Best Buy Holding Disabled Girl's Laptop Hostage

Screw BestBuy. Their products are overpriced, their staff border on retarded, and I hope Amazon and the like contribute to BestBuy having to declare bankruptcy.

I really wish the majority of consumers would realize best buy is like this and STOP SHOPPING THERE!

wtf takes you a month to do on a laptop? I can't think of any circumstance that would yield one month of wait time. Motherboard is broken? Buy a new one from the manufacturer, even slow shipping = 2 weeks.

Hey, why don't we buy her one? I have $5. We can donate it with a big box with worst buy in nice big letters on it. Oh, and a red H of course.

meanwhile-in-soviet-russia.jpg

Which Best Buy store is it? I believe they need to receive a phone call. :mad:

If given a Paypal account or something along those lines I'd gladly donate to the purchase of a new laptop. It's clear they're never getting this one back.

I'll be sure to tell all of my family and friends to never purchase from Best Buy again.

Screw BestBuy. Their products are overpriced, their staff border on retarded, and I hope Amazon and the like contribute to BestBuy having to declare bankruptcy.

Having worked there in sales at one time, they hire their sales associates not based on knowledge but their ability to push extended warranties and accessories. When I put in my application back when I was a kid, they didn't care about my knowledge and simply told me that they need someone who can push warranties. I had trouble keeping a straight face when the manager asked me to pretend that he was a customer and to sell him an ESP, so they stuck me in customer service for several months until they found out that I was outselling even some of the sales associates in extended service plans.

If anyone here still shops at Best Buy, I hope this article is finally the article that makes you reconsider your plans to continue shopping there. I havn't shopped there in a LONG time as I don't reward bad businesses like them.

I can't begin to tell you how much I despise this chain and their practices. I hope this really makes them catch some flak and some major changes take place in the idiot squad.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYk0dQrz3uc"]‪Newegg TV 2011 Commercial # 1‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

Having worked there in sales at one time, they hire their sales associates not based on knowledge but their ability to push extended warranties and accessories. When I put in my application back when I was a kid, they didn't care about my knowledge and simply told me that they need someone who can push warranties. I had trouble keeping a straight face when the manager asked me to pretend that he was a customer and to sell him an ESP, so they stuck me in customer service for several months until they found out that I was outselling even some of the sales associates in extended service plans.

If anyone here still shops at Best Buy, I hope this article is finally the article that makes you reconsider your plans to continue shopping there. I havn't shopped there in a LONG time as I don't reward bad businesses like them.

Dude... this is soooo incredibly true. Never worked there myself but my co-workers taht used to work there were telling me about this. Sad state of affairs.

Wh..what..what???????? I am ashamed to be. just reading this.

Anyone up for starting up a donation fund on paypal for this poor girl becuase this absolute utter bullshit and I want to do something about it.

Wh..what..what???????? I am ashamed to be. just reading this.

Anyone up for starting up a donation fund on paypal for this poor girl becuase this absolute utter bullshit and I want to do something about it.

Yeah I already said we should. I am in for $5. Should be an admin here or something to do it. I would but I don't know if that is a good idea for just a random to do it.

Yeah I already said we should. I am in for $5. Should be an admin here or something to do it. I would but I don't know if that is a good idea for just a random to do it.

Kyle, Steve, somone PLEASE set up a paypal donation account for this poor girl. I feel absolutely so disgusted by this news that I for once absolutely refuse to sit on my ass behind my keyboard and not do something. This news is a just a travesty of human behavior and for I think the very first time in my shy, quiet keyboard warrior way of life, I won't stand for it.

Another reason to ignore that store...greed is so rampant it makes me sick...can you hear us? Best Buy?...Can you hear us Netflix? the list goes on.

I guess I should feel some kind of surprise or emotion but I really don't.

Best Buy screwing over a consumer? That sounds like the same rerun I've been every month or so for the past decade.

Kyle, Steve, somone PLEASE set up a paypal donation account for this poor girl. I feel absolutely so disgusted by this news that I for once absolutely refuse to sit on my ass behind my keyboard and not do something. This news is a just a travesty of human behavior and for I think the very first time in my shy, quiet keyboard warrior way of life, I won't stand for it.

Agreed, please set one up (Kyle / Steve)

When enough funds are accumulated, get it in the news and all the blogs/tweats/whatnot , that we would much rather give money to a stranger then spend a penny in Best Buy.

Not only is this complete dbaggery of the highest order it is also illegal. She took it in before the warranty expired so the repair is covered. Hope some lawyer willing to give their time for free will help this girl sue their ass.

Which Best Buy store is it? I believe they need to receive a phone call. :mad:

Nah, go straight to the top, head office. That's how I always get satisfaction when some sales dweeb at a store pisses me off.

I don't understand why anyone would buy from BB in the first place. They're pricing and customer service is one big joke. HP may do something about it as well if they contacted them about it again.
HP has terrible customer service too.

Best Buy Corporate Office | Headquarters
7601 Penn Ave. South Richfield, MN 55423
(612) 291-1000

Where the hell is this BB located? I'm making a call to corporate BB tomorroo morning and I won't be jolly with them on the phone.

She should just go to NBC Nightly News with her story, pretty sure Best Buy will give her a brand new laptop then.

"When I dropped this fucking laptop off, it was under warranty. Give me my shit before I fucking flip." :mad:

It was their own fault and everybody else's for ever buying anything from Bestbuy. Bestbuy is a company that has long deserved to go under but strangely people still continue to shop there. Of course buying the BB extended warranty is beyond stupid. Maybe with more stories like this getting out they can finally close their doors for good.

It was their own fault and everybody else's for ever buying anything from Bestbuy. Bestbuy is a company that has long deserved to go under but strangely people still continue to shop there. Of course buying the BB extended warranty is beyond stupid. Maybe with more stories like this getting out they can finally close their doors for good.

Sometimes, in some situations, a person may simply not have any alternative solutions when making a specific type of purchase. Best Buy might have been the only option in that girl's case - someone might have given her a big prepaid Best Buy gift card, who knows.

It'll all work out in the end I'm sure: she'll get a better laptop than she had, Best Buy will apologize profusely, and this will disappear into the cracks soon enough as I already pointed out.

I for one am not even remotely surprised.

Best Buy has a lot of problems anyway -- the only way they can even make money is by selling you extended warranties anyway -- and that's the least of their problems. Circumstances have led to a company locked in mortal combat against its own customers, and as a result, you get stories like this.

A friend of mine asked me to fix her laptop -- she had taken it to Best Buy for repairs. When they put it back together they left off the IDE HDD pin to bus connector. She couldn't figure out why her computer couldn't boot. God only knows why GeekSquad thought it'd be a good idea to give her laptop back to her like that -- non operational. That was years ago. I'm not even sure how Best Buy is even still in business anyway. If I wanted to be properly raped by a retail store, I'd probably prefer to get a train run on me by the Apple store. At least the floors are clean there.

Read the link, and it's the AC adapter they are trying to charge her for. Very possible that BB's extended warranty doesn't cover the AC adapter. We also only have the complainant's word that the adapter was fine when they gave it to BB.

Here's another scenario than the one put forth by the customer.

Customer drops off computer for service. They only take the computer and no accessories (Battery/adapter). Common practice, because those things can get lost and a shop wouldn't need them to fix the computer. The shop tests the computer and no problem found. Trouble shooting "no problem" can be very time consuming. You have to stress the machine every way you can to try and make it puke. They send it back to the best buy store. The customer service rep says no trouble was found with the computer, and after further discussion with the customer decides it could be either the battery or the AC adapter and has her bring those in. Off to the shop again. This time they find the AC adapter is faulty. Here's where the opening of my post comes in. Most extended warranties don't cover the accessories. They don't cover batteries, AC adapters, cases, etc... If in fact the BB warranty does, and it's as they say, "only because the warranty has expired now", then truly shame on BB. I've worked for many retailers though (never BB) and I've never seen one treat a customer like is claimed in the story. I'm not saying that the customer doesn't feel victimized either. I've seen plenty of customers think they are right and being treated unfairly, simply because they refuse to take in all of the facts.

People bring us HP laptops (Or Acer or Toshiba, etc) and we try and get warranty if they are even a week of or so. Most often, the company will accept it, or we'll tell them it was brought in before the date. (I do not work for best buy or anything like that, we are just HP Authorized) HP is very quick in doing warranty work. At least in Canada.

Read the link, and it's the AC adapter they are trying to charge her for. Very possible that BB's extended warranty doesn't cover the AC adapter. We also only have the complainant's word that the adapter was fine when they gave it to BB.

Here's another scenario than the one put forth by the customer.

Customer drops off computer for service. They only take the computer and no accessories (Battery/adapter). Common practice, because those things can get lost and a shop wouldn't need them to fix the computer. The shop tests the computer and no problem found. Trouble shooting "no problem" can be very time consuming. You have to stress the machine every way you can to try and make it puke. They send it back to the best buy store. The customer service rep says no trouble was found with the computer, and after further discussion with the customer decides it could be either the battery or the AC adapter and has her bring those in. Off to the shop again. This time they find the AC adapter is faulty. Here's where the opening of my post comes in. Most extended warranties don't cover the accessories. They don't cover batteries, AC adapters, cases, etc... If in fact the BB warranty does, and it's as they say, "only because the warranty has expired now", then truly shame on BB. I've worked for many retailers though (never BB) and I've never seen one treat a customer like is claimed in the story. I'm not saying that the customer doesn't feel victimized either. I've seen plenty of customers think they are right and being treated unfairly, simply because they refuse to take in all of the facts.

That's why you ALWAYS HAVE THEM BRING IN THE ADAPTER. We always make them bring it in. Especially when the description is, oh, I don't know, no power, not charging, etc. Dumbasses like BB are what pay my salary.

That's why you ALWAYS HAVE THEM BRING IN THE ADAPTER. We always make them bring it in. Especially when the description is, oh, I don't know, no power, not charging, etc. Dumbasses like BB are what pay my salary.

Did you read the link? The customer's story doesn't make sense.

I swear there must be two Best Buys: the regular BB and their evil twin. I've never had a problem with any of my experiences with them. These include: buying a TV, buying a laptop, buying Apple stuff, getting said Apple stuff replaced under Geek Squad plan, buying several mobile phones, getting one of said phones replaced under Geek Squad plan, and shipping laptop to manufacturer for warranty service through Geek Squad*, getting a $50 gift card when I expressed concerns to the manager about security procedures that didn't even affect me.

Not only did I never have a problem receiving the services I paid for; the employees were always very courteous. Why other people have such horrible experiences is beyond me. Perhaps there are a vast regional variances in customer service.

*the second time I did this (ASUS laptops suck), the coverage was denied due to liquid damage, but (1) this was the decision of ASUS, not BB, and (2) they were technically right, though I seriously doubt the liquid exposure was the actual cause of my problem.

^In retrospect I wish I had gotten Black Tie on my laptop as well. I'm fully confident they would have replaced it without issue.

Back