Best chair I ever sat in - $144. Serta Hensley

Can you de mount the arm rest on this chair or are they needed to support the back of the chair ?

you can but i wouldn't recommend it.. the only thing supporting the back is 4 bolts on the steel plate that attaches the back to the bottom of the chair.. it's not thick enough or bent in any way to support you sitting in it without the arms attached to the side of the chair.. as far as the model with the adjustable arm rests i don't know how the base is designed for that.. either way i'd leave them connected, the back of the chair isn't as straight as people have claimed. at first the mechinism to lean back is really stiff but after having the chair for a little over a month it's perfect now.

wow, i have almost exactly the same chair and it's been the best chair i ever owned, i want another, i will keep watching.....
hopefully tomorrow, it will drop....

thanks to the OP for the post!

it randomly goes on sale and never for the same price as the previous one.. the original was 140'ish then 160 then 189. you just have to check their website periodically and hope you get lucky.. i paid 160 before taxes for mine.

I bought this last night, and I ended up paying $192. I used an alternate email address to sign up for offers and got a 20% off coupon. I can't wait to pick it up tomorrow.

Last edited:
I bought this last night, and I ended up paying $192. I used an alternate email address to sign up for offers and got a 20% off coupon. I can't wait to pick it up tomorrow.
Same here, the 20% off works on the sale price.

It’s not the same chair. They don’t feel the same. The Hensley and the Jennings have difference size bottom seats with the Hensley being significantly deeper.

You can sit on both in store.

I’m sure it’s subjective, but the Hensley is a much better fit to my body and my instant preference. I do wish the Hensley has adjustable arms, but not at the expense of the seat.

It’s not the same chair. They don’t feel the same. The Hensley and the Jennings have difference size bottom seats with the Hensley being significantly deeper.
I’m sure it’s subjective, but the Hensley is a much better fit to my body and my instant preference. I do wish the Hensley has adjustable arms, but not at the expense of the seat.

By deeper do you mean thickness of the cushion?
And by size do you mean length, width, height/depth/thickness, see my confusion. I hates the engrish language.
Measuring_html_6ade4c3e.gif

By deeper do you mean thickness of the cushion?
And by size do you mean length, width, height/depth/thickness, see my confusion. I hates the engrish language.
Measuring_html_6ade4c3e.gif
By deeper l meant the front to rear distance as in the top left image. The Hensley chair seat is longer from the back of the seat towards the front of the seat.

It's taller than most. One of the reasons I like this chair so much is it has the suspension to lift my big upper body back up when I'm leaning back! Most chairs I sit in I just almost fall backwards. I'm too heavy in the upper body. Was a weight lifter for a solid decade or so. People see me and ask if I was a college football player fairly regularly. Just trying to relay my build for you to make an informed decison.

Shows to be about 27 - 28" from sear to back rest height - But it'll be more considering your butt will sink into the comfy cloud (i mean chair). And no swamp @$$ either. I can sit in this thing all day for a extended gaming session with no issue.

At this price --- heck, even at $180 don't think twice -- since your a bigger guy.

I'll vouch for it. Mine is almost a year old. I sit in it nearly every day for a couple hours at least. It still looks brand new and feels like brand new. No flaking or peeling of any sort!

View attachment 38377 View attachment 38378 View attachment 38379

Can you measure the seat bottom width between the front of the arms? This is usually my fail point for chairs.

By deeper l meant the front to rear distance as in the top left image. The Hensley chair seat is longer from the back of the seat towards the front of the seat.

I don't have any experience with the Hensley, but I find the Jennings to be a bit short from front-to-back. It's just about my only complaint, but it's an annoying one. (I'm 6'3" tall.)

Can you measure the seat bottom width between the front of the arms? This is usually my fail point for chairs.

Hensley is:

20” deep without counting any back rest compression of cushion

23” wise between arm rests

Attachments

• BD45C066-A298-4924-B414-8068FD6BEB8E.jpeg
    BD45C066-A298-4924-B414-8068FD6BEB8E.jpeg
    174.8 KB · Views: 28
  • D8D842CF-A96F-4EC4-BF30-F65C0ED575CC.jpeg
    D8D842CF-A96F-4EC4-BF30-F65C0ED575CC.jpeg
    197.1 KB · Views: 27
I was shopping around for the chairs this week.

I got the hensley, but didnt realize it was MUCH taller than my other chair and a lot of other chairs available. My desk is like 24inches tall from the ground, old chair was around 25inches from the ground on the armrests.

The new chair is close to 28. Way too high to use the mouse. I will probably get a new desk eventually, but i prefer to be lower to the ground anyway, and the armrests kinda push my shoulders up. Im 6 feet 2in, 270lb.

I guess il try the jennings maybe if i can find one.

BUY THIS WEEK BEFORE SUNDAY!

The guy working there said they were having a "chair sale" next week. I checked the ads and they are RAISING PRICES again! So much for a chair blowout "sale".

Staples next week ad actually has all the prices going way down. How is the Glenvar?

I think the other will be the same height. I did read a review somewhere or another on them where someone said they just got a different gas cylinder that was shorter. No idea on where though....

Giving mine the flood test..... :cry:
TLDR version - building getting new roof, one of the temp tarps got loose in the wind, flooding is the results. Sucks. Roofers insurance will cover but still major pain in the ass.

> 1 year and 3 month update.

We have a lazy boy office chair upstairs, it was brought down for a party, and just kind of happenstance I started sitting in it for about a week to see how it compares. The material in the seat on the lazy boy ($300 ish) chair is flattening quickly after less than a week. (mostly just my 8 year old daughter has sat in it over the last year - purchased at the same time new and I much preferred the Serta - then and now!). I can tell a big difference in the foam's flattening in just the week. Last night I flipped back to my Serta chair. Amazing. It feels brand new still - those springs don't flatten!

I weigh 285lbs --- I've sat on this chair for over a year. It still has a great feel in the seat. A+++ chair!!! Will buy again.

PS - not one bit of leather flaking yet.

fyi
After setting in a used Hensley at a customers house, i decided to get one.
Paid a total of $243.75. Office depot wanted $299.

I took a chance and ordered from https://www.progressivepii.com/
I chatted with one of their customer service reps the day before and had put in the cart, so they had my email. The next day I got an email saying I'd left something in the cart, use the code IAMBACK to save 10%.
Subtotal: $213.83
Coupon Code (IAMBACK): -$21.38
Shipping: $32.72
Tax : $18.58

will update if it arrives, fingers crossed

Last edited:
Little over a year update on the Jennings one I bought.... after getting totally soaked from a roof leak, dried out, used literally daily (7 days a week) for probably at least 4 to 6 hours a day it is still like brand new. All materials are perfect and still as comfy as the day I got it. I'm not a huge guy but I do average around 190lbs so I'm not really tiny by any means either.

I figured I would write about my experience with this chair since I saw the bump...I purchased the chair new from OD in June. I have sat in the chair maybe a total of 100 hours (I think it is less) and I am beyond unsatisfied with this POS. First issue is the right arm makes a creaking sound if even attempt to shift your weight at all. I tightened all the screws every few weeks and despite the sound none were lose. I do not, and have never, rocked in the chair, nor attempted to move it by grabbing and arm and pulling on it.

The second, and major issue, is the lack of lumbar support anymore. I am 6'5", roughly 250lbs (my weight goes from 240~255 depending on some health issues). There is just simply ZERO lumbar support anymore. IT is like it just disappeared. The side bolsters are still nice and super firm (too firm really) but a child could easily push in the lumbar area and watch it deflate like a balloon. I have not had time to attempt to talk to OD about the issue, as the last 60 days has been filled with endless doctor appointements, procedures, and 2 surgeries with 1 more to come for the wifey.

I guess if you are a tiny framed person (with zero back issues) that weighs 120lbs then the chair would be fine, but I will never recommend it to anyone else. It is really disappointing for the money I paid for it and the fact it is basically brand new (still smells new!!!). I sat in it last week for ~8 hours, with a break every 15 minutes, including 2 that were longer then 20 minutes, and had so much back pain I could barely walk.

I figured I would write about my experience with this chair since I saw the bump...I purchased the chair new from OD in June. I have sat in the chair maybe a total of 100 hours (I think it is less) and I am beyond unsatisfied with this POS. First issue is the right arm makes a creaking sound if even attempt to shift your weight at all. I tightened all the screws every few weeks and despite the sound none were lose. I do not, and have never, rocked in the chair, nor attempted to move it by grabbing and arm and pulling on it.

The second, and major issue, is the lack of lumbar support anymore. I am 6'5", roughly 250lbs (my weight goes from 240~255 depending on some health issues). There is just simply ZERO lumbar support anymore. IT is like it just disappeared. The side bolsters are still nice and super firm (too firm really) but a child could easily push in the lumbar area and watch it deflate like a balloon. I have not had time to attempt to talk to OD about the issue, as the last 60 days has been filled with endless doctor appointements, procedures, and 2 surgeries with 1 more to come for the wifey.

I guess if you are a tiny framed person (with zero back issues) that weighs 120lbs then the chair would be fine, but I will never recommend it to anyone else. It is really disappointing for the money I paid for it and the fact it is basically brand new (still smells new!!!). I sat in it last week for ~8 hours, with a break every 15 minutes, including 2 that were longer then 20 minutes, and had so much back pain I could barely walk.

I’m sorry you are dissatisfied, and I’m sorry you are having health problems.

What chair? There are several models listed and discussed in this thread. I weigh 270-285lbs and am 6’3”, 38”-40” waist, 34” in seam, and on the Hensley it looks and feels almost like new after 2 years. Probably well over 2000 hours on it. IIRC I’ve tightened the arms twice so far. If I had not been lazy and out some locktite I’m the bolts I’d probably never have to tighten them again. It does squeak when I lean back, but then that doesn’t bother me to the point of complaint given it’s other attributes (support when I lean back, continued comfort, durability) and frankly at my weight most everything squeaks when I lean back - even the $700 office chairs at work. A typical $100 Home Depot chair is flat as a pancake in two years for me. This Hensley is still like new! The seat springs are still good as new, the back padding hasn’t deflated on me. For my sample of this chair, I’m super impressed.

Last edited:
I’m sorry you are dissatisfied, and I’m sorry you are having health problems.

What chair? There are several models listed and discussed in this thread. I weigh 270-285lbs and am 6’3”, 38”-40” waist, 34” in seam, and on the Hensley it looks and feels almost like new after 2 years. Probably well over 1000 hours on it, likely I’ve tightened the arms twice so far. It does squeak when I lean back, but then that doesn’t bother me to the point of complaint given it’s other attributes and at my weight most everything squeaks when I lean back.

I have the Hensley, same as you.

fyi
After setting in a used Hensley at a customers house, i decided to get one.
Paid a total of $243.75. Office depot wanted $299.
I took a chance and ordered from https://www.progressivepii.com/
will update if it arrives, fingers crossed
I received an order confirmation on Monday w/no other info, I was just about to email them today and ask for a tracking number (Thursday) when UPS delivered it. (chair was dropped shipped from Office Depot). Box arrived intact and with all the parts and it's assembled. happy happy joy joy

Follow the instructions; being sure to leave the 4 mounting bolts that attach the back to the seat LOOSE until you've mounted the armrests ( I then followed the 'valve cover / manifold' crisscross method of tightening). The included T post allen driver worked perfectly in the mongo bolts, which never tried to cross thread. I doubt you could over-tighten them (well anyone can do anything), but they all seemed to get SNUG and then stop turning. No matter what, I'll recheck them for snug in 3-6 months.

Mine does pretty well but since it is a smooth pleather that does mean that it then just floats up into your face. Depending on who you are, you may or may not enjoy that particular aspect. o_O :LOL:

My first bit of bonded leather flaked off the arm-rest this week. It’s a little small piece, hopefully it’s doesn’t cascade to a huge problem, I may just have to rewrap the arm rest with real leather of it fails bad. The seat cushion itself might be a different kind of pleather material because it still feels extremely soft and pliable where I can start to see the armrests are more of the traditional “crunchy” bonded leather as time progresses. I bought my chair in November of 2016. I’m still very happy with it and it’s still the best chair I’ve ever owned.

My first bit of bonded leather flaked off the arm-rest this week. It’s a little small piece, hopefully it’s doesn’t cascade to a huge problem, I may just have to rewrap the arm rest with real leather of it fails bad. The seat cushion itself might be a different kind of pleather material because it still feels extremely soft and pliable where I can start to see the armrests are more of the traditional “crunchy” bonded leather as time progresses. I bought my chair in November of 2016. I’m still very happy with it and it’s still the best chair I’ve ever owned.

yeah my left arm pad has a crack and small piece missing on the inside part of it but not bad yet.. i will say i wish i had gotten the one with adjustable arms instead of the solid ones.. damn near impossible to lean back in this thing, lol.

yeah my left arm pad has a crack and small piece missing on the inside part of it but not bad yet.. i will say i wish i had gotten the one with adjustable arms instead of the solid ones.. damn near impossible to lean back in this thing, lol.
Adjust the tension on the spring that allows you to lean back? IIRC there’s a dial knob underneath.

I have the opposite problem with most office chairs. I’m a big fellow and most chairs lean back too easily.

Adjust the tension on the spring that allows you to lean back? IIRC there’s a dial knob underneath.

I have the opposite problem with most office chairs. I’m a big fellow and most chairs lean back too easily.
i've tried, but i think it's just due to way i sit that it doesn't really work for me unless i have my feet resting on my sub.

I have a Jennings smart layers the problem I have with it the lift is broken now and well ever since I had it the chair's doesn't go up high enough for my desk.,
So I went back to Office max maybe two years ago already and picked up a Verona instead which is slightly smaller but the lift goes up higher so it's perfect for gaming.

I just seen Secret Labs has Omega Titan chairs at like 399.00 the problem I see with the chairs not sure if the seat cushion would be too hard #1 and the arm rests are plastic with no padding.

I also recommend using a Foam Roller to get the kinks out after sitting in these chairs for years at a time not very natural.

I actually got this chair now but only because i original bought it for my wife and she didnt like the neck support ( she is a medical mess but thats another story. I call her wolverine because of all the metal she has to support broken bones)

im liking it alot for myself thoug even thoug iwas not a big fan og big chairs ( take up to much space)
the only thing icna sey is that after acouple of years the foam seems abit flat in one side and on the arm support.

But take into account i think most american furnity seems to get this issue fast. its like the foam are just cheap crap here in the states. and that counts for even my 5000 dollars bed and 4000 dollars couch.
So it might just be my bias.

and also this is not a big deal its still soft and supportive. and for 144bucks i would probably repalce it again when this one wear out on me. ( I estimat another 5-7 years in it)

Last edited:
Just picked up the Serta iComfort I5000 and put it together LOL damn Office Max personal and myself were trying to Jam it in the front seat of my Civic the box was huge too big for the trunk. seat feels more firm then a Jennings the Lumbar support reclines when you lay back. I tried the gaming chair they had there wasn't a fan of it because the seat was pretty firm but I like the upright back of it. The Serta was on sale for 48 hours Door Buster for 330.00. The big and Tall version looked too big for my taste it's really wide and I'm not even sure I could get it in my room because it's extra wide.
This thing is high enough without the lift so if you have a high desk it's really good. It's pretty easy to put together the cables on the bottom look confusing but once you figure it out takes about 5 minutes. The arm rests are slick enough where they shouldn't cause me any strain as far as mouse use.

https://www.officedepot.com/a/products/559623/Serta-iComfort-i5000-Series-High-Back/

Asking only those of you who bought this Serta Hensley chair with the Serta bed springs in the seat.
How are you guys still liking your chair? Has your seat cushion gone flat? (Mine has not - I bought mine in 2016 BF sale and I weigh average 275-285. I sit on it ~ 3-4 full days worth per week).

Asking for another thread.

The bonded leather on my arm wrest has started to crack lately. Thats the only fault I have with mine so far. I still love it and would buy the same chair again when it fails.

DoubleTap

How are you guys still liking your Serta Hensley? Has your seat cushion gone flat? (Mine has not). Asking for another thread. The bonded leather on my arm wrest has started to crack lately. Thats the only fault I have with mine. I still love it!

DoubleTap

Same here. Seat cushion is fine. Arm rest started to crack.

Back