Best Buy Website Goes Down On Black Friday

HardOCP News

[H] News
Best Buy's website bit the dust on the busiest shopping day of the year. The site was inaccessible for hours until finally coming back online after the rush subsided. That had to suck.

It's a plot to get people to visit their floundering brick & mortar business!

Honestly, I saw almost nobody shopping today in my area, and heck on all my deal sites I haven't had a single alert even popup this year which is very odd. Seems to me that the BF fad is dying out. *shrugs*

Because both the deals and the products this year were not that worth the hassle. I just checked and Best buy's site is still unavailable.

I got the Logitech mouse and $50 steam gift card ordered off the website after it came back on line
. Now I need to find someone to go pick it up for me since I am celebrating Thanksgiving a day late with some Rogue Dead Guy ale.

It seemed like Best Buy didn't care this year. Nothing was even marked at the stores I went to.

"Black Friday" is a joke. There were better sales last week. LG swaps their IPS panels out of their TVs in time for BF. Lots of manufactures save their junk for BF

Didn't see much in the way of deals on-line, really nothing much better than regular sale prices over the past few months.

As for B&M store, I actually stopped at a target on the way home from thanksgiving dinner, about an hour after they opened their doors. Was in & out in less than 15 minutes with the item I wanted. Would have been even faster, except I stopped to look for some other stuff. No lines and crowd wasn't any worse than a normal weekend. Same on Friday morning, went out around 10:00 am, went to 4 different stores, bought stuff, and was home by noon. Light crowds, and the wait at the checkout stand at most the stores was shorter than usual.

Based on what I saw, crowds where light this year.

Seems crowds were less this year because of all the spread out deals off and online over the last 2 weeks.. Also so few true doorbusters prices.

Yup; pretty much nothing was discounted. I saw tons of products at the same price they were advertised as a few weeks ago "on sale".

I got several "One day only" sale adds from Walmart for about 2 weeks leading up to Black Friday where the first 4-5 items listed were incredible savings, then everything past those were either normal price and sometimes even increased price.
Most people see "Sale" and just buy, my mother was like that.

"Black Friday" is a joke. There were better sales last week. LG swaps their IPS panels out of their TVs in time for BF. Lots of manufactures save their junk for BF

What? I have never heard this, and many of their TV's are CLEARLY MARKETED as having IPS Panels which would be outright false advertisement and fraud in many states. I can't see they risking a potential mulch-billion dollar fine from the FTC not to mention the 100000's of class action suits that the Lawyer Leaches would drag out in force.

Yup; pretty much nothing was discounted. I saw tons of products at the same price they were advertised as a few weeks ago "on sale".

disclosure: best buy employee
sorry, but there were quite a few deals to be had. gps's were $70 off, new release movies were $10. older movies were $3. games were on sale, xbox one bundle for $330, 50" Panasonic for $199.99, 50" 4k samsung for $850, dyson vacuums $180 off, and thats just off the top of my head.

in terms of number of people, our line was 3 blocks long Thursday evening and 2 blocks long friday morning. we were packed all day (including at 1am) both days.

I dont understand why so many people are against brick and mortar stores. yes i can click a button on my phone and have something shipped from amazon. but it will take two days to get it. why not bring your phone to a store show the price and get the item that day?

also wanted to add that we had 50%off open item tv's and computers. Saw an ASUS ROG G751 go for less than $600. (had only been opened then brought back, perfectly fine except some cut tape)

What? I have never heard this, and many of their TV's are CLEARLY MARKETED as having IPS Panels which would be outright false advertisement and fraud in many states. I can't see they risking a potential mulch-billion dollar fine from the FTC not to mention the 100000's of class action suits that the Lawyer Leaches would drag out in force.

The "panel lottery" is pretty common unfortunately. I just took a 42" LG (42LB5600) back in early November because the ISPs panel was swapped out - something I expected when I saw stacks of them at Walmart selling for lowered price 350. They intro a TV with IPS at $499 and its gets decent reviews. The a few months latter and end of product cycle they pull the IPS and put an MVA inside while dropping the price.

It reminds me of my first computer - a Gateway I bought off HSN. The PC was described as an HSN "special" and the price was pretty good for specs. What I found out latter was that despite the CPU and RAM being decent the mobo they used was old and only had a PCI video card instead slot instead of AGP (which had been out a few years). Of course Dell was most infamous for switching panels and parts.

disclosure: best buy employee
sorry, but there were quite a few deals to be had. gps's were $70 off, new release movies were $10. older movies were $3. games were on sale, xbox one bundle for $330, 50" Panasonic for $199.99, 50" 4k samsung for $850, dyson vacuums $180 off, and thats just off the top of my head.

in terms of number of people, our line was 3 blocks long Thursday evening and 2 blocks long friday morning. we were packed all day (including at 1am) both days.

I dont understand why so many people are against brick and mortar stores. yes i can click a button on my phone and have something shipped from amazon. but it will take two days to get it. why not bring your phone to a store show the price and get the item that day?

The online deals started on Thanksgiving at 6:30 AM EST so it's strange the site fell over the next day. I don't care about waiting a few days, I'd rather save the time, money spent on gas, vehicle wear, and hassle trying to get a price match. I also get additional cashback through various cashback portals that I wouldn't be able to get in store. I can order the item online and be done with it, or I can hope to get to the store and hope the item is still in stock where I wanted to price match it in order for the PM to be valid, and then hope the store still has it in stock. Retailers are dead if they sell commoditized products and don't add any real value.

Back