Best Buy Spammed Me More Than All Of Nigeria’s Princes Combined

HardOCP News

[H] News
Even though I can totally sympathize with this guy, I couldn't help but laugh at that "spammed me more than all of Nigeria’s princes combined" part. :D

Or at least it was, until I made the mistake of getting something at Best Buy. For a full four weeks, I received one or two e-mails a day from the ubiquitous retail store with subject lines like “4-HOUR SALE: Starts now,” “You’d be crazy to pass on this,” “Amazing deals end soon,” and “Jon, save 15% on ink and toner.”

This guy seems to be using Outlook or some form of Exchange Online...it's really freakin' easy to block email addresses. Instead of complaining, just block bestbuy.com and be on your way.

Or, we can make a big deal about something insignificant.

This guy seems to be using Outlook or some form of Exchange Online...it's really freakin' easy to block email addresses. Instead of complaining, just block bestbuy.com and be on your way.

It isn't insignificant, it's actually very significant.

First off, why does Best Buy feel they have to bomb customers with email like this? On the one side there is a link at the bottom of their emails so you can unsubscribe to several types of email and cut down the level of intrusion. Blocking them completely is pretty stupid unless you really don't want anything from them at all, might be good to receive that shipping information about the online product your going to buy next month. You might forget you blocked them as you wait for what was already sent. Outlook and Exchange both allow you to block email just like any other so where you get that observance is anyone's guess.

Complaining is how you let a company know they are doing something wrong. If a company get's a few complaints about a heavily used method then they usually drive on knowing you can't make everyone happy all the time. but if they get heavy complaints then it helps them see that their approach is wrong and they need to adjust it. If no one said anything at all and just blocked their email how are they ever going to know that they aren't getting through and to try something less intrusive?

Nothing wrong with complaining. Too many people these days think the making a complaint is useless and a sign of some mental handy cap.

"Hey, it's OK if I choose not to bathe. All you have to do is just pinch your nose with your thumb and index finger. Problem solved!"

This is pretty much your argument, holmes.

It isn't insignificant, it's actually very significant.

First off, why does Best Buy feel they have to bomb customers with email like this? On the one side there is a link at the bottom of their emails so you can unsubscribe to several types of email and cut down the level of intrusion. Blocking them completely is pretty stupid unless you really don't want anything from them at all, might be good to receive that shipping information about the online product your going to buy next month. You might forget you blocked them as you wait for what was already sent. Outlook and Exchange both allow you to block email just like any other so where you get that observance is anyone's guess.

Complaining is how you let a company know they are doing something wrong. If a company get's a few complaints about a heavily used method then they usually drive on knowing you can't make everyone happy all the time. but if they get heavy complaints then it helps them see that their approach is wrong and they need to adjust it. If no one said anything at all and just blocked their email how are they ever going to know that they aren't getting through and to try something less intrusive?

Nothing wrong with complaining. Too many people these days think the making a complaint is useless and a sign of some mental handy cap.

I doubt Best Buy really feels the need to spam this guy, it's probably some error in their system. BB not being able to fix or address this issue is a problem and their wait time for unsubscribing is complete BS.

The person in the article is implying they've only made one purchase with Best Buy and after this experience, I doubt they'd do it again. It's also entirely possible Best Buy runs their marking campaign from a specific email address where you wouldn't need to block the whole domain. Again, this is all speculation because we can't actually see the emails or the header information.

People have the right to complain, but this is totally a non-issue with an easy fix. You say, "Complaining is how you let a company know they are doing something wrong", but boycotting is even better. You hit companies where it hurts, their profits. If the company is doing something you don't like...stop buying from them and tell them why. Tons of options out there for online retailers.

Where's my unsubscribe button for all the junk mail I get physically?

That's cause the Nigerian princes are coming to America.

giphy.gif

I've been lucky I think. I've never received an email from a prince. I'll never meet Mr. Right.

Better than my credit card company. As soon as the card was finally done with, they've been physically spamming me with checks every 2 weeks! Hoping to entice me to rack up more debt (at which point they'll be sure to lower my credit score and stop sending me checks...ah, I love how the credit system works...)

It is his fault for giving them his email address. Never give any store your email address or phone number.

I doubt Best Buy really feels the need to spam this guy, it's probably some error in their system. BB not being able to fix or address this issue is a problem and their wait time for unsubscribing is complete BS.

The person in the article is implying they've only made one purchase with Best Buy and after this experience, I doubt they'd do it again. It's also entirely possible Best Buy runs their marking campaign from a specific email address where you wouldn't need to block the whole domain. Again, this is all speculation because we can't actually see the emails or the header information.

People have the right to complain, but this is totally a non-issue with an easy fix. You say, "Complaining is how you let a company know they are doing something wrong", but boycotting is even better. You hit companies where it hurts, their profits. If the company is doing something you don't like...stop buying from them and tell them why. Tons of options out there for online retailers.

Where's my unsubscribe button for all the junk mail I get physically?

It's not an error at all. I had to unsubscribe from most of their email lists and finally select an option they have that says I don't want more then one email every two weeks when the others failed to make a dent in the flood.

Your a man of absolutes yes? It's all on or all off. Block them, boycott them, all in or all out. If you buy something from Best Buy I must assume you had good reason to choose them, service, price, convenience, something that suggests you made a calculated and deliberate decision based on sound shopping reasoning right?

But if there is something you don't like you'll refuse to buy from them as a sign of protest, all those other sound purchasing parameters tossed to the wind completely irrelevant because making a complaint just doesn't do it. No Sir, a complaint will not get it done, I must cease all contact because I have to make sure they feel it.

Ahh well, Your choice mate, your call :cool:

It doesn't matter which e-mail client anyone is using. Why should anyone have to block e-mail addresses through their e-mail client when all any company has to do is honor the request of the private party to stop sending SPAM e-mails to them?

It doesn't matter which e-mail client anyone is using. Why should anyone have to block e-mail addresses through their e-mail client when all any company has to do is honor the request of the private party to stop sending SPAM e-mails to them?

Not only that, it IS FEDERAL LAW that they comply when you hit that unsubscribe link per the CAN-SPAM act. So this is a big deal.

In the article, he actually did go through the unsubscribe process, as well as deleting his overall account - over 14 days went by, as well as directly reaching out to Best Buy, none of which stopped the deluge of e-mails.

This is just corporate BS. They dont honor the request. I've been thru this with other companies. And they say they'll stop sending emails, but they keep getting sent. After so many years its just better to change your email address.

I doubt Best Buy really feels the need to spam this guy, it's probably some error in their system.

An "error in their system"...I hope you're not serious.

Out of their millions of customers Best Buy's system happened to screw up just once and constantly spam only him with tons of ads and "sales"? Get real.

I think this person wrote another article before where it was not even a email address he truly uses. Guess he got a tip from someone that he could sue bestbuy and get tons of money.

One of my emails automatically blocks paypal as spam. Too bad I've been hit with late payments 3 times when they sent my bill to my email address which went directlt yo my spam folder.

My biggest complaint is when you do unsubscribe from some of that crap and they tell you it could take up to 4 weeks to remove your email address. Really WTF is this 1982? How is unsubscribing not instant? Do they have to fill out some paperwork before they tell their servers to stop spamming you? Totally bogus bullshit.

One of my emails automatically blocks paypal as spam. Too bad I've been hit with late payments 3 times when they sent my bill to my email address which went directlt yo my spam folder.

My biggest complaint is when you do unsubscribe from some of that crap and they tell you it could take up to 4 weeks to remove your email address. Really WTF is this 1982? How is unsubscribing not instant? Do they have to fill out some paperwork before they tell their servers to stop spamming you? Totally bogus bullshit.

Not to mention illegal. Commercial senders have 10 days to remove you, not a month or more.

Back