best cable modem for comcast?

[A]varice

Limp Gawd
hey guys, just got comcast, and i dont wanna lease a modem. can u guys recc me a reliable and fast modem? thx

I have this Motorola - never had a single problem with it.

Motorola SB5100 DOCSIS2.0 Cable Modem -- $68.99 with free shipping.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16825122104

There's a newer version out now that supports higher speed up and downstream, however there are currently no providers out there that could take advantage of the claimed 38mbps speeds it offers. Same DOCSIS compliance level, so I would save the extra few bucks and grab the reliable SB5100 above.

Motorola SB5120 DOCSIS2.0 Cable Model - $80.00 with $3.99 shipping.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16825122106

stay away from the little white RCA's (not sure exact model number(s))

every single one I've ever dealt with has been utter trash

JiM2100 said:
stay away from the little white RCA's (not sure exact model number(s))

every single one I've ever dealt with has been utter trash

thanks for telling me. comcast was trying to sell me a RCA

has anyone had experience with the DLINK DCM-202? im deciding between this and the SB5100 right now. thanks for any input!

After digging through the tons of "bizrate" and related links Google turned up, I found this brief but interesting page:

http://www.vonage-forum.com/ftopic3637.html

It was rather hard to find anything "bad" about the D-Link modem in general though I did find mentions of a firmware upgades to work correctly with Comcast, problems with Vonage (both of which may be old news) and mentions of it getting extremely hot due to bad ventilation.

Other than that, to quote the guy from newegg's reviews, it seems the modem is "at least as good as Motorola and is smaller."

It is DOCSIS 2.0 compatible which is your biggest concern - it /should/ work fine, but I can speak from experience in saying the Motorola has been voted so highly for a reason and the Motorola is on Comcast's "list."

[A]varice said:
has anyone had experience with the DLINK DCM-202? im deciding between this and the SB5100 right now. thanks for any input!

I just got that modem last Friday, but I'm on Charter not Comcast. So far its been working great.

Zick said:
I just got that modem last Friday, but I'm on Charter not Comcast. So far its been working great.

I was looking at that one too. I am getting Charter Cable but didn't feel like paying $2.99 a month to "lease" a modem. The only thing that weirds me out is that it looks like someone nailed the thing with a shotgun....

[A]varice said:
thanks for telling me. comcast was trying to sell me a RCA

The little white RCA modems were the older ones (4-5 years old) and were complete crap. The newer RCA's are supposed to be fine. The problem with the older RCA's was mainly where the power cable plugged into the back of the modem. It would always break and lose connections which of course turns off the modem. I used to have one and the freakin modem would lose power about 10-15 times a day. I had to prop the power cable up with a book and tape it in place to keep it from moving, otherwise it would disconnect again. Of course when someone sat down in the computer chair and wobbled the desk a bit it would disconnect again.

I now have a Dlink DCM-202 and it works great. It stays on 24/7 and aside from some signal issues (older cable in the house) which wasn't the modem's fault, it's worked flawlessly! I think we got it for like $69.99 - $30MIR too... Good deal.

MH Knights said:
I was looking at that one too. I am getting Charter Cable but didn't feel like paying $2.99 a month to "lease" a modem. The only thing that weirds me out is that it looks like someone nailed the thing with a shotgun....
Yeah so far its been working out great. The holes in the side does look weird but I'm sure it helps with the ventilation cause it does get a little warn but not hot by any means.

Back