Best Buy, Intel 520 180 gb $129 !

I was going to say "not really, there is a 240 (320 series) for $140 still in stock at newegg", because the $129 was the first number I prioritized in my mind when scanning the title after intel. Within that second of scanning I thought MEH, then about an 1/8th of a second later I saw the 520.......................................... :D
My jaw, ow.

SO EPICCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC.
Mothman, excellent work!

Limit per One customer though for me.

Nvm I think it's one limit per order, so that's hardly a hurdle.

Last edited:
Good deal but I think I'll hold out for the Retail Edge deal. $15 more but you do get the retail box and bracket along with a 5 year warranty.

Best Buy with good deals on computer hardware? What kind of world is this??;)

Good deal but I think I'll hold out for the Retail Edge deal. $15 more but you do get the retail box and bracket along with a 5 year warranty.

You can buy an icy dock adapter for $10 which is better, retail edge also charges tax and shipping.

I want the 3770K from IREP too, so they would be shipped together.

CPU from IREP and SSD from Best Buy:

$85
+.08% tax
+$15 shipping = $107 or so

$129
=.08% tax = $140

$247

CPU and SSD from IREP:

$85
+145
+.08% tax
+$15 shipping = $263

$16 more for 2 more years of coverage on the SSD, plus the mounting bracket which I don't have(or need really, but why not).

I love the BBY review of this drive:

Make sure you gave a high watt power supply (750+) to run this solid state drive. Otherwise you may experience issues with your PC powering off by itself.

About me...
Technology guru Gamer

how does it compare to a 830/840/pro? I only found the 250gig review on anandtech

Best Buy with good deals on computer hardware? What kind of world is this??;)

Your going to start seeing A LOT more of this from BB. There new company structure is going to be based on competing and beating online retailers..They have to or they are going out of buisness. They finally realized people were just coming into there stores, seeing what they wanted then buying it online. They actually said this flat out, along with another statement saying who is going to buy a $85 HDMI cable in store when you can get the equivalent quality or better online for $5.

It is starting to happen already sort of..But wait until next year when this is in full force..Best Buy could really change the industry if they do it right. They just need to start stocking a ton more components/variety in order to do it to its full potential.

Anyway..I picked up a 520 also, have been waiting for a decent deal for awhile now. I have been unhappy with my OCZ Agility 1 i bought a few years ago and have had it failed and replaced a couple times already. With this 520 series drive i hope to see some improvement, and i with the rugged testing and 5yr warranty i no worries.. Plus 180gb vs 60gb for my main drive will stop me from worry about that now :D

I love the BBY review of this drive:

how does it compare to a 830/840/pro? I only found the 250gig review on anandtech

Samsung and Intel are the leaders in SSD reliability. The Intel 520 benchmarks better than the Samsung 830 or standard 840, the 840 Pro is faster than the 520. Real world you would not notice the difference. The 520 uses an Intel vetted and improved Sandforce 2281 controller plus Intel's best Nand.
Intel and Samsung are the only makers who's 'toolbox' provides 'trim' for non-trim OS's like XP. I need to dual boot with XP so that's a plus for me.

Bought one myself. Pain in the butt reinstalling Windows 8 and I lost all my data except my steam drive. Hopefully its worth it haha

Hey i am somewhat out of the loop on keeping up with SSD's..I got in really on the 1st gen stuff, OCZ Agility like i mentioned earlier.

Can I use Win8 to just make an image of my drive and just re install that image onto the Intel 520? Or should i do a fresh install on the 520?

Lol @ the best buy customer review of this ssd, telling people to have a 750w psu to run it! Good price nonetheless.

With this 520 series drive i hope to see some improvement, and i with the rugged testing and 5yr warranty i no worries.. Plus 180gb vs 60gb for my main drive will stop me from worry about that now :D

um, I think it's safe to say you will see "some improvement" from a OCZ 1st generation 60gb to an intel 520 180 :eek:

If by improvement you mean like going from a ford taurus, to a mcclaron f1 then yes.

images

vs

800px-McLaren_F1_GTR_95_P440_CPJ_Ritz.jpg

Anyone think it's worth cancelling a 180gb 330 (@$100) for this deal (~$140 after tax) - for a 2yr old netbook? (sata II)

Honestly, no, not if it's Sata2. I'm in no way positive it would be a big difference, but I'd save the money since something with Sata2 isn't going to be a speed machine anyway.

Had $50 in reward zone certificates so I had to get one of these for my netbook, too good to pass up at $82 shipped.

Is the 520 that much better than the SF2281 drives that regularly go for a lot less $/GB?

Thing is, Intel got there sandforce controllers mastered.
Thanks. I bit on 2x120's with the Amex $20 off $200. If there are any other fast 120's tomorrow for $70 or less then I'll return the 520's.

Just looked at some benchmarks... Is the 520 really that much better than the 330? It looked like the main area was in incompressible data.

I jumped on the New Egg deal the other day for the 240gb drive at $139. I think I value the extra 60 gigs of space more than I value the performance. I am on SATA3... am I making a mistake?

Hey i am somewhat out of the loop on keeping up with SSD's..I got in really on the 1st gen stuff, OCZ Agility like i mentioned earlier.

Can I use Win8 to just make an image of my drive and just re install that image onto the Intel 520? Or should i do a fresh install on the 520?

If the current OS is installed on an SSD (any SSD) then yes you can just image it over. Alignment and cache settings should already be optimized for SSD.

Just looked at some benchmarks... Is the 520 really that much better than the 330? It looked like the main area was in incompressible data.

I jumped on the New Egg deal the other day for the 240gb drive at $139. I think I value the extra 60 gigs of space more than I value the performance. I am on SATA3... am I making a mistake?

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/589?vs=529

Granted, it's not a 180 GB vs 180 GB drive comparison, but really the difference is the NAND IIRC. One is async vs sync.

My first SSD was an OCZ Vertex (Indillix controller) on a SATA 2 port and I went to a Sandisk Extreme using the SF-2281 controller on a SATA3 port. Most people would probably agree that the SD is a smoking fast drive vs the 1st gen OCZ, but it wasn't like OMFG when I first made the jump. IMO, I don't think you're going to really notice a super huge difference in real world use. If you got 240G for $139 I think that's a better price than $129 for 180.

I have an Intel 120GB 320. My motherboard only has SATA2 support. How much of a determent will the SATA2 support hold me back?

Back