Best Buy Sends Newegg Cease and Desist Letter

HardOCP News

[H] News
According to Newegg's Facebook page, the company has received a cease & desist letter from Best Buy. Why? This (hilarious) advertisement:

Thanks to Austin for the heads up! For those of you unable to access Facebook from work, here's a copy of the letter.

Best Buy is toast!

It's what you get pushing sales over service asshats.

Best Buy is just worried about people finding out about a competent competitor. They should be scared. Very scared.

the messed up part its that it's true. Usually BB employees aren't worth a fook. Either their incompetent or they are always bs or texting.

So they are suing because the guy had a blue shirt on? I watch that video and never seen Best Buy or Geek Squad mentioned any where.

I hate to do a 4chan, but

>Implying geek squad it out on the display floor selling computers, and not in the back over-charging people to make restore disks

I didn't see a BB logo anywhere...someone feeling a little paranoid? lol

Truth in advertising

LOL, great ad. Newegg was being easy on BB. I've heard and seen much worse from the blue shirts, like outright lies and misinformation, and my favorite, the disappearing act.

Best Buy is awful and many (notice I didn't say all for the few competent ones) of there employees are complete morons who are told to force unwanted items or credit programs you don't need or want.

I still go in to BB occasionally and ask the home theater guys why I should buy a monster cable as opposed to something from say monoprice. ;)

I doubt this will go anywhere. Best Buy can't copyright a color (like T-Mobile going after Engadget for magenta a few years back).

I didn't see a BB logo anywhere...someone feeling a little paranoid? lol

Truth in advertising

An ad that has somebody in it that doesn't know what he's selling? Why that's got to be our store they're making fun of! Or are they trying to claim that wearing a blue shirt is now a Best Buy trademark?

lol! Maybe they are suing because the guy in the commercial REALLY does work at Best Buy? lol

On one of my few visits to Best Buy, I once heard an employee giving a customer gpu advice. I smirked hearing the crap he was shoveling and after the employee walked away, I went to the customer and told him what was right and wrong with what the employee said, and then pointed out the fact that all of their gpu's were double the regular price and to go online to amazon/newegg :p

It's funny because BB is now adopting the approach of Monster Cable, whose products they have been pushing on unknowing customers for years...Overprice your products and then sue anybody who uses one of the words in your trademarked phrase...

Whaaaaa???

That store looks nothing like my Best Buy. There are no BB logos and the laptops aren't all chained down to those annoying alarm devices. Not only that, I see no other associates standing around texting on their phones or bullshitting with other employees.

The sad part is that has happened to me at best buy. The sales guy read the labels right in front of me then repeated them to me when I asked about the product.

Truth hurts BB, suck it up!

If I were Newegg I'd simply reply with.

"haha"

Wonder if BB can really do anything about it if Newegg keeps running the ads?

Where is the GEEK ON logo they reference over and over? How can you trademark the power button? It's had the same look for ever not just on computers. To tell the truth though the first thing I thought when watching that video was best buy...

BB should be thanking Newegg profusely for taking so long to come up with an ad like this and for not broadcasting it on national tv.

Too bad the slovenly uninformed kid in the blue shirt didn't try to sell the buyer an extended warranty and credit card!

"Clueless Blue-Shirt-Wearing Sales Monkey" is clearly an intellectual property owned by Best Buy, Newegg better be careful.
;)

lol! Maybe they are suing because the guy in the commercial REALLY does work at Best Buy? lol

He might as well, I've only met one BB employee that know what they were talking about, adn half the stuff we talked about he told me was better to get at Newegg. Of course, that's if you can get one of the idiots attention since they are all walking some clueless fool around by the hand selling them everything in the store they don't need.

Anyone notice the clean packaging at the end of the Newegg video? That can't be Newegg.

Heh. Nice commercial. Totally Best Buy's fault, too. They don't hire anyone qualified to assist customers with technology.

"What, you have a few certifications? Take a hike. We're not paying you that much."

LOL. I love it!

I was at Best Buy a few days ago, with my father-in-law, doing "research" on TV's and speakers. I told him before we went in what to expect...uninformed employees that'll read you the specs off the sheets in front of display model (exactly whats depicted in the advert..).

Guess what? EXACTLY what happened above. We asked about speakers, and the kid just pointed to the most expensive "Polk are pretty good....". When we asked what the difference was between some center channels he said... "well...these are on sale, and they're cheaper". No shit Sherlock.

We walked out laughing. I told my father-in-law that I'll hop onto Newegg, and a few other sites, visit a few forums and read reviews from people who actually have the product, then find the best price online.

Oh wow...I'm still chuckling. I'm going to forward this to my father-in-law...he'll have a chuckle too!

The guy will probably get fired for moonlighting.... saw his picture on the Employee of the Month wall....

Best buy should just make a commercial in which a customer gets his newegg box and its 2 days late, all busted to hell, the customer service gets back to him a day after the return period, the RMA shipping is more than the cost of the item, and their money is locked up waiting on a replacement part. it comes busted up too.

best buy still sucks tho, only two worse retail experiences is a Verizon/AT&T store and Radio Shack.

Honestly, I thought those commercials were making fun of Wal-Mart and their electronics department workers, rather than Best Buy.

BB your soon to be hard pounded sand is right over there ---------------->

I see nothing regarding Worst Buy in the vid. Go NEWEGG!

I have amused myself at both Best Buy and Frys by correcting sales persons. They get so mad. I just hate to see people who are not knowledgeable with computers get taken for a ride.

Then, to close, I'll point out what web sites usually have the same products for 25% or more off the sticker price in BB.

I cant think of a time I have asked a technical question at BB and received an answer that was correct. Well, except maybe where are the hard drives.

The other sad thing I have found at BB is their clearance price is usually just about the same as the regular online price for item X.

I dont see why they dont get sued for false advertisement using the name Best Buy. Doesnt that imply they will have competitive pricing?

I didn't see any references to BB, if it wasn't for the blue shirt, I would have thought it was a Fry's store, they don't know what the feck they are selling either, unless it's the weekly special.

Back