Best Buy To Sell Its Own Tablet

HardOCP News

[H] News
According to this Reuters article, Best Buy has plans to sell its own table under its Insignia brand. Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

The Insignia Flex is intended to go toe-to-toe with Amazon's Kindle Fire HD tablet, Google's Nexus 7, and a slew of other Android tablets from Google and Samsung. A smaller and less expensive version of Apple's popular iPad tablet is expected to be unveiled next week.

Who comes up with these god awful in-house brand names?

I wouldn't buy an Insignia anything. Table, Tablet or otherwise. Stupid generic names like that remind of junk you find at Zellers.

I sorta want one, if only to break it and use it as a shank against a Geek Squad employee.

That's not so bad, house brands are made by well-known manufacturers and just have a different name stamped on them.

tablets are so easy to make best buy has one

...I didn't know what I was gonna say till I just clicked the white box and said what I thought.....

tablets are so easy to make best buy has one

...I didn't know what I was gonna say till I just clicked the white box and said what I thought.....

successful tablets are so hard to make only apple has one.

forget large profit margins, what tablets are even breaking even so far?

Best Buy sort of demonstrates that everyone is doing a "me too" product when it comes to tablets which is a lot like what happened with netbooks. That gives me lots of hope that tablets really are just another fad and the dumb people that buy them are gonna end up like the people that bought 3D home theaters.

tablets and mobile computing in general have finally come to the cusp of maturity, the day where people need nothing more than there smart mobile devices for most of there computing needs is here. Calling it a fad when the first Microsoft tablets were being released would've been correct about 10 years ago or so but mobile computing power is here to stay and that is where the money and R&D is going regardless of how you feel. I'm not saying the desktop is dead but it isn't number one for computing needs of the masses , every large manufacturer of anything tech is just pushing for mobile computing, mobile os, touch interface.

Might as well. If Barnes and Noble can do it and be pretty successful with it, why not Best Buy?

Good plan if you ask me. Nothing wrong with it. Fisher Price...really? Dont think so. Apple tabs and phones suck imo. To limeted in what you can do and have on it. I dont own a tablet yet but have used alot. Im looking to get one soon. Ill look into this one. i prefer the android os myself.

Good plan if you ask me. Nothing wrong with it. Fisher Price...really? Dont think so. Apple tabs and phones suck imo. To limeted in what you can do and have on it. I dont own a tablet yet but have used alot. Im looking to get one soon. Ill look into this one. i prefer the android os myself.

Well, ok, ok, you got me. Maybe you can make a good case that the mental level for iPad usability is at the caliber of fisher price toys. ;)

successful tablets are so hard to make only apple has one.

forget large profit margins, what tablets are even breaking even so far?

I know that Apple fans like to try and rewrite reality but the Nexus 7 and the Kindle Fire have both been quite successful.

I started out playing with some cheap no name tablets that I got for next to nothing from Big lots. Definitely useful for some tasks, but to many hiccups.

I then picked up a Blackberry Playbook. A great tablet made by a crappy company. No apps. I just sold it on Ebay for a little over half what I paid for it 6 months ago. :rolleyes:

Just bought a Google Nexus 16 gig for 250 bux. The only thing it is missing is an SD card slot. It will never replace my desktop, or even my laptop on the road, but it is extremely useful and easy to use. Jellybean is smooth as silk, and finally, all the apps I need.

I looked at the Kindle Fire, but too tied into Amazon Land.

Don

I recently bought a Nexus 7 16GB and I have to say its a great portable web/media device. The limited storage is a draw back but with a 2 dollar app and a 3 dollar OTG cable and I have all the storage space I need for movies and music. Mobile computing is no longer a fad and in fact the way many people get online now. Granted none of these devices can truly replace a full blown desktop but for quick checks of email, web browsing and media usage you can't beat it.

They are struggling in the market now and they try this route? Who the heck makes these decisions for their company.

Insignia doesn't mean bad. It will not be Nexus 7 or Kindle Fire quality, but that's fine so long as it is priced right. I've got quite a bit of Insignia stuff around the house and it works just fine. My TV is an Insignia TV. When I got it 4 years ago, $500 for a 42" 1080p LCD was a steal. I've got a cheap 2.0 speaker receiver that was fantastic for the $40 it set me back. I've also got a pair of Insignia bookshelf speakers that were a few years back very highly regarded in respect to their price.

Riiiiiiiight . .. . . ;let me just stand over here with a real tablet and not give a shit, while you go out of business.

Might as well. If Barnes and Noble can do it and be pretty successful with it, why not Best Buy?

B&N has a product that they can sell on it and it happens to be a very popular product with a ginormous catalogue, what would BB sell on their tablet?

A computer store releasing a tablet just to be in the market to compete is a stupid idea. It wreaks of old people seeing a fad and wanting to jump on it before it goes stale. Its tough for Android tablets to sell as it is and they have great advertising and much better software support then what BB can offer.

What is the point to them getting into this market? They are not a designer/builder of electronics they are a seller for OEM's and Software.

They will probably try charge $100 for a "special cord" that charges your tablet 3x faster because its infused with ionized bullshit.

pyramid.jpg

God I just wish Best Buy would go out of business. They give all of us real geeks a bad name.

Best Buy sort of demonstrates that everyone is doing a "me too" product when it comes to tablets which is a lot like what happened with netbooks. That gives me lots of hope that tablets really are just another fad and the dumb people that buy them are gonna end up like the people that bought 3D home theaters.

All depends what you're going for. I bought my tablet to play music videos in the car. A much cheaper solution than buying an in-dash dvd player, that gives nearly zero options for playing formats like mp4, mkv, etc. Although, I also have an in-dash dvd player, but sick of converting videos and making a dvd. Much easier to just copy it over to the tablet or a USB key and plugging that into the tablet.

314963_10150410321735890_1769460770_n.jpg

Surfing the web, works well enough on the tablet. Doing work? Nope. That blows. I do plan on getting a Windows 8 tablet, loading Windows 7 on it and getting a wireless bluetooth keyboard for it. I don't need the keyboard when on the move and when I'm in a stable location, can pull out the keyboard and mouse.

God I just wish Best Buy would go out of business. They give all of us real geeks a bad name.

I disagree, let the masses have their Best Buys.. without brick and mortar stores, the government would try and tax online stores more aggressively. Geeks/techies can choose not to go to BB but there's still a place for them.

Best Buy died a while back. They were dear and buried. Then, some jackasses came along and decided to infuse liquidize cash straight into corpse. As we all know from South Park, this has magical properties, like curing AIDS. Now, the Best Buy is shambling along, but there is NO brain activity.

tablets and mobile computing in general have finally come to the cusp of maturity, the day where people need nothing more than there smart mobile devices for most of there computing needs is here. Calling it a fad when the first Microsoft tablets were being released would've been correct about 10 years ago or so but mobile computing power is here to stay and that is where the money and R&D is going regardless of how you feel. I'm not saying the desktop is dead but it isn't number one for computing needs of the masses , every large manufacturer of anything tech is just pushing for mobile computing, mobile os, touch interface.

I agree - Media consumption is now the realm of the tablet for the masses. My wife can lie down on the couch with her iPad and watch a TV show she wants. I can roll over in bed and watch a netflix episode on my kindle hd while it sits on the nightstand. I can take as many books as I want on the tablet with me on vacation and not take up valuable bag space. Music player blah blah. Now I can even make a Skype video call simply enough anywhere too.

For the masses it isn't going away I agree.

All depends what you're going for. I bought my tablet to play music videos in the car. A much cheaper solution than buying an in-dash dvd player, that gives nearly zero options for playing formats like mp4, mkv, etc. Although, I also have an in-dash dvd player, but sick of converting videos and making a dvd. Much easier to just copy it over to the tablet or a USB key and plugging that into the tablet.

Surfing the web, works well enough on the tablet. Doing work? Nope. That blows. I do plan on getting a Windows 8 tablet, loading Windows 7 on it and getting a wireless bluetooth keyboard for it. I don't need the keyboard when on the move and when I'm in a stable location, can pull out the keyboard and mouse.

Red bull cans, tablet, in dash DVD, looks like you smoke and if that isn't enough you drive a standard? That must make it really hard to eat a burrito while texting. :)

Just bought a Google Nexus 16 gig for 250 bux. The only thing it is missing is an SD card slot.

That's the main reason I don't already own a Google Nexus Tablet. Like the specs, and the price was good, but I won't buy a tablet without an SD slot.
Maybe if it came with 64GB at that price I'd reconsider.

Red bull cans, tablet, in dash DVD, looks like you smoke and if that isn't enough you drive a standard? That must make it really hard to eat a burrito while texting. :)

Nah, pretty easy when you're stuck in D.C. traffic. That's the whole reason for the setup. Many times have I been in gridlock for an hour waiting for traffic to clear up.

It also helped me stay awake while driving from Maryland to Idaho about 2 weeks ago. Shrunk a 3-4 day drive into 48 hours with only 4 hours of sleep. What!?!

That's the main reason I don't already own a Google Nexus Tablet. Like the specs, and the price was good, but I won't buy a tablet without an SD slot.
Maybe if it came with 64GB at that price I'd reconsider.

Ya, I wouldn't get any tablet or phone without a SD or Micro SD slot. I wouldn't mind a CF slot, then you can jam a microDrive in there. Although, not sure how slow that'd end up being.

I'm looking at going with a Windows 8 tablet to replace my current Win 7 notebook/tablet. I'll just reload it with Windows 7.

I'm guessing a Chinese made Best Buy table will be just as good as a [insert brand name here] Chinese made tablet.

I do feel sorry for anybody that says they want a tablet for Christmas and gets an Insmegmia brand tablet.

Bestbuy just can't help themselves.

Back