Best Buy open-box laptops: safe purchase?

NattyKathy

[H]ard|Gawd
I've had very mixed experiences buying open-box components from Microcenter but I've never bought an open-box laptop at all, or anything open-box from BB for that matter but I see some good deals on ob laptops that are tempting. Obviously I don't trust the "testing" done by the store to catch issues with returned items so if I do go the open-box route I plan on bringing a USB stick to do a quick stress test with FurMark & CPUz. Thoughts?

I've had very mixed experiences buying open-box components from Microcenter but I've never bought an open-box laptop at all, or anything open-box from BB for that matter but I see some good deals on ob laptops that are tempting. Obviously I don't trust the "testing" done by the store to catch issues with returned items so if I do go the open-box route I plan on bringing a USB stick to do a quick stress test with FurMark & CPUz. Thoughts?
It's a case by case basis in my experience.

It's a case by case basis in my experience.
That... makes sense. At least with open-box laptops it's easy to test them in-store before buying (ppl on Reddit report being allowed to do so). I am a bit worried about liability going that route... say I inspect a laptop and it is defective, I don't want them to try and blame me saying "well it worked fine when Geek Squad powered it on and let it sit at the desktop for ten seconds with zero load on the CPU & GPU, the artifacting didn't start until this customer ran that scary Furmark app on it so it must be her fault!"

The potential bargains though, dang.

You should double check, but I'm pretty sure you can return open box items just like any other item. Buy it, take it home, test it, and return it if you aren't happy with it.

I've had pretty good luck with open box, but only buy if I get the same warranty as new/unopened items.

That... makes sense. At least with open-box laptops it's easy to test them in-store before buying (ppl on Reddit report being allowed to do so). I am a bit worried about liability going that route... say I inspect a laptop and it is defective, I don't want them to try and blame me saying "well it worked fine when Geek Squad powered it on and let it sit at the desktop for ten seconds with zero load on the CPU & GPU, the artifacting didn't start until this customer ran that scary Furmark app on it so it must be her fault!"

The potential bargains though, dang.

Ive never had an issue returning anything that was not functional when I got it open box. I always returned within a reasonable time period (usually within the week) and my claims always seemed reasonable. YMMV.

I've also had success negotiating down the price if I also purchased an extended protection plan (i.e 600 open box pc and I offer 525 and also buy the 99 2 year plan). This will get their metrics up so it's usually win win.

Good luck!

I would be very weary from Bestbuy, make sure to fire up the machine if you can and make sure it matches the specs and nothing obviously wrong like dead pixels, coil whine and no weird sounds.... but if you can pass that salt test you will most likely find issues before the return window.

I would be very weary from Bestbuy, make sure to fire up the machine if you can and make sure it matches the specs and nothing obviously wrong like dead pixels, coil whine and no weird sounds.... but if you can pass that salt test you will most likely find issues before the return window.
That's the plan, if they don't let me inspect & test it in-store I'll probably just buy new. Even a brief stress test with some portable software on a USB should sniff out any obvious issues.

That's the plan, if they don't let me inspect & test it in-store I'll probably just buy new. Even a brief stress test with some portable software on a USB should sniff out any obvious issues.
I’ve never had them let me open it in store from their inventory even if it was sold open box. I was told I can test it at home. You may have a hard time trying to get them to let you run software on it off a usb stick before you buy it FYI. I would be extremely surprised. They will likely tell you to buy it and return it if you’re not happy.

Idk the issue here. Buy it and if you discover a issue take it back. I would just do a physical check in the parking lot to make sure there isn't visible damage to the laptop and all included accessories in there. If there is take it right back. I doubt they will give you a hard time returning it.

I’ve never had them let me open it in store from their inventory even if it was sold open box. I was told I can test it at home. You may have a hard time trying to get them to let you run software on it off a usb stick before you buy it FYI. I would be extremely surprised. They will likely tell you to buy it and return it if you’re not happy.
Likely also depends on the employee helping you. I have worked best buy before and I would open things up for customers and give them the whole show to make them happy/return buyers.

Idk the issue here. Buy it and if you discover a issue take it back. I would just do a physical check in the parking lot to make sure there isn't visible damage to the laptop and all included accessories in there. If there is take it right back. I doubt they will give you a hard time returning it.
I wanted to see whether people would respond with "you have a high risk of getting a defective machine, don't waste your time" or "it will probably be ok, worth the risk". Seems more the latter, which is the info I was looking for.

I wanted to see whether people would respond with "you have a high risk of getting a defective machine, don't waste your time" or "it will probably be ok, worth the risk". Seems more the latter, which is the info I was looking for.
Yea. As long as they still honor the full warranty I don't see much risk in keeping it.

When I bought my open box Razer blade, I mentioned that I wanted to verify that the specs are valid since it was a customer return (ram amount and hard drive capacity is right, among other things). I also wanted to check out the condition (damaged screws...). I was able to do all that with the preface that I was going to buy it if it all checks out.

I think I got an open box lenovo yoga laptop from BB, and an open box chromebook. Both might as well have been new, minus the box.

So I ended up getting a factory refurb 2020 Omen 15 from Microcenter instead. Apparently when Best Buy says "1 in stock" they mean "0 in stock". Four canceled orders from different BB stores and I'm at MC where I should have gone to begin with lol

I worked at best buy/geek squad 7+ years ago. Back then at least, I don't know if its the same now, open box was almost entirely brand new items that were returned because people realized they didn't need or really want it. They would come with the same warranty as new items still. Test it if you can, but I never saw any risk in picking one up.

You can negotiate at best buy?
I had no idea
The more expensive your purchase, the more haggling power you have. Try and find the store manager and get him involved in your entire purchase. Once they are ringing you up, that manager will usually be inclined to bend backwards when it comes to adding more on. Especially if what you are adding is an item they have had in store for a long time.

So since the thread has already been necroed
I ended up buying an open-box Powerspec P1530 (in sig) from Microcenter instead in late March and it's been great since then. I think it was missing some of the original packaging and booted into Windows instead of into setup but it looked brand-new and has worked fine for the past 7 months.

I would have no qualms in the future buying or recommending open-box from MC (or BB based on the feedback) as long as the machine can be booted to Windows. My "stress-testing-in-the-store" plan may have been a bit extreme :rolleyes:

Back