Best Buy WD 10TB External $160

Bought two but I haven’t seen the email update on it. They were quick to take my cash though.

I think they're all out now. :( By the time I told the wife who has a $100 gc/coupon/something, it was already sold out locally. :(

I saw nationwide inventories drop in 24hrs down to the '1 - last one!' that's never in stock because that's the mistaken inventory count unit. :rolleyes:

I bought one on Friday. They say that they're still working on it.

Seems like a good drive for an off-site backup (encrypt, backup all my stuff, and throw it in my storage cabinet at work)

I think they're all out now. :( By the time I told the wife who has a $100 gc/coupon/something, it was already sold out locally. :(
Buy it online then, you need an account but can use the gc and points online and free shipping :).

Got one because why not. Can never have too many backups.
Fixed it for you. :D

I don't plan on relying on these drives for anything more than a last leg backup if all other backups fail. Hopefully they'll do that job well.

Fixed it for you. :D

I don't plan on relying on these drives for anything more than a last leg backup if all other backups fail. Hopefully they'll do that job well.

Yeah, that is probably my use case as well.

Picked up a couple, thanks for the heads up on that.

Hope to shuck them later this week or over the weekend.

no, that was a daily deal yesterday.

Currently on their site, not just a daily deal.

upload_2019-6-19_16-51-21.png

Currently on their site, not just a daily deal.

View attachment 168769
It’s still a daily deal as part of a 24 hour flash sale.

BestBuy has more of these significant sale prices on popular items to generate buzz and increase recurring visits to their site.

Judging from these frequent threads it looks like their marketing strategy is working.

Another excellent deal during the current flash sale is $50 off iPad Air 3 (latest model) with another $10 back in rewards. I bought one at launch for my wife and she loves it, latest gen A12 is blistering fast.

would these be good for a nas? I already got 2 reds in there now 8tbx2 looking to get 2 more

would these be good for a nas? I already got 2 reds in there now 8tbx2 looking to get 2 more

Yes. I have two of the 8TB drives coming for my unRaid server (to join another four). They should be white label drives. There is some who believe the white label drives are HGST, but most people believe them to be WD Reds. Either way, you're getting a drive well suited for NAS.

Yes. I have two of the 8TB drives coming for my unRaid server (to join another four). They should be white label drives. There is some who believe the white label drives are HGST, but most people believe them to be WD Reds. Either way, you're getting a drive well suited for NAS.
Hate to break it to you but HGST makes all of these big WD drives. WD is a marketing company.

Hate to break it to you but HGST makes all of these big WD drives. WD is a marketing company.

I wasn't aware of that, but it's not really relevant to what I said. The question isn't who manufactured the drives in these enclosures, but rather what drives they are. Drives are sold under both brands, so unless HGST and WD are selling the exact same drives with different labels on them, there is still a relevant distinction between the two.

If you google search WD enclosure deshucking, there is a site/forum that allows you to input the SKU/Serial # to identify what drive is inside. Any of these 7200 RPM or are they all 5400 spinners ?

If you google search WD enclosure deshucking, there is a site/forum that allows you to input the SKU/Serial # to identify what drive is inside. Any of these 7200 RPM or are they all 5400 spinners ?
All are normally 5400rpm

I wasn't aware of that, but it's not really relevant to what I said. The question isn't who manufactured the drives in these enclosures, but rather what drives they are. Drives are sold under both brands, so unless HGST and WD are selling the exact same drives with different labels on them, there is still a relevant distinction between the two.
Most drives are wd white label. They aren't putting reds in there anymore but I believe they are virtually identical. Smaller drives may vary, but the 10tb for example doesn't have wd green or blue options at all, so the drives are all the same internal or external.

For anyone that might actually want to do this--this drive will work with xp when reformatted with WD_Quick_Formatter_Win_1_2_0_10. :whistle:

For anyone that might actually want to do this--this drive will work with xp when reformatted with WD_Quick_Formatter_Win_1_2_0_10. :whistle:

Cool, but note that this makes the drive unreadable if removed from the USB adapter.

Yes, very important point--the drive will work with xp only if it is in the external case.

My point was that you can't read it on *any* OS without USB (well technically you can, but it requires some guru level tricks).

Back