Best case for $100?

therapy

Gawd
I'm trying to help a friend build a system for the first time, and while I'm pretty experienced with higher end hardware, his budget doesn't really allow for that. His budget for the case is about $100 or so, and he's going to be using it mostly for gaming as well as regular web usage and some light photoshop work.

He is also going to be keeping it in his bedroom so he'd like something that's relatively quiet, but he also wants high airflow. An integrated fan controller or a case with larger fans would be preferred. Here's what he likes so far:

Cooler Master CM690-II Advanced
Cooler Master HAF 922
Antec 900 / 902
Antec DF-30 / DF-35
One of the Lian-Li Lancool cases (can't remember which)

The problem is deciding and since I haven't touched any of these personally, and neither has he, we're looking for advice. Also, other suggestions welcome.

Requirements:
-Black interior
-Good cooling
-Relatively quiet
-around US $100

Your best choices are the Lancool PC-K62 or the CM-690II Advanced. Personally, I would go with the PC-K62.

Just an FYI incase your not aware...Antec 902 is 65 after MIR with free shipping on Newegg as of this post.

The Lian Li - Lancool PC-K62 is the best deal and is the most stylish looking in my opinion

Lian-Li PC-A05N. No black interior, though.

The fan layout is very efficient and fairly quiet.

you can also check out fractal design R3. They sell it only at NCIX, but its listed at $105 but they charge around $50 for shipping.

Lian-Li PC-A05N. No black interior, though.

The fan layout is very efficient and fairly quiet.

I'd be careful recommending that case. Sure it's an affordable Lian Li, but requires further investment to fully optimize.

Again, I think there needs to be a sticky in this sub-forum with recommendations for price brackets. These kinds of threads pop up fairly often and this thread was answered in the first response...there are hardly any other cases worth mentioning that fit your criteria in your price range.

lancool k62. a steel version of the very very nice lian li pc p50 wnb.

[...]This thread was answered in the first response...there are hardly any other cases worth mentioning that fit your criteria in your price range.
+1. If you're interested in uATX, the Mini P180 is another option, but building in the CM692 was a dream, and it looks great in person. The Lancool case was easily second choice on a similar budget.

i just got a cooler master storm scout, awesome little case (kinda tight inside)

and $87 at microcenter!

CM690II The advanced model adds features I would never use so just got the normal version. Saves $20, so not that much if you want the few extra features.

I still love my PC-7B. I admit it's not some extreme airflow monster, but it cools the 930 and 4870 just fine and I even replaced the fans with Scythe 21D's. Super quiet compared to most of my friend's systems. Just my $0.02.

i got the CM 690 II Basic and I wish i would have paid the extra $20 for the advanced, if only for the plastic cover for the little slot on top. Kinda annoys me but whatever. For the money, you really can't beat the CM 690 II. It's SOLID.

I bought 2 CM690 II advanced for "cafe" machines and they worked out great...removable hard drive cage made installation of a radiator a snap...here is one of them

DSCF5557.jpg

Last edited:
Back