Best Buy Testing Free E-Waste Recycling Program

HardOCP News

[H] News
Now here is something we’d like to see other retailers do, start a free e-waste recycling program like Best Buy has done. The program allows people to drop off old electronics at selected locations to be recycled, even if the company didn’t sell you the item.

The trial, expected to be announced Monday, covers 117 Best Buy stores scattered across eight states that will collect a wide variety of electronic detritus at no charge, even if the Richfield, Minn.-based retailer didn't originally sell the merchandise. The pilot stores are in Best Buy's Northern California, Minneapolis and Baltimore markets, as well as parts of North Dakota, South Dakota, Iowa, Wisconsin, Virginia and Washington, D.C.

I'm surprised it took so long. Electronics recyclers pay good money for bulk electronics scrap.

Here in norway, its been like that forever, ALL retailers as long as they sell anything electronic they have to accept it!.

good deal eh ?

better than throwing it in the woods or in a regular land fill.

Yeah, I'd be more than happy to take old electronics, the metals on them can rack you a nice chunk of change. Also, a lot of people throw away decent machines which can be resold on ebay or flea markets.

No biggie to me, local county dump here takes electronics off your hands for free, they palletize the crap and sell it to some 3rd party. Makes them a few $$$ and keeps that crap out of the ground.

Can you fit the Geek Squad, their car, and that billboard advertising $$$$ to install memory, RAM, etc, etc... in there?

Yeah, I'd be more than happy to take old electronics, the metals on them can rack you a nice chunk of change. Also, a lot of people throw away decent machines which can be resold on ebay or flea markets.

Not any of my machine ... I go through it and yank parts out... you think BB will take a shell?

Sounds like a good idea to me. Kind of like how most decent auto parts stores have the big oil recycling container in them, even if you didn't buy the oil there.

Sounds like a good idea to me. Kind of like how most decent auto parts stores have the big oil recycling container in them, even if you didn't buy the oil there.

I have yet to see one :( I've always had to pay somone to take my oil.

Not any of my machine ... I go through it and yank parts out... you think BB will take a shell?

Don't see why not. Metal prices are absurdly high. Scrap aluminum is about $1.25/lb, not sure where steel is. They're not going to search the case, or care.

In reality it's the gold in the components that's most valuable, but general scrap metals are good too.

I have tried twice so far to confirm this with the Stockton, CA store so that we can use it. Both times resulted in me being put on hold twice for longer than 5 minutes.

Sorry, but either they know the info or don't. It sounded like both girls were talking to someone else about it before I was put on hold.

Stockton BestBuy Ph: 209-474-1839

I'm glad to hear of this. For some time now, I've been wondering if there was a free e-waste recycling center near me and I'd come to the conclusion there wasn't. Luckily, there are two Best Buy stores nearby.

An update:

I JUST got off the phone with my BB and was told to just take my items to the cashier (customer service area) and I would sign something (she couldn't elaborate) and that would be it. And not to take the stuff to GeekSquad.

Something I saw on the History channel once, 30 old motherboards yield about an ounce in gold, and gold is trading at.... $900 an ounce :)

Back