Best chair I ever sat in - $144. Serta Hensley

Well, maybe this will be to your liking:

https://www.officedepot.com/a/products/944591/Serta-Smart-Layers-Jennings-Super-Task/

$169.99, and there's a 20% off code for one QUALIFYING item in your cart if you sign up with them, I think. . .let me look into it a sec. . .OK, I think if you type, "office depot alerts" into Google and click on the first link, you can sign up with them, and they'll send you out the 20% off coupon right away (check your spam folder if it doesn't show up quickly). That's what I did a few days back and I paid under $150 delivered.

The 'Jennings' chair qualifies. Not sure what other chair qualifies, but you can try the coupon code until you find something that works.

It has adjustable armrests (for height). Like most chairs under several hundred dollars, it uses 'bonded leather'. I REALLY didn't want to get bonded leather, but when I tried to eliminate it, I found it cut out a huge selection of chairs in my price range. I caved.
Just got the hensley to work doing that. $164 with tax, pickup.

edit: they cancelled it immediately after I ordered. Had to use a different email address to get the extra coupon to work. Ended up being $170 something delivered.

Last edited:

Great. In all my years here, that's literally the first time I've helped someone save a little money on something. Weird :D

Kind of curious, though, to see if I'm missing something: why is everyone getting the Hensley over the Jennings? The Jennings has adjustable armrests (though they 'wiggle' a lot, which bothers some folks).

Kind of curious, though, to see if I'm missing something: why is everyone getting the Hensley over the Jennings? The Jennings has adjustable armrests (though they 'wiggle' a lot, which bothers some folks).

It's probably subjective - but sitting in both at the local OfficeMax - my preference was for the Hensley. It seemed like a bigger, more solid chair in the Serta lineup.

It's probably subjective - but sitting in both at the local OfficeMax - my preference was for the Hensley. It seemed like a bigger, more solid chair in the Serta lineup.
Thanks. I didn't get to try any of them out. I went with the Jennings because of the adjustable armrests, but in truth, it seems a little short, from front to back. I thought maybe it's because of the 'waterfall' edge, as I've never had one of them before, but in reading the measurements, I think the seat IS a little shorter from front to back.

i hate you btw ;), your post ended up making me buy the chair since i originally thought the deal docjon posted was only for that specific chair and not the hensley, lol.. now i have to wait til next week to buy forza.

Great. In all my years here, that's literally the first time I've helped someone save a little money on something. Weird :D

The adjustable armrests are why I didn't go with it.. have never liked then on any chair.

ok chair's been put together, this things like sitting on a friggin pillow and the upright back's perfect.. when everyone was saying it was a straight back it had me worried but i love this thing. definitely glad i went with this over the adjustable arms version for the 10-15 dollars more it cost me. time to relax and play some mechwarrior online now.

side note, found it hilarious with the check out clerk/women having to try and impress me by taking the box out and putting it in my truck even though i lift twice the weight of these boxes for 12 hours a day 6 days a week, lol. i played along with it though.

Last edited:
Got the same deal yesterday. Went to pick it up and there were 30 of these behind the counter waiting to be picked up. The cashier had no idea wtf was going on.

i hate you btw ;), your post ended up making me buy the chair since i originally thought the deal docjon posted was only for that specific chair and not the hensley, lol.. now i have to wait til next week to buy forza.

The adjustable armrests are why I didn't go with it.. have never liked then on any chair.

ok chair's been put together, this things like sitting on a friggin pillow and the upright back's perfect.. when everyone was saying it was a straight back it had me worried but i love this thing. definitely glad i went with this over the adjustable arms version for the 10-15 dollars more it cost me. time to relax and play some mechwarrior online now.

side note, found it hilarious with the check out clerk/women having to try and impress me by taking the box out and putting it in my truck even though i lift twice the weight of these boxes for 12 hours a day 6 days a week, lol. i played along with it though.
An office depot driver delivered mine this morning. He stood there to make sure I could carry it into the house, smiling at me the whole time. Kind of creeped me out. Oh well. My ass in is heaven now!

An office depot driver delivered mine this morning. He stood there to make sure I could carry it into the house, smiling at me the whole time. Kind of creeped me out. Oh well. My ass in is heaven now!

lol, i'd be creeped out as well.

Just ordered the Jennings ( I like adjustable / totally removable armrests) in black/slate for $139.88 after the discounts (20% spam signup and 5% pickup in store). :D

Will do.... I was torn on this too because these are specified as "big and tall" and I'm not particularly big (as I am passing my mid 40's my gut does seem to be getting bigger though lol) or tall. I'm right at 6 foot even and 180lbs so I'm hoping that leaning back a little is not going to be an issue. I have a big executive L desk in my office (I own the joint) with a pencil drawer which is an extra depth model desk (its a full 36" depth) and I go back quite a way under the desk so armrests generally hit the drawer. On my current chair (its a nice high back executive style as well but some generic brand one) I removed them but since they bolted to both the bottom and back the chair tends to lean a little since it was not made to be used without them (I guess they provided some of the support for the back). Hoping this new chair will take care of that. I'll pass my current one down to one of my employees.

Leaving the shop in about a half an hour and will pick it up this evening. I'll set it up tomorrow morning when I get in up here and will post a pic and my thoughts on it. I do already know the armrests flop about some from the reviews but I'm betting one could add something to the inner tube part to rectify that. Not yet sure I'f I'll leave them on or not yet so that might be a non-issue for me.

I should try one of these out. My chair seen better days and the cheap staple/office depot chairs seem to only last me 3 years before they snap in half and I fall over lol. Was funny when the billing lady in the office at my job chair broke and had to get 3 of us to get her up (She weights about 500lbs).

Will do.... I was torn on this too because these are specified as "big and tall" and I'm not particularly big (as I am passing my mid 40's my gut does seem to be getting bigger though lol) or tall. I'm right at 6 foot even and 180lbs so I'm hoping that leaning back a little is not going to be an issue. I have a big executive L desk in my office (I own the joint) with a pencil drawer which is an extra depth model desk (its a full 36" depth) and I go back quite a way under the desk so armrests generally hit the drawer. On my current chair (its a nice high back executive style as well but some generic brand one) I removed them but since they bolted to both the bottom and back the chair tends to lean a little since it was not made to be used without them (I guess they provided some of the support for the back). Hoping this new chair will take care of that. I'll pass my current one down to one of my employees.

Leaving the shop in about a half an hour and will pick it up this evening. I'll set it up tomorrow morning when I get in up here and will post a pic and my thoughts on it. I do already know the armrests flop about some from the reviews but I'm betting one could add something to the inner tube part to rectify that. Not yet sure I'f I'll leave them on or not yet so that might be a non-issue for me.

Yeah I'm with you on that. I'm not big per say @ 6'1", but about an even 200lbs. I try not to cheat on my diet so I control my junk-food intake as that's my curse, lol. I'm pretty fit still with a 36" waist and tho I like having my brews, I have a small belly for my age (56). I'm also using a high back exec's leather chair I bought from a used office furniture warehouse for 10 bux! An easy $500 chair I lucked out cause it has some paint scratches on one of the arm rests, but still nice. I'm using an extra mem foam cushin from wheelchairs to give me some comfort during my game sessions, but I would say after an hour and a 1/2 I start feeling it in the back of my legs and my lower back. No fun at all. Looking forward to your thoughts of that new chair!

it's definitely for some one thats BIG and TALL.. i'm 6'2 230'ish but broad shouldered and even for me the chair's huge. i'd definitely say this chair's designed around 6'5 300+ but the things comfy as hell.. passed out in my chair last night watching a movie which is the first time that's happened since my 48+ hour game binging high school days.

Ok. So my worries about it being for big and tall based on my personal size were unfounded. It IS a large executive size chair. That being said, compared to the chair I was using they are essentially the exact same size. Sitting here in it at my desk now I can say that this one is higher though. However that is only because the seat bottom is a little bit thicker and much firmer than my old chair. So even though it is realistically the same size and height I’m still sitting about 2 inches higher which is fine (some of that might also be due to the age of the other chair and that its been compressed over a couple of years). With the height down as low as it will go the seat bottom is around 20.5” high at the front middle and about 23.5” with it all the way up. Of course your weight will vary how much you compress the bottom when you are sitting in it as well.

Also of note. On comparing this to my prior chair I was incorrect in my statement that the one I was using was generic. Its no more generic than this one….. The one I was using is a Realspace chair. Specifically this one - https://www.officedepot.com/a/products/862432/Realspace-Francino-High-Back-Chair-Brown/

On looking close at the construction and labelling on the bottom of each I noticed they were very very similar. On even closer inspection of the labels I found that they are made by the exact same factory in China…. So there you go. Looking close at some of the current models of the Realspace chairs they appear to be the near identical chair with slightly different styling. Cannot tell for sure but it looks like the adjuster handle on one of the Realspace chairs even has the Serta logo on it. Lol

So yes. I’m happy. It is damn comfy too. The tilt tension is also adjustable by the way so no worries there. The box it comes in it pretty large but assembly is simple and takes all of 10 minutes. I do like on this model that I can just leave the arm rests off. On the chair I had that left 4 mounting posts sticking out on each side which was not terribly attractive. On looking closer at the old chair I can also say that the backs are attached in the exact same way with 4 bolts so removing the arm rests on the old one did not really affect things in any way other than the mounting studs for them sticking out are somewhat unattractive. The lean I had mentioned in my earlier post on the old chair I have now determined that in actuality I think the factory left a layer of foam out in the left bottom bolster as that side is much thinner and lower than the right side and its not from being compressed or anything. I do think the old chair I had was also a fine chair and was also very comfortable as well. Just apparently had a quality control issue with some of the foam missing (never really did bother me in the couple of years I used it). Based on my findings, I’d also not hesitate for a good deal on a Realspace branded chair either. They are made in the exact same factory and the hardware is literally identical. I'd venture to guess that the internal frames are also identical and they just have different materials, designs and finishes. The "ComfortCoils" seat bottom coils springs might very well be exclusive to the Serta branded models though and potentially some of the types of padding maybe.

Few pics. The brown chair is the one I was using for comparison. I also just noticed on the website that overnight the Serta Jennings went from being on sale at $161.49 to $229.99…. So apparently I got back in at just the right time. Based on when this thread first started though I’d venture to guess that with some patience they will go on deep discount again at some point in the near future.

C1.jpg
C2.jpg
C3.jpg

I'm looking to get back into a normal chair, I bought a Temper-Pedic mesh chair because of all the hype. But it's got almost zero support for the back at all. Something like this looks amazing, especially for long hours. I would recommend against the Temper-Pedic Meshes if anyone is considering them.

Thx MixManSC for the pics and the quick/short to the point review of the new chair. Pretty cool that you can leave the armrests unattached and it doesn't hurt the structure of the backrest. Looks to be a well made chair that will last several years. Enjoy it!

I had one (or very similar model) for about a year or so. Sat it in a lot, 285lb. The leather and lift held up, but the padding got thin pretty quick.

This thread got me in the mood for a new chair. I have had a mesh back chair for a few months and I hate it. My cousin is an assistant manager at officedepot and pointed this chair out to me:
https://www.officedepot.com/a/products/986369/Serta-Smart-Layers-AIR-Arlington-Executive/

I went up to office depot with him and sat in it. It was half off at $149.99. I am 6' 200lbs and he is 6' 170 lbs. The lumbar on that chair is reinforced with steel rod that dug into my back but not his.

So I decided to hell with it... I will spend some money on a good chair and sat on every one in the store... ended up falling in love with this one:
https://www.officedepot.com/a/products/248897/Realspace-Axton-Big-Tall-Bonded-Leather/

It was on sale for $289. Regularly $380. Then I used his employee discount... Got out the door for $250 after tax. The head rest is adjustable and fluffy as hell.
Put a pillow on my sub woofer, propped my feet up and kicked back in that chair and had a very comfortable few matches of pubg.

Last edited:
The issue I have with bonded leather is the top leather layer starts to wear out pretty quick. I've had so many chairs/couches with bonded leather and in less than a year start to wear out and make a peeled mess all over the place. I've got a bonded leather recliner couch that the seating part is already cracking/wearing and it's not even 2 years old.

So I decided to hell with it... I will spend some money on a good chair and sat on every one in the store... ended up falling in love with this one:
https://www.officedepot.com/a/products/248897/Realspace-Axton-Big-Tall-Bonded-Leather/

It was on sale for $289. Regularly $380. Then I used his employee discount... Got out the door for $250 after tax. The head rest is adjustable and fluffy as hell.
Put a pillow on my sub woofer, propped my feet up and kicked back in that chair and had a very comfortable few matches of pubg.

Funny you mention this. I picked up this exact chair a little bit ago. This thread made me go out looking as my current chair was falling apart. I picked this chair for the adjustable headrest and high back. I like to rest my head when leaning back and even a l lot of high back chairs don't allow this. Looks like I snagged a slightly better deal then you did. It was on sale, +$40 off $200, +5% off online order. I went to the store, sat in it, and ordered it on my phone for store pickup, walked out the door 10mins or so later with it.

Its also worth noting this chair has a 5yr limited Warranty and 500lbs limit. Im 6FT 230, but feel this should last a while. The cushion is something else. Its really comfortable and feels like sitting on the pillow, I sit in an office all day, had many chairs from mesh to standard office, and have never been in a chair with such a nice cushion. Feels like quality. This chair is also built like a tank. It weights around 70lbs assembled.

Attachments

• newchair.jpg
    newchair.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 27
Just got an email for Office Depot/OfficeMax for 30% off $30 or more and it says good on furniture.

For the fun of it, I clicked buy on a chair and tried to apply the coupon code in the cart but it wouldn't
work. Might be too soon for the code. It popped up a message to chat with an online support rep.

Check your email or sign up for their offers if you are buying a chair.

Just got an email for Office Depot/OfficeMax for 30% off $30 or more and it says good on furniture.

For the fun of it, I clicked buy on a chair and tried to apply the coupon code in the cart but it wouldn't
work. Might be too soon for the code. It popped up a message to chat with an online support rep.

Check your email or sign up for their offers if you are buying a chair.

in small print in the email i believe it says for select items or something like that, thought the same thing but would work on some chairs but not all of them.

I hate when retailers pull those stunts!

Huge "SALE" fanfare and then the " *select items " in small print someplace.

Well.... probably still a good idea to sign up for the emails so you get the offers that do apply.

It may also help to do an online chat with a rep to see if you can get the discount on what you want.
You can always bail out and cancel if they say no.

Yeah - I had the same. I get coupons in email since we buy a good bit from there but the two 30% off ones I have had the stipulation that its only valid on a item at regular full price. Would not work on the chair since it was on sale. So I signed up for the spam emails on another account and got the 20% coupon literally in about 2 minutes which does work. Then just unsubscribe to the emails...

Yeah - I had the same. I get coupons in email since we buy a good bit from there but the two 30% off ones I have had the stipulation that its only valid on a item at regular full price. Would not work on the chair since it was on sale. So I signed up for the spam emails on another account and got the 20% coupon literally in about 2 minutes which does work. Then just unsubscribe to the emails...

i didn't even have to subscribe for the 20% off, if you leave the page open for about 3-5 minutes a random popup will say "you have 40 minutes to get 20% off" blah blah blah and then it starts counting down. there's actually no time limit on the code though since the code i used was the original one i got when i first tried to buy the chair weeks ago but missed the sale by minutes.

Fingers crossed that something close to the original deal pop's up during Black Friday.
I sat in a Serta Hensley at a customers house and my butt luved it. No butt love jokes please.;)

Fingers crossed that something close to the original deal pop's up during Black Friday.
I sat in a Serta Hensley at a customers house and my butt luved it. No butt love jokes please.;)

Same here. I went to a local Office Depot to test chairs, and found a few that seemed comfortable. I then sat in a Hensley, and it was amazing. Made the former chairs, and anything I sat in afterwards, feel terrible by comparison. I then had to go home and sit in a chair that I always thought was comfortable, only to be reminded of how much it wasn't.

Same here. I went to a local Office Depot to test chairs, and found a few that seemed comfortable. I then sat in a Hensley, and it was amazing. Made the former chairs, and anything I sat in afterwards, feel terrible by comparison. I then had to go home and sit in a chair that I always thought was comfortable, only to be reminded of how much it wasn't.
Exactly my experience!

I had a similar looking chair years ago. Expect the fake leather to start cracking/peeling after a years of use. I've since bought a Herman Miller chair so I don't have to buy yearly cheap chairs anymore.

I had a similar looking chair years ago. Expect the fake leather to start cracking/peeling after a years of use. I've since bought a Herman Miller chair so I don't have to buy yearly cheap chairs anymore.
Mine's now one year old in about 1 week. I have absolutely 0 cracking or peeling. Not sure how long it'll last - but it'll last longer than a year. I sit in it pretty much daily for hours - and I'm 280 lbs.

I hate when retailers pull those stunts!

Huge "SALE" fanfare and then the " *select items " in small print someplace.

Well.... probably still a good idea to sign up for the emails so you get the offers that do apply.

It may also help to do an online chat with a rep to see if you can get the discount on what you want.
You can always bail out and cancel if they say no.

Sometimes you can still get it through. Just depends on if their computer system rejects the coupon. Most cashiers don't check or care about the fine print. I've bought stuff with coupons that say "not valid for wusthoff or henckels knives" but I walk out the door with one anyhow.

Other than that, I really hate the *select items. They put 48point font 10% off erryting in store!!!, then in 4 point font "only good for dog food".

Looks like we are onlyh getting a deal for $239.99 on this cahir for black friday. What a letdown, I missed the sale last month and really want this chair, but not for $240.

Looks like we are onlyh getting a deal for $239.99 on this cahir for black friday. What a letdown, I missed the sale last month and really want this chair, but not for $240.
It’s worth $240 without a doubt.

I paid $250 for mine last Black Friday and am still completely happy with it and would buy it again.

Can you de mount the arm rest on this chair or are they needed to support the back of the chair ?

If you do on the ones where the arm rests are side attached the to the backrest and bottom you will have a big metal studs with unfinished material around the stud sticking out of where they would mount..... On the model I got, shown way up on this page the arm rests are bottom mount only. I'd be confident it would not affect the chair really with removing them on either one though. The backrest support underneath is the exact same on the models with bottom mount only arm rests as it it on the models where the arm rests attached to the sides.

This is what it will look like if you leave them off a model with side mount arm rests...

The model I bought (the Jennings) that is not an issue since they are only attached from under the seat. I keep them off and that is part of the reason I went with the Jennings.

IMG_1643.jpg

Last edited:
You could put a bolt in the hole with a fender washer painted black.
That would be a better more finished look than leaving the vacant hole.

Back