Best Buy told me to wait new xbox coming?

Casej18

Limp Gawd
Hey,
Well I just got back from my local Best Buy and they told me to hold off buying one because sometime next couple months some new xbox with HD-DVD player built in is coming out. Is this guying blowing smoke or should I wait?

while its pretty much assumed that that will happen someday, I havent heard anything about it. I go to college so all I've got is time look up this stuff. Buy it now and slap that kid in the mouth on the way out.

HD-DVD died for honor and it won't succeed. Lol, Even if they make a built hd dvd player it might be useless.

You started with "Someone at Best Buy told me" which means it's bullshit.

No joking, I'm 100% serious, I overheard a salesman at best buy talking to a couple looking at desktop computers and they mentioned they had just moved into town from out of state. He said, and I quote "Oh, so you guys are noobies to the area huh?"

:rolleyes::D

No joking, I'm 100% serious, I overheard a salesman at best buy talking to a couple looking at desktop computers and they mentioned they had just moved into town from out of state. He said, and I quote "Oh, so you guys are noobies to the area huh?"

:rolleyes::D

What he is inferring is that a BB employee telling you to hold off for reason x or y is probably about as likely as having an alien crawl out of your ass (IE don't trust a BB employee).

I would also agree that after recent events, HD DVD is in pretty big trouble, so I wouldn't see MS installing one into the 360 at this time.

Yeah with the Warner switch to Blu Ray, its almost guarenteed and set in stone, that HD DVD is going to lose the war. Just buy a 360 now and be happy with it! If HD DVD is that important to you, just buy the add on, they just dropped the price I saw.

It could happen, last ditch effort to keep the format alive..

Would be kinda cool untill your 360 and your HD-DVD player died at the same time:p

There may be new versions coming (there's bound to be changes) but it wont have a HD-DVD or BR drive built in.

[T5K]thrasher;1032029323 said:
It could happen, last ditch effort to keep the format alive..

No it won't, ever. First off you'd drive up the price of a 360 and with the Wii still kicking ass that wouldn't be a good business model.

Secondly it's not getting the drives into the hands of consumers, it's having the movies you want to watch on them that is the problem and they have no control over that.

I think that guy drank the internet rumor Kool-Aid. Don't wait for it, because it is very, very unlikely.

While I do think the death of HD-DVD is highly exaggerated, I don't think MS will--or should--ever put the drive into the box directly. That would be stupid on several epic levels, really. DVD is an industry standard--neither Bluray nor HD-DVD are (or appear likely to ever be) industry standards. It's true that BD is outselling HD-DVD, but it's equally true that BD isn't selling for shit.

DVD remains the king of the hill, with no end in sight.

Especially since you can buy a new release dvd from wal-mart for 13$ and a BD or HD-DVD is what, 35-40?

DVDs really need to drop to the $10 and under range to make room for HD disks in the $20 range.. Should happen eventually.

[T5K]thrasher;1032030483 said:
DVDs really need to drop to the $10 and under range to make room for HD disks in the $20 range.. Should happen eventually.

Walmart already does that... they have 7.99 DVD's, 9.99 DVD's, 14.99 DVD's... I got Borat for 9.99 ....

I think what this really comes down to is that he was told this by a Best Buy employee. While nowhere near as bad as getting "insider information" from someone at EB or Gamestop, it's still just a retail employee. If they really had insider info, they wouldn't be working in a non-commissioned retail job.
MS doesn't give 2 shits about the HD-DVD format. They want you to DL their movies via Xbox Live. The only reason they even had the HD-DVD drive in the first place was to take away one of the PS3's bullet points. Right now, they're certainly not going to get behind a format that's been on the ropes a little bit.
There will be new 360's, but they're not going to be based around HD-DVD. Expect bigger HD's, Tivo, DirecTV blades, etc. but that HD-DVD drive is going to remain an add-on.

Since hddvd is dead as a movie format, the only reason ms would ever consider this would be to give developers a disk format with more space...but they're already proven with their insistence on not requiring a harddrive that they are in no way willing to fragment their user base.

While I do think the death of HD-DVD is highly exaggerated, I don't think MS will--or should--ever put the drive into the box directly. That would be stupid on several epic levels, really. DVD is an industry standard--neither Bluray nor HD-DVD are (or appear likely to ever be) industry standards. It's true that BD is outselling HD-DVD, but it's equally true that BD isn't selling for shit.

HD Adoption has been far faster than it was for DVDs did when they first came out. Their market penetration is far beyond what DVDs was in its first 2 years on the scene. Its actually easier to upgrade to blu-ray as a standard than it was to upgrade from VHS to DVD as a standard for the everyday consumer. Will it ever become standard? That remains to be seen, but i dont dismiss the possibility as quickly as you.

And lol@dead of hddvd being exaggerated. Check the latest defectors across the globe. Its one after another. Sales last 3 weeks. 87/13 BD, 83/17 BD 82/18 BD. Shelf space being cleaned out everywhere, etc etc.

But not to totally hijack the thread on this. MS was rumored to have been announcing a future model with HDDVD at CES, but when Warner broke the news of going Blu-Ray only they allegedly pulled that announcement. Whether its true or not we will never know.

There are all kinds of rumors pertaining to HD-DVD announcements at CES. Supposedly Gates had to remove 20 minutes from his speech. That could very well have been the HD-DVD 360 announcement.

If MS came out with the HD-DVD built in 360, it would probably cost an arm and a leg.

For some strange reason i see this "death" of HD-DVD as a huge blow to the 360, and might eventually be a cause (long-term, of course) of it "losing" to the Ps3..

I just feel like the amount of people who will upgrade to HD TV's and still use their Ps2's will go for something more practical, like the Ps3, opposed to a 360 without HD movie playback.

Judging from general people i know asking me about these HD formats, and the amount who want Blu-Ray, this (while being my opinion) might turn out to be a very accurate assumption.

Microsoft needs to lower the 360 price point as soon as the "final blow" is dealt to HD-DVD. You just aren't getting your money's worth on the system.

Since hddvd is dead as a movie format, the only reason ms would ever consider this would be to give developers a disk format with more space...but they're already proven with their insistence on not requiring a harddrive that they are in no way willing to fragment their user base.

actually that is kindof an interesting idea, a double sided disk (like some have now)..

DVD side = regular game
HD-DVD one side contains higher textures, higher rez cutscenes etc etc..

If that were true, it would be the most ignorant move ever by Microsoft. HD-DVD will not be around for much longer, and it's just dumb to make that move. I call bogus.

I wouldn't listen to a BB employee. Awhile back I was looking at video cards. The BB employee came up and asked what does the 256 mean. :eek:

OP - There are probably 7 people working at Best Buy at any given time who know what they are talking about, they're hard to find, because they're usually getting yelled at by a manager in a corner somewhere for not using deceitful sales tactics to attach gold plated cables to $25 dvd players, or sell you a $100 monster HDMI cable for your PS3. (The oxygen free copper wrapped in silver foil helps keeps the 1's and 0's inside the shielding!)

so discount just anything you haven't read on Joystiq or Engadget as a rule, when it comes to new hardware info.

Microsoft needs to lower the 360 price point as soon as the "final blow" is dealt to HD-DVD. You just aren't getting your money's worth on the system.

Really? Wild guess: you aren't a 360 owner? I'm pretty sure the "Dollars/Hours Used" ratio on my 360 spans 5 decimal places due to the amount of use I've put into it gaming since 2005.

Meanwhile, Netflix just came in the mail, so I guess I'll fire up the PS3 and watch Blood Diamond on Blu Ray... then turn it off again while I wait for the next one.

Interesting here, those guys at bestbuy want to sell something right away and not put it off. I dont think there will be a HD DVD xbox ever release. Unless Microsoft plans to release super big games on HD DVD.
Thanks

OP - There are probably 7 people working at Best Buy at any given time who know what they are talking about, they're hard to find, because they're usually getting yelled at by a manager in a corner somewhere for not using deceitful sales tactics to attach gold plated cables to $25 dvd players, or sell you a $100 monster HDMI cable for your PS3. (The oxygen free copper wrapped in silver foil helps keeps the 1's and 0's inside the shielding!)

so discount just anything you haven't read on Joystiq or Engadget as a rule, when it comes to new hardware info.

Really? Wild guess: you aren't a 360 owner? I'm pretty sure the "Dollars/Hours Used" ratio on my 360 spans 5 decimal places due to the amount of use I've put into it gaming since 2005.

Meanwhile, Netflix just came in the mail, so I guess I'll fire up the PS3 and watch Blood Diamond on Blu Ray... then turn it off again while I wait for the next one.

For the past 6 months I've had my 360 on about 1/50th as much as my PS3. Ive been purchasing all the cross platform titles on ps3 now as well since they run as good or better it seems, finally. The fact that it streams all my movies w/o having to boot into the 360 MCE and plays BDs and plays games makes it on the majority of the time at my house. I havent had my 360 on since mass effect actually.

EA has stated they forsee the ps3 outselling the 360 by 2008 year end. Granted thats a long ways off and just speculation, i think MS will have to do some strategic thinking once blu-ray is officially the winner. Blu-Ray winning will definitely pump ps3 sales higher.

HD Adoption has been far faster than it was for DVDs did when they first came out. Their market penetration is far beyond what DVDs was in its first 2 years on the scene. Its actually easier to upgrade to blu-ray as a standard than it was to upgrade from VHS to DVD as a standard for the everyday consumer. Will it ever become standard? That remains to be seen, but i dont dismiss the possibility as quickly as you.

And lol@dead of hddvd being exaggerated. Check the latest defectors across the globe. Its one after another. Sales last 3 weeks. 87/13 BD, 83/17 BD 82/18 BD. Shelf space being cleaned out everywhere, etc etc.

But not to totally hijack the thread on this. MS was rumored to have been announcing a future model with HDDVD at CES, but when Warner broke the news of going Blu-Ray only they allegedly pulled that announcement. Whether its true or not we will never know.

The bottom line remains the same, though: the majority of the market isn't moving to either format, they are sticking with DVD. And for good reason: HD, as a movie format, is virtually worthless. In most cases the difference from DVD to Bluray or HDDVD is marginal at best. In some special effects laden movies it's nice, but in the end, a shitty movie where you can see the pimples on the cardboard actor's ass is just as shitty as it was when you couldn't see said zits. HD does NOT make movies better, it just makes them more expensive.

HD makes far more sense for *games* than for movies. Frankly, I fully expect PS3 and 360 to both continue doing well. 360 sales haven't slowed at all, PS3 is still trailing a distant third. I do expect the two to get closer in sales as the generation drags on, and battle it out for second, but neither is going to see first place any time soon.

Anyway, BD and HD-DVD are both *marginal* improvements on the dvd format, and neither warrant the price of entry IMHO. When we see an HD format that can be used without bulky disk media and ideally without the need for spinning any sort of disk, then we'll have a revolution on our hands. Until then all we have is "more of the same with a wax job".

The bottom line remains the same, though: the majority of the market isn't moving to either format, they are sticking with DVD. And for good reason: HD, as a movie format, is virtually worthless. In most cases the difference from DVD to Bluray or HDDVD is marginal at best. In some special effects laden movies it's nice, but in the end, a shitty movie where you can see the pimples on the cardboard actor's ass is just as shitty as it was when you couldn't see said zits. HD does NOT make movies better, it just makes them more expensive.

HD makes far more sense for *games* than for movies. Frankly, I fully expect PS3 and 360 to both continue doing well. 360 sales haven't slowed at all, PS3 is still trailing a distant third. I do expect the two to get closer in sales as the generation drags on, and battle it out for second, but neither is going to see first place any time soon.

Anyway, BD and HD-DVD are both *marginal* improvements on the dvd format, and neither warrant the price of entry IMHO. When we see an HD format that can be used without bulky disk media and ideally without the need for spinning any sort of disk, then we'll have a revolution on our hands. Until then all we have is "more of the same with a wax job".

Marginal? You've got to be kidding me. I can't stand regular DVDs anymore.

If MS came out with the HD-DVD built in 360, it would probably cost an arm and a leg.

For some strange reason i see this "death" of HD-DVD as a huge blow to the 360, and might eventually be a cause (long-term, of course) of it "losing" to the Ps3..

I just feel like the amount of people who will upgrade to HD TV's and still use their Ps2's will go for something more practical, like the Ps3, opposed to a 360 without HD movie playback.

What you said is exactly what I did...I got a new HDTV last month and was able to get $100 off the PS3 so I picked one up. I had owned the 360 for about a year and ended up selling it to cover the cost of the PS3. I did that because I'm more of a casual/sports gamer and all the games I like are on both platforms. With the BD capabilities, it is just more practical to have a PS3 vs. the 360.

Gotta tell you man, you know your "hardware" in the consoles, but you obviously have no idea what your talking about when it comes to Hi Def content. Standard dvds make me uggg to myself when i watch them. even upscaled its no comparison.

Also the war is not only about HD Content. Its about consoles, its about movies, and importantly its about digital media on personal computers. BD is winning on all three fronts. There is far more money at stake than just movie sales.

Your bottom line is wrong as well. As i stated before, the adoption rate to High Def movies FAR outpaces that of DVD adoption at its inception. So while the majority still isnt buying high def, everytime i know someone buying a new tv they are asking about blu-ray players or hddvd players.

i think MS will have to do some strategic thinking once blu-ray is officially the winner. Blu-Ray winning will definitely pump ps3 sales higher.

I believe Microsoft never ruled out a Blu-ray add on, and said if its needed they will produce one. Since right now, Microsoft pledged there support to HD DVD its obviously not going to happen, but if HD DVD fails this year like its looking like, they probably will make one.

HDDVD better fails this year. We dont need two formats. I would still like it if HD DVD was turned into data storage for computers to replace the current DL DVDRW.
Thanks

For the past 6 months I've had my 360 on about 1/50th as much as my PS3. Ive been purchasing all the cross platform titles on ps3 now as well since they run as good or better it seems, finally. The fact that it streams all my movies w/o having to boot into the 360 MCE and plays BDs and plays games makes it on the majority of the time at my house. I havent had my 360 on since mass effect actually.

EA has stated they forsee the ps3 outselling the 360 by 2008 year end. Granted thats a long ways off and just speculation, i think MS will have to do some strategic thinking once blu-ray is officially the winner. Blu-Ray winning will definitely pump ps3 sales higher.

I had this HUGE response typed up and then I realized I was going to miss my qualifiers for the Special Olympics 400m run, so I've gotta go.

One of the publicly stated reasons why MS decided not to go with HD-DVD in the 360 is because neither HD-DVD nor Bluray drives are fast enough currently. Had the 360 been equipped with a mandatory hard drive, they could've let developers compensate by installing some files like the PS3, but that would've been incredibly costly, i.e. PS3-like costly.

As long as HD-DVD drives are slower, including one in the 360 is not possible because we would have two 360s at two different performance specs, with the newer one actually performing worse than the baseline Arcade/Core unit, which is what all developers code for.

There are rumors that there will be a drive fast enough later in the year that could possibly be included in the 360, but it's all just speculation based on Toshiba's release roadmaps.

Besides, MS has had all sorts of trouble with current tech hardware failures in their 360, they don't need to go adding in another unknown. Yes, the Falcons seem to fail less (I have one myself) but they really haven't been out long enough to call it a win.

I wouldn't listen to a BB employee. Awhile back I was looking at video cards. The BB employee came up and asked what does the 256 mean. :eek:

That..... has got to be one of the funniest things I've heard. Seriously, I knew most of the people who work there are computer illiterate but damn....

adoption rate for HD has been waaaaaaaay higher than DVD. DVD took two years and the PS2 to really get going. HD is serioius already after a year, and now that Blu-ray is clearly on top, it is soaking up most of the continuing success of HD.

also, prices are coming down. over the past 4 months, just about every Blu-ray ever released has been down to $20 or less in some kind of sale. Disney Blu-rays have all been $20 in stores and online for like a month now.

and there are still plenty of $25 DVDs out there.

and yeah, Blu-ray blows away DVD. even a shitty Blu-ray transfer looks better than an upscaled DVD. Blu-ray also blows away broadcast HD, which is not available in 1080p, and is still quite compressed. good example, 720p broadcast of LOST vs. 1080p Blu-ray transfer. the Blu-ray is hands down waaaaay better. even on my 720p TV, the difference is VERY obvious.

adoption rate for HD has been waaaaaaaay higher than DVD. DVD took two years and the PS2 to really get going. HD is serioius already after a year, and now that Blu-ray is clearly on top, it is soaking up most of the continuing success of HD.
Only because of the PS3. Standalone player sales have been a joke.

Back