Best Buy Stops Selling Huawei Phones

rgMekanic

[H]ard|News
cNet is reporting that Best Buy has ceased ordering Huawei smartphones, and will stop selling its products over the next few weeks. Best Buy declined to comment o the decision, however this is a bad turn for Huawei, as it had been trying to establish a presence in the U.S for some time.

While Best Buy declined to comment, I think there is a good chance it has to do with the recent rumors of of Huawei phones spying on their users, to the point where lawmakers suggested people not use their phones. So much for getting that sweet KFC phone.

Huawei was widely expected to announce a partnership with AT&T in January at CES to carry the Mate 10 Pro smartphone, but the carrier reportedly backed out because of political pressure. A few days later, Verizon reportedly nixed its own plans to sell Huawei phones. Instead, Richard Yu, CEO of the company's consumer business, spent his time talking about the phones, which were already in the market elsewhere, as well as touting the Porsche Design variant of the smartphone.

I'd really like to see proof of this one way or the other so we can put this to bed. Either the phones ARE sending inappropriate spy data back to China, or they ARE NOT. Rumors don't impress me. Has anyone actually sat down and watched the data traffic to and from a bunch of Huawei phones to find out?

No way its worse then Google ect
I think it's tied to the Chinese government.

The DOD released a memo on quite a few Chinese companies. Including DJI drones. Another company Yi Xaomi has also been flagged for sending data back, if I remember reading correctly. This is data outside the scope of telemetry.

Safe to assume that a lot of Chinese company products are compromised. It's a good thing nothing else is produced in that country ....... .. .

I'd really like to see proof of this one way or the other so we can put this to bed. Either the phones ARE sending inappropriate spy data back to China, or they ARE NOT. Rumors don't impress me. Has anyone actually sat down and watched the data traffic to and from a bunch of Huawei phones to find out?
I'm guessing that 90% of people don't match their profiling interests, so those don't send data back to China, but the remainder on the other hand...

I need to buy a Huawei phone.

(Somewhere deep in China):
"He's photographing his dog pooping on a railroad track again."
"Huh... Is he talking to his mother?"
"No, but he's listening to something called 'April Wine'."

P.S. I have a 4" rubber stamp that says "TOP SECRET." A friend bought it for me for a special holiday, it would be great for this.

P.P.S. Should I worry that my underwear is made in Vietnam? Sometimes, at night, it climbs up my ass.

2w4d002.jpg

You won't detect squat looking at traffic if it's any decent adversary. You're also assuming the thing doesn't have implants in the radio hardware doing some other stuff.

Nah man, Chinese are trustworthy.

100%. I trust them with all my data.....since my phone will access basically everything.

OPM hack? Chinese? Still trustworthy, almost as trustworthy as Putin

vladimir_putin.jpg

There's been some rather vociferous lobbying of congress for the past couple of years about this. It might also be a coincidence that several of these firms that have been lobbying have their manufacturing based out of South Korea. Regardless, using huawei stuff really is just asking the Chinese government to take all your data.

As the owner of a MediaPad M3, I'm not really saddened by this. They somehow manage to make Samsung look like they're the best designer of smooth skins for Android, and also the quickest updater for their devices, especially in regards to security patches.

It's pretty pathetic, and if there was a decent 8" non-Amazon tablet available in the US, I'd have moved already.

I won't by anything from a company whose name I can not pronounce.

Look like an idiot trying to tell people what device you have.

hu-ah-way isn't that hard to pronounce, is it? At least, there are harder names to pronounce. Marines do it all the time.

At this point any phone beyond a pixel, iphone or galaxy and you will get the same confused look regardless lol.

Never took this company seriously. Always considered it cheap Chinese crap.

And, you're wrong. :rolleyes:

They make some of the better phones on the market, cheaper. Albeit some of their more recent phones have climbed in price.

But by all means keep buying your Designed in America, Made in China iPhones and Pixels.

1 (67).gif

I doubt too many people will notice the disappearance from the market of a generic black plastic droid slab phone in a sea of clones.

If they want to look at pictures of my dick, that's fine by me. I've had the Honor 6x since Sept, and it's been the best phone I've ever owned. Inexpensive, unlocked, fast, durable - withstood the motorcycle handlebar test that killed my $600 HTC in 2min. Single cylinder motor will vibrate most things to death. If this phone ever dies, I'd buy another without hesitation.

Safe to assume that a lot of Chinese company products are compromised. It's a good thing nothing else is produced in that country

which is making me wonder just how these trade sanctions with china are gonna play out.

If they want to look at pictures of my dick, that's fine by me. I've had the Honor 6x since Sept, and it's been the best phone I've ever owned. Inexpensive, unlocked, fast, durable - withstood the motorcycle handlebar test that killed my $600 HTC in 2min. Single cylinder motor will vibrate most things to death. If this phone ever dies, I'd buy another without hesitation.
My first and only smartphone is a Honor 5X. It does what I need, and I barely use it for more than a phone. My kid does a lot more than I do, and just got the 7X, and it's a noticeable upgrade from his 5X. Much closer to stock Android than the 5X. Both models were $200. I sure hope they stop their shenanigans, because they're pretty much king of budget smartphones.

I think a lot of people forget that Huawei made the highly popular Nexus 6P. No issues back then? If I remember correctly, Google wanted them to continue making Nexus devices as long as they'd remove their name branding, which they declined and that's when they really started releasing more phones. Anyone who hasn't tried one - Honor, Mate or xP lineup, really should.

USA: Don't use Kaspersky because they're spying on you! Don't buy Huawei phones because they're spying on you!! Don't let Broadcom bid because they'll probably insert backdoors and spy on you!!

BB: We ... uh.. decided to not sell Huawei phones.... um no reason in particular...

Meanwhile: NSA, Equifax, Cambridge Analytica, ISPs, Wireless Carriers, all tech companies, etc

I'll just be honest, I don't even care anymore. If they want to spy on me good for them, I hope they find my internet habits useful. I hope they find that the $14 dollars in my savings account puts me on some watch list, I hope that they find my attempt to battle the world with memes and good thoughts and vibes is a terrible menace. If they discover that I like to dload tons of old war plane pictures of the deep dark web it makes them tremble. If I can save one life with a thoughtful caring FB post, that is all that matters. Everything is compromised, I go to Lowes and I can feel those live screens on the refrigerator following my every move. Guess it's time to pick up more stool softner, send out the alert to mother china. This is all BS, they have always been spying on us and they will always be spying on us the real fight is who gets my tasty data first and I believe I should at least get some sort of royalty.

China doesn't give a fuck about Joe Schmo's daily life. They want tech secrets from pretty much every major industry and if Joe works for one of those places, has access, and uses their phone...they win.

* Samsung Galaxy. And you keep on buying your walking security breach. :facepalm:

Keep drinking that Gov. kool-aide.

Do you honestly believe that the NSA, FBI, Google, Apple, Samsung, LG, whothefuckever... does not collect your data? All of this spy data, whose servers must it run through before it gets back to China?

I have not read up on it yet but didn't we just pass something called the Cloud Act? Slipped it in with the 1.x Trillion dollar spending bill. From what I gathered it no longer meas that the government needs a warrant for your data - might be wrong here. If someone, almost anyone, wants your data they can get it.

My Mate 9 just received the last android OS release. It took a while for them to get it out.

I have removed my banking apps from the phone because I don't trust it any more. Huawei doesn't release security updates frequently enough for me to feel comfy.

Regardless the phone, for the price I paid, is a nice phablet and was one of the last in that aspect ratio which I prefer.

Its not the phone itself that is the problem, but the software that will be installed on it before leaving the factory or distributor.

pass something called the Cloud Act?

Yes AFAICT what it does is remove the need for the foreign govt to process the request. eg, if US govt says go search FB's DC, and the particular DC happens to be in France, and FB tries to say "oh no that DC isn't on US soil so you'll have to get FR govt to comply," US govt can say hahahaha and go do it IGNORING THAT COUNTRY'S PRIVACY LAWS.

Here's a great writeup from EFF: https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2018/...s-expansion-police-snooping-cross-border-data

Back