Best buy HD 558 89$

HD 598 open and closed backs seem to constantly go on sale for around this price and they're better headphones.

These are my daily use headphones. While I have several pair, these are a bit more than my favs I think. Just really great sound and comfort. Cheap enough at the $99 I paid for them that I don't have to baby them which I really like.

As far as fit are the 598's better? I tried the 558's for a few gaming hours last night I'm not happy with them little tight on the head.

My 598SE is the most comfortable headphone I own. I forget it's on. Not sure if the closed backs fit differently. I have a large head and I don't notice any clamping pressure. Compared to my V Moda's and DT770, which have a much tighter clamp and for extended periods can get a little uncomfortable.

those are closed back though, so smaller soundstage for games. not sure how they compare since it's not really apples to apples

Correct on sound stage and not comparable to the open eared 558's.

However devils advocate: Gamers using mechanical keyboards and high resistance mice with loud "click click click" in gaming sessions, some opt for closed ear to isolate that noise or their surroundings.

I use open ear HD 600's for generally everything but then switch to HD 280 pros for gaming or when noise is around me. HD 280's because of personal usage experience, not saying it's what you should get versus the 5xx class.

Back