Best Buy Responds To “3D Glasses Syncing Service”

HardOCP News

[H] News
Best Buy has responded to recent criticism over charging customers for a “3D glasses synching service

I wanted to address any lingering confusion about the characterization of services support in the Best Buy Samsung 3DTV offer that was advertised in yesterday’s (March 21) insert. We by no means intended to confuse our customers or offer fraudulent services. The offer is new to our stores, and our own employees were trained on it just this past week.

Wait what? What on earth is that reply suppose to mean?

You don't calibrate 3D glasses. Period. You are offering a service to do such. Seams pretty fraudulent to me.

Talk about back peddling...

This is one of the reasons I can't stand Best Buy, they offer lame solutions that don't help the customer in the end(well...besides alleviating them of their hard earned coin).

Wait what? What on earth is that reply suppose to mean?

You don't calibrate 3D glasses. Period. You are offering a service to do such. Seams pretty fraudulent to me.

Sounds like he was saying "the employees just didn't know. We just trained them, so ignore everything they said before that."

I like how he ignores the fact that there's simply no way to calibrate it, whether the employees or trained or not. lol

calibration consists of

1. Sell Calibration
2. Swipe customer's credit card
3. Calibration Complete

just another easy money scheme from ignorant consumers.
I use them for the rare killer deal, but aside from that, frys (much further though)

"our own employees were trained" Oh best Buy why do you always choose to lie to me, funny story though, good times.

Perfectly understandable service when a customers buys the TV, plugs it in and puts on the glasses and wonders why nothing happened except for a huge headache and a desire to be the biggest dick in the world at the returns counter. The sync service probably consists of them hooking everything up and then plugging the glasses in to charge.

funny how they think they have to sync their glasses up to the tv. Damn it my left lens is only syncing at 45Mhz and it needs to be 60Mhz!! Whatever go to hell BestBuy

The guy said that some TV's require that you go into the settings and set up the support for glasses. Going into today's TV settings and making things work right is, sadly, more of a difficult feat for most "regular" consumers than it should be, so I sort of see where the whole syncing thing could make sense...but that doesn't make Best Buy's idiot tactics any more acceptable. Wasn't it Best Buy who offered a $50 service to "customize" (turn it on, create a profile, download updates) the Xbox 360?

Or how they'll gladly charge you 50 dollars to upgrade the PS3 HDD that takes a few minutes to do after you backup....

1. Set up and connect your TV + up to 5 components (Blu Ray, Cable Box, Satellite Box, etc )

how much does the 6th component cost?

And on the 7th day, Fail took his computer to Best Buy and paid $30 for the computer optimization service.

It doesnt matter how long it takes, I charge $75 dollars an hour for onsite small business or home technology help, whether that is setting up a small wireless network, Active Directory, or showing granny how to burn music CD's. It is a service people.

I suppose paying someone to change your oil and install rotors on your car is a ripoff too? If you KNEW how to do it you wouldn't pay someone to. No service is a ripoff unless they are lying to you.

If it takes 5 minutes who cares, try getting anyone to come to your house for less than $50 bucks a trip.

It doesnt matter how long it takes, I charge $75 dollars an hour for onsite small business or home technology help, whether that is setting up a small wireless network, Active Directory, or showing granny how to burn music CD's. It is a service people.

I suppose paying someone to change your oil and install rotors on your car is a ripoff too? If you KNEW how to do it you wouldn't pay someone to. No service is a ripoff unless they are lying to you.

If it takes 5 minutes who cares, try getting anyone to come to your house for less than $50 bucks a trip.

Stop trying to justify best buys rip off actions.

I give out a service to my fellow troops. If they need help, I charge them for keyboard time. Not an hourly rate, even though my rate is 50 bucks an hour, I don't charge for when i am not on that keyboard.

Best buy is down right ripping people off, and they need to die off like compUSSR.

Changing oil and installing rotors? This "service" that Best Buy offers is more akin to paying someone to choose your car air freshener and to set your AC to the appropriate level!

I'm not trying to defend Best Buy. However, if you want to do 3D properly and have good image quality you'll need two different calibrations. One for when the glasses are off and one for when they are on. I checked out the Best Buy 3D demo and the glasses have a tint which makes the picture different. If you wanted to compensate for that you'd need a different calibration.

Geek Squad "calibration" services, yeah right. Why don't consumers buy from smaller independent shops anymore? The pricing is typically competitive and a good percentage of shops actually have people who know what the hell they are talking about.

If a bunch of idiots want to pay Best Buy for these overpriced services, then Best Buy would be quite retarded to not offer it. I personally would never be so foolish, but making money on fools is part of what makes capitalism great. Keep it up I say.

Then they can keep paying the bills that the company I work for sends them. :)

Talk about back peddling...

This is one of the reasons I can't stand Best Buy, they offer lame solutions that don't help the customer in the end(well...besides alleviating them of their hard earned coin).

Which is why my friend and I started our own computer business to combat it in our town. Best buy was unfortunately the only place around until we started.

We'll go to a house for under $50....And you would really charge an older lady who obviously has no idea $75 to burn music CD's? Nice man, real nice. :rolleyes::mad:

If a bunch of idiots want to pay Best Buy for these overpriced services, then Best Buy would be quite retarded to not offer it. I personally would never be so foolish, but making money on fools is part of what makes capitalism great. Keep it up I say.

Then they can keep paying the bills that the company I work for sends them. :)

Maybe, but how would it be phrased to sell this service without being considered fraud?
Garbage like their "calibration" is at least actually doing something. Not something worthwhile exactly but something nonetheless. This 3D Glass Syncing thing is just utter make believe and there is no service provided or good furnished in exchange for money. Sounds like fraud.

They claim they're charging $150 to perform a service that doesn't exist.

If I went to a mechanic and he told me he'd change my headlight fluid for $150, should I just say "OK, you are an expert and you're providing me with a service, so I should pay"? Fuck no.

We'll go to a house for under $50....And you would really charge an older lady who obviously has no idea $75 to burn music CD's? Nice man, real nice. :rolleyes::mad:

Yeah I would if it took me an hour or more to show her. My rate is my rate. If the old lady is okay with my rate then I don't see what the problem is. I'm not sure what are you are working in but $50 dollars is really cheap.

I checked out the 3d experience at Best Buy. It was awesome.

They told me that if I buy the TV, I'm going to have to buy some more expensive HDMI cable to carry the 3D signal.

I think it's time for plastic surgery. I can't believe I look stupid enough for them to believe that *I* would believe I have to buy a specially made Monster Cable cable to run 3D. HDMI 1.4 from Merit Line, please and thank you.

Its a legitimate service for idiots. Seriously, anyone gonna buy this 3D crap? I think its gimmicky. Plus 3D glasses give sme a headache after 30 or so minutes of use.

I guess they figure if someone will throw away good money for a "3D" LCD and a "3D" blu-ray player,then they'll probably be dumb enough to fall for this.:rolleyes:

Yeah, I still don't understand these new "3D" TVs...Isn't any 120+ Hz TV capable of 3D?

... Plus 3D glasses give sme a headache after 30 or so minutes of use.

Obviously YOU didn't get Best Buy's magical calibration. They tried to help you, but NO, you wouldn't listen!! "I can just do it MYSELF" you said.... :D

Yeah, I still don't understand these new "3D" TVs...Isn't any 120+ Hz TV capable of 3D?

I don't think so, but I could be wrong. I haven't read up on the technology their planning on using lately, but AFAIK you'd need a 120hz signal to drive it @ 60hz per eye. However, I believe that they can send it through a 60hz signal, but the TV then needs to do some sort of magic to seperate the frames back into a 120hz format... which is what these 3D tv's are doing.

again, I could be wrong, but this is how I understood it

No, because it lacks the electronics for proper display of such a signal and peripheral electronics to synchronize the glasses.

Its a legitimate service for idiots. Seriously, anyone gonna buy this 3D crap? I think its gimmicky. Plus 3D glasses give sme a headache after 30 or so minutes of use.

3D does that to me too but only the IMAX ones. The new 3D made by RealD and XpanD do not give me headaches. You might want to check your theater and make sure they are not using the old 3D tech b/c many people got headaches from the old 3D and the new stuff is sharper. High end 3D is made by XpanD but there are not that many XpanD movie theaters in USA yet. we mostly use RealD in our theaters. Hopefully there will be a standard soon and more high end 3D coming out.

I work for Geeksquad, and we have alot of customers that know nothing, but have all the money in the world to buy all the extras we have. People without money pick the product, know what they are buying and walk out.

Back