got the Serta Jennings. Has been a super comfortable chair. Thought I'd update on a bit over 4 years later. Still super comfortable. But..... starting mid last year the bonded leather started peeling on the bottom which is a bummer. If these were all fabric or real leather then I'd think it was a great chair. But at the price I got it back then $139 that was still not terrible. Realistically got close to 4 year out of it before the cheap bonded leather started going so thats only $35 a year for a great chair. In that respect I cannot really complain.

Edit to add.... I'll update when I find out but these are made by True Innovations and they still have these models (a lot more $$$ now). I've contacted their support page to see what the cost would be for a replacement bottom cushion. https://www.trueinnovations.com/office-seating-support/

If its under $100 that would be fine with me to be honest....

Last edited:
Update necro...

So October 2017, based on this thread, I got the Serta Jennings. Has been a super comfortable chair. Thought I'd update on a bit over 4 years later. Still super comfortable. But..... starting mid last year the bonded leather started peeling on the bottom which is a bummer. If these were all fabric or real leather then I'd think it was a great chair. But at the price I got it back then $139 that was still not terrible. Realistically got close to 4 year out of it before the cheap bonded leather started going so thats only $35 a year for a great chair. In that respect I cannot really complain.

Edit to add.... I'll update when I find out but these are made by True Innovations and they still have these models (a lot more $$$ now). I've contacted their support page to see what the cost would be for a replacement bottom cushion. https://www.trueinnovations.com/office-seating-support/

Wonder what it would cost to have reupholstered?

With the amount of various sections, probably a good bit more than a typical car seat. Maybe less if they simplify the sides. As it is there are two different types of fabric, fabric piping, etc all in different sections. Would definitely be a couple hundred bucks. That actually might not be a terrible option as you could then have real top quality materials of your choice. But then would also want to do the entire back as well so it matches. At that point, I'd say not worth the expense. This same chair today at Office Depot is $469.99 but on sale for $359.99. Makes the $139.99 I got it for 4 years ago seem like an absolute steal now. lol
I'm just hoping that since it is still a current model that maybe they will sell just a new seat bottom.

343598.jpg

Update necro...

I had the same chair for a year now I had one before that but it didn't go as high with the lift.
Thinking of curbing my gaming chair just to make space I never use it and you can only sit in one chair at a time.
My Boss at work bought one of those Titan Chairs gaming chairs his back is all messed up he's on Muscle relaxers now.

My Boss at work bought one of those Titan Chairs gaming chairs his back is all messed up he's on Muscle relaxers now.
I was tempted to get one of those myself, but they just look like a glorified gaming chair IMO. Looking to replace my Lazy Boy Sam's Club chair at some point, but haven't found anything as of yet.

I was tempted to get one of those myself, but they just look like a glorified gaming chair IMO. Looking to replace my Lazy Boy Sam's Club chair at some point, but haven't found anything as of yet.
I bought a lazy boy leather chair from Sam’s or Costco. Can’t remember and my Serta Hensley chair is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY better to me. At the time they cost petty similar. I think the lazy boy was between $200 and $250 and I got the Serta Hensley chair from this original post. I now have two Serta Hensley chairs and they are both holding up well. I got the second one when my job offered to buy all employees a new chair for COVID work from home. I still have the lazy boy too but it’s in the spare bedroom largely unused. I’ve worked from home the last nearly three years and I weigh 285 pounds and the Serta Hensley still looks and functions as new. I sit in my Serta chairs probably 10-12 hours most days between work and gaming. One at work desk. One at gaming desk.

Update - got an email back from True Innovations.... the seat bottom cushion is pretty darn cheap! Back ordered for a couple of months but I'm fine with that.

"Thank you for contacting True Innovations!
Please be advised that the seat cushion is sold for $ 25.00, plus shipping.
To place an order and provide payment, kindly contact our Customer Service department at (800) 379-9773. Please have your model number readily available. (45314 )
** Please contact us around end of March as the cushions are on back order **"

To all of those of you who have used a Serta Hensley or Jennings (or other similar Serta chairs), do the comfort coils make a significant difference as opposed to a mere foam seat?

I ask because I'm considering buying a Serta chair, and am torn between two options (one with comfort coils and one without) that are currently on sale at the Wal-Mart website.

As I'm only 5'7 and about 140 pounds, the Hensley and Jennings would probably be too big for me, but the Serta Infinite Lumbar Support chair appears to be very similar to the Jennings, except that it is smaller and offers the ability to adjust the lumbar cushion.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Serta-In...-Office-Chair-Black-Bonded-Leather/1005281204

Like the Jennings and Hensley, it has comfort coils in the seat. However (also like the Jennings and Hensley), it doesn't offer the ability to adjust the angle or height of the backrest. The Serta Ergo, on the other hand, offers the ability to adjust virtually everything, including the backrest height and angle. However, it appears not to have comfort coils.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Serta-Ergo-Executive-Office-Chair-in-Black-Bonded-Leather/26095172

Which option would likely be better? Are the comfort coils worth giving up the ability to adjust the height and angle of the backrest? Do the coils make the seat stay soft and cushiony for longer (ie, do pure foam seats wear out or go flat quicker)? How much of a downside is the inability to adjust the backrest?

To all of those of you who have used a Serta Hensley or Jennings (or other similar Serta chairs), do the comfort coils make a significant difference as opposed to a mere foam seat?

I ask because I'm considering buying a Serta chair, and am torn between two options (one with comfort coils and one without) that are currently on sale at the Wal-Mart website.

As I'm only 5'7 and about 140 pounds, the Hensley and Jennings would probably be too big for me, but the Serta Infinite Lumbar Support chair appears to be very similar to the Jennings, except that it is smaller and offers the ability to adjust the lumbar cushion.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Serta-In...-Office-Chair-Black-Bonded-Leather/1005281204

Like the Jennings and Hensley, it has comfort coils in the seat. However (also like the Jennings and Hensley), it doesn't offer the ability to adjust the angle or height of the backrest. The Serta Ergo, on the other hand, offers the ability to adjust virtually everything, including the backrest height and angle. However, it appears not to have comfort coils.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Serta-Ergo-Executive-Office-Chair-in-Black-Bonded-Leather/26095172

Which option would likely be better? Are the comfort coils worth giving up the ability to adjust the height and angle of the backrest? Do the coils make the seat stay soft and cushiony for longer (ie, do pure foam seats wear out or go flat quicker)? How much of a downside is the inability to adjust the backrest?
I weigh ~280 lbs and any foam seat is a flat pancake after six month. The coils still haven’t worn out at all since I bought mine years ago. So yeah, I’m a huge fan of the coils. They are like a nice mattress coil and seem to last and last!

Update on my post from Jan 31st a couple up. Just called TI customer service (option 7) and gave them the part number. Still $25 but with the shipping and tax the total was like $80. Still worth it (the bottom cushion is pretty big) and still vastly cheaper than an new chair. Anyways, ordered, they said I'd get an email receipt and then tracking info within a week. I'll update again once I get it in.

Easy to swap. Took less than 10 minutes and had to remove and reinstall 8 bolts. Shipping was quick and the box was pretty huge. These are some big chairs though. New bottom is identical. A bit duller looking since its new. Also had not realized how much I'd compressed the original over the past 3 years. On looking close and comparing, seems to have compressed about a full inch. I feel like I'm sitting a lot higher up now. lol
So yeah - expensive chairs, will certainly not last forever but as long as they still make parts and have good customer service then fairly cheap to replace a part. Should be good to go for a few more years now.

IMG_20230321_145901987.jpg

Easy to swap. Took less than 10 minutes and had to remove and reinstall 8 bolts. Shipping was quick and the box was pretty huge. These are some big chairs though. New bottom is identical. A bit duller looking since its new. Also had not realized how much I'd compressed the original over the past 3 years. On looking close and comparing, seems to have compressed about a full inch. I feel like I'm sitting a lot higher up now. lol
So yeah - expensive chairs, will certainly not last forever but as long as they still make parts and have good customer service then fairly cheap to replace a part. Should be good to go for a few more years now.

View attachment 558196
I’m surprised they sell them for so cheap/

View attachment 558196
They make one with arms? That looks really comfy. Might be a good winter chair 'round these parts.

They make one with arms? That looks really comfy. Might be a good winter chair 'round these parts.
I think he just removed his arms.

Look at the namesake in the thread title. Serta Hensley. Unfortunately, no longer as cheap as they once were and seem to rarely go on as deep a sale.

Amazon sells them, as does Office Depot. Make sure and pick up a Serta model with Serta comfort coils. (Bedspring coils in the seat)

https://www.amazon.com/LayersTM-Hensley-Ergonomic-Leather-High-Back/dp/B01N0UOTOS/

https://www.officedepot.com/a/products/836787/Serta-Smart-Layers-Hensley-Big-andamp/

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.

It comes with them.... I just have them off so it fits under my desk. Some of the other models, the arms cannot be removed. Being able to remove them was one of the specific reasons I wanted this model. And yeas as Archaea mentioned, they seem to be far more expensive these days. Probably have to just be patient and keep an eye out for Office Depot to put them on sale but I doubt they will ever go for as cheap as they used to be. I can say without hesitation that this has been the best chair I've ever had. I hate that its bonded leather which will eventually peel off after a few years but if I can get replacement parts for this cheap I can live with that. That being said, over 3 years I probably sat in this chair 3-4 hours a day 6 days a week so it is pretty heavy usage. I weigh around 185-190 so that is also a factor.

Edit to add..... they are also still making them. In other words the parts and ones at stores are not old stock from one production run from a few years ago. The replacement bottom cushion that came in for mine the other day has a Sept 2022 manufacture date on it. So that is also a plus knowing that it is still a current model and still being made.

Last edited:
I've had the Serta Arlington Air for like 5 years now. The PU leather is cracking but hasn't flaked off quite yet. I did end up replacing the mount/tilt mechanism last year with a heavy duty replacement from Amazon (the pivot point wollored out the hole on the original so it leaned a little to the left). I'd like to get a new one I but I spent like $170 for this thing and it's now above $300. It is supremely comfortable though; way better than all these newer chairs that are like sitting on wood.

rip, mines still going strong after 7 years.. only damage is the edges of the arm rest padding but not a huge deal. still have to tighten the arms every 8-10 months but if thats all i have to do can't really complain for a 140 dollar chair. keep hoping one day the bolts will strip or something so i can finally buy myself a secretlabs titan but hasn't happened yet..

I'm in direct need of new chair and this one looks so comfortabe. Too bad I can't get one for that $144 price. Spending $450 on a new chair feels bad.

Back