Best Card for Me

XSNiper

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi guys, soon I will be upgrading my video card. But I need some suggestions first. I really like to go for the best alot buy now I need to really strive for the best card that suits me and is'nt overkill. The following is the system I will be putting it in.

Athlon64 3700+ SD (@2.4)
DFI nF4 Ultra-D
OCZ Gold VX (512x2)
Fortron BlueStorm 500W
SB Audigy 2 ZS

The games I want to play are the new ones including, Civilization IV, Age of Empires III, Quake 4, F.E.A.R, etc, etc. I have a 17" CRT monitor so I'll probably stick to rezes like 1024 and 1280. I would like to add some cool effects like AA and AF as well. The problem, I don't know what card can do all this and be cheap enough to get for christmas. Any Suggestions?

I don't know what "cheap enough for christmas is" heh. Can you just give a $ amount?

$300 is dead center on the limit + or - $30 if I'm naughty or nice..I don't want to get only a video card for christmas though..

EDIT: The card I'm looking at now is the X800GTO2 which seems to be overclocking like a mofo, However I don't know if that will run these new games well.

The deal with the GTO2 is that it has a 100% rate of being able to be flashed to an x850xt if I'm correct...but I'm pretty sure they're real hard to find because they're selling so fast. Anyway, an x850xt aka gto2 would play those games fine.

I've been looking at the 7800GT for a long time now, but I'm not sure I want to get it, it seems like overkill imo.

No, a 7800GT would not be overkill...you can never be prepared enough in the graphics card dept. It will last you quite a bit longer.

XSNiper said:
I've been looking at the 7800GT for a long time now, but I'm not sure I want to get it, it seems like overkill imo.

What about future gaming? Its the newest card on the market in that price range. The X800 series is a good card, but my X800XL is showing its limits on the newest games.

in the res that u want to game at, the 78GT is really the sweet spot, specially in new games like FEAR that RAPES video cards.

Hi,
I'm new, and I have somewhat of a predicament. Have a sony 18" LCD, and I am thinking about the Dell 24" Widescreen. Now, I also am thinking about upgrading from the 6800 GT to either another 6800 GT, or a 7800GTX. Also, anyone familiar with widescreen monitors, I mainy game, and surf. Playin Farcry now, FEAR, etc.
Thanks

7800gt, for some reason ati's card thats always between mid-high end is always lacking. ATI is only good all way high end card, get the 7800gt

Given that you are on a ~$30 17" monitor, a 7800GT is overkill.

Go $180 c3d GTO + $125 ebay 21" trinitron = $305 The winnah!!

A 21" trintron + c3d GTO will give you a WAY better gaming experience than a 7800GT on a POS 17" monitor IMHO.

but hes looking for a future invesstment too...the x800gto will not deliver the same performance as the 7800gt in newer games....such as fear, and thats already out.

the 7800GT is not overkill if youre playing FEAR and Q4.

FEAR brings my 6800U to its knees at 1280x1024 with 2xAA.

honestly, only getting one thing for christmas sucks. id rather get a bunch of smaller things, it would bring more pleasure to me. if anything, if your parents are buying this for you, id pitch in half (so around 150-200) so they can afford to get you something else that is neat. getting only a graphics card would suck. in fact, id rather havea number of little things that total ~$100 than a $300 graphics card...

JimmyHa said:
Given that you are on a ~$30 17" monitor, a 7800GT is overkill.

Go $180 c3d GTO + $125 ebay 21" trinitron = $305 The winnah!!

A 21" trintron + c3d GTO will give you a WAY better gaming experience than a 7800GT on a POS 17" monitor IMHO.

Actually the monitor I have is an extremely good 17" monitor and I won't be replacing it.

If you want $300 card powering your 17" monitor, go for it. I see guys in $2000 civics w/ $3000 rims too, whatever floats your boat. :) You will definately get some sweet AF & AA in games.

I'd much rather be able to play it than to have to turn the rez up to see it..(and therefor not be able to play it)

Anyway..
I guess I'll just keep an eye out on the prices of the 7800GT. Anybody recommend any certain brand?

JimmyHa said:
If you want $300 card powering your 17" monitor, go for it. I see guys in $2000 civics w/ $3000 rims too, whatever floats your boat. :) You will definately get some sweet AF & AA in games.
i game on a 17" moniter. a fucking nice one at that. guess what? a 6800GT clocked to U isnt enough.

Phranq said:
No, a 7800GT would not be overkill...you can never be prepared enough in the graphics card dept. It will last you quite a bit longer.
Very well said...totally agree with you! :cool:

Gaming on a fucking nice 17"?
Is that like drag racing in a fucking nice Chevy Chevette? :D

if i was limited to 12x10 and i wanted to play todays games and future at 12x10 i wouldnt get anything but a 7800GT. a GT is not overkill for 12x10, its a perfect match if you play todays games and dont want to upgrade in 6 months to play future games.

it depends how much AA you want at 12x10, if none you will be fine with a gto2 for awhile, dont expect to beable to turn everything on in future games and games like fear tho, not that its even worth it turning soft shadows on with a GT.

doesnt matter if you get the GT or GTO2, you will still be gpu limited in future games at 12x10, the GT will just be faster and allow for more AA, letting you stay at 12x10 longer.

JimmyHa said:
Gaming on a fucking nice 17"?
Is that like drag racing in a fucking nice Chevy Chevette? :D
a 17" 8ms LCD is nothing to scoff at.

not everyone has a grand to lay down on a 24inch widescreen LCD (or even CRT) you know
rolleyes.gif

anything less than a 7800gt is not enough to push 1280x1024 with AA and AF in new games. i really dont know wtf youre getting at with your monitor size argument.

XSNiper said:
I'd much rather be able to play it than to have to turn the rez up to see it..(and therefor not be able to play it)

Anyway..
I guess I'll just keep an eye out on the prices of the 7800GT. Anybody recommend any certain brand?

EVGA or BFG for their lifetime warranty

Back