Best Buy, Intel 520 180 gb $129 !

I have an Intel 120GB 320. My motherboard only has SATA2 support. How much of a determent will the SATA2 support hold me back?

noticeable on large sequential read/write but for typical daily use, you wouldn't see the difference.

Nice find, though it is little more than 10 cents perg more. A good option when BB goes OOS for this and even better if you don't pay tax at Amazon but do at BB

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/589?vs=529

Granted, it's not a 180 GB vs 180 GB drive comparison, but really the difference is the NAND IIRC. One is async vs sync.

My first SSD was an OCZ Vertex (Indillix controller) on a SATA 2 port and I went to a Sandisk Extreme using the SF-2281 controller on a SATA3 port. Most people would probably agree that the SD is a smoking fast drive vs the 1st gen OCZ, but it wasn't like OMFG when I first made the jump. IMO, I don't think you're going to really notice a super huge difference in real world use. If you got 240G for $139 I think that's a better price than $129 for 180.

Thanks. I just took a look at the benchmarks, and they match what I read in the AnandTech review of the 240GB 335 (that review also has the 240GB 330, and the 240GB 520 benchmarks).

It seems pretty clear that the 840pro blows everyone else away, but you're talking about paying an extra $100 for that. The newer Intel drives beat the Crucial M4 pretty reliably, and I hope they keep up Intel's reputation for quality. I have a 160 gig X25M G2 in my Macbook Pro that I paid over $500 for when they first came out back in 2009. That thing has been lightning fast and rock solid.

The 330 will go in my desktop machine (that currently has a Velociraptor), and be paired with 2 1.5 TB storage drives. The extra 60 gigs will come in handy installing games. I'm tired of having to uninstall steam games to install new ones.

I think I'll be happy with this. Hopefully the 330 comes with rails, otherwise I'll have to pick up a pair.

Thanks OP! I had to bite on this one (ordered mine online for in-store pickup - gonna get it tonight). So now I need to sell my OCZ 100GB VertexLE SSD...anyone interested? :)

This is a great deal - wish I had the funds (too many gifts still to buy for Christmas!)
But to all of those with Chase cards, Best Buy is 5% this quarter as well so that's an added bonus.
It was nice getting 5% back on two phone upgrades :D

Gonna throw out there that I think it's silly to buy this drive over the cheaper/more spacious intel 330 drives(or the crucial m4, or sandisk extreme for that matter).

Pretending you'd notice a real-world difference between the different drives for gaming/general use is just that - pretending. Even if you want the highest synthetics, then a 520 isn't really your answer. They're simply not the fastest drives on the market.

Just thought I'd remind you all of the facts. The top performing SSD's are not going to enhance your daily experience.

Gonna throw out there that I think it's silly to buy this drive over the cheaper/more spacious intel 330 drives(or the crucial m4, or sandisk extreme for that matter).

Pretending you'd notice a real-world difference between the different drives for gaming/general use is just that - pretending. Even if you want the highest synthetics, then a 520 isn't really your answer. They're simply not the fastest drives on the market.

Just thought I'd remind you all of the facts. The top performing SSD's are not going to enhance your daily experience.

Not sure what you mean by "more spacious Intel 330". Isn't 180GB the largest size 330 available? So the spaciousness is the same.

As for performance, According to Anantech's review, they should be identical between the 330 and 520. The premium paid for the 520 is much better NAND endurance.

I don't mind paying an extra $30 for better endurance. Especially since XtremeSystems showed the write endurance on the 330 wasn't that good (though I'm sure more than enough for desktop users).

Not sure what you mean by "more spacious Intel 330". Isn't 180GB the largest size 330 available? So the spaciousness is the same.

As for performance, According to Anantech's review, they should be identical between the 330 and 520. The premium paid for the 520 is much better NAND endurance.

I don't mind paying an extra $30 for better endurance. Especially since XtremeSystems showed the write endurance on the 330 wasn't that good (though I'm sure more than enough for desktop users).

No, 240GB is the largest 330 size.

No, 240GB is the largest 330 size.

And it's $139 for 240GB:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167127

Only $10 more for an additional 60GB.

Well he did manage to get just over 840 Terabytes written to the 120GB drive before it failed, so that should more than cover most use cases :p And Intel would replace the drive no problem...

Well he did manage to get just over 840 Terabytes written to the 120GB drive before it failed, so that should more than cover most use cases :p And Intel would replace the drive no problem...

The 330 has a 3 year warranty. And the 520 has a 5 year warranty.

In three years we will look at the current SSD drives and laugh.

True... But my three year old Vertex 1 SSD drives are still in use today. They started out in my main desktop, now they've found a home in my laptops. I still be using these SSDs for another couple years.

Just purchased 2 for R.A.I.D. 0....:) Will not have any other hard drives, pur ssd for a Steam Lan box build.

Smart move?????

Just purchased 2 for R.A.I.D. 0....:) Will not have any other hard drives, pur ssd for a Steam Lan box build.

Smart move?????

Hell yes.

Hope you have a 7-series chipset so you can pass TRIM to striped drives.

the 240G is going on lightning sale at the 'zon in 15 mins...

Nice one Amazon. After the Transcend "deal" and this... fool me twice... you can't get fooled again.

Hell yes.

Hope you have a 7-series chipset so you can pass TRIM to striped drives.

Sorry I took so long to get back, checking newegg for 7-series chipsets.....:)

Getting the 3770 from the retail edge in 2 days. This system is going to be silly, right????

Forgot to add I have 2 gigabyte 670's in SLI ready.

Back