Best Buy Feels the Pressure of Rivals on the Web

Every now and again I will stroll through a BB to just kill some time and look at the new televisions. Once in a while I will see some elderly person about to get hamstrung and I will explain to him/her how to get something better and/or cheaper. I will also randomly educate people on monster hdmi cables :) I feel as if i'm doing the modern day equivalent of helping the elderly cross the street.

Seriously? Learn to think.

Boy oh boy. My opinions are based on a lot of experience.
Online retailing will surpass brick and mortar stores and there is no looking back.
The only holding this back is many people are afraid to shop online because of identity theft, etc. Also there are a lot of less than reputable online retails. They have given online shopping a black eye. If you stick with the ones that have earned a great reputation, you should be find in that regard.
But what I really think is that retail store for electronics will survive in a much different form. That will be electronics stores that cater to the big money crowd. Such stores will carry high end TVs and high end audio gear and not every little piece of crap on the market. There is actually a few of those around. Their customers typical pull down 6 figures and avoid places like Best Buy because of the hassle. They go in and say "I want that, one of those, and wanted them installed/delivered at this date and time". It is 100% white glove customer service. The prices are high, but it is the upper end models for rich people. The sales people there dress nice and have been to factory sponsored sales training to understand technical details and how to make components work together.
The store and subcontractor that does the installs 100% handle the merchandise. The customer doesn't have to touch it unless they want to. You can imagine they have little to no problem with things getting broken.

I don't normally shop there but certain things are just worth buying B&M because you don't pay shipping, which usually makes the price pretty close with the online price, you can get it NOW, and you can return it easily.

you complain about 15 dollar usb cables but if you needed something this instant, then you pay the price and move on. If you can wait 3+ days then get it online. Like others, I would never buy a huge ass TV online only because if there is an issue, I do not want to go through RMA BS to get a new one.

I love how everyone uses the phrase "get taken" when it comes to PC services. Ever call a plumber before or an auto mechanic? Did you get taken? Just because computer work is clean does not mean that it isn't worth a dime. Many of you work in the PC industry and I am sure your employer pays you.

There obviously is a market or Best Buy wouldn't have done well all these years.

I used to have such respect for this forum, but lately all I see is some pretty stupid people flooding the boards. Maybe it is just particular section of the board as I have been helped by a few good users when I needed it.

Sometimes I think God created the whole universe just for me, to test and refine me. God couldn't do that without legions of reason-challenged and morality-challenged people created just for my benefit.

maybe that will pressure them to stop charging retail to the max. They're such a crappy store. I'm all for Best Buy closing and Microcenter taking its place LOL

I understand that it's more expensive to be a B&M retailer, and those costs need to be passed on as part of the convenience of "getting things now" versus waiting for shippping.
But come on, $26.99 for a cheap dynex USB cable, when I can buy one online for $1.99. I can see something like $4.99 or whatever a B&M, but $26.99, seriously?
I don't hold any sympathy for them when they are going for obnoxious price gouging.

I had a video project that was coming due, and I put it off to the last minute because it was a pretty straight forward deal. It wasn't going to take a whole lot of time. Capture the video, a few edits and render the thing out, burn to DVD. Done.
So start getting stuff together on a Saturday afternoon and I cannot locate my firewire cable. I start turning the house upside down. GONE!~
I get in the car start checking local store I figure I can probably get one for $12 or so and I'm back in business. The CHEAPEST I find a firewire cable it is $29.95. Seriously, this is a $6 cable. I know the store only pays a couple bux for it wholesale. I have to fork over the cash because I have no choice.
I wasted most of an afternoon driving all over town trying my best not to get ripped off.
I said then I will NEVER waste my time and money like this again. And I have not purchased any electronics or related accessories locally since. I buy everything online. The only thing it cost me it a bit of planning ahead so I have things before I need them.

I had a video project that was coming due, and I put it off to the last minute because it was a pretty straight forward deal. It wasn't going to take a whole lot of time. Capture the video, a few edits and render the thing out, burn to DVD. Done.
So start getting stuff together on a Saturday afternoon and I cannot locate my firewire cable. I start turning the house upside down. GONE!~
I get in the car start checking local store I figure I can probably get one for $12 or so and I'm back in business. The CHEAPEST I find a firewire cable it is $29.95. Seriously, this is a $6 cable. I know the store only pays a couple bux for it wholesale. I have to fork over the cash because I have no choice.
I wasted most of an afternoon driving all over town trying my best not to get ripped off.
I said then I will NEVER waste my time and money like this again. And I have not purchased any electronics or related accessories locally since. I buy everything online. The only thing it cost me it a bit of planning ahead so I have things before I need them.

Wow so the local stores bailed you out of a jam and by God, you'll never go back.

Wow so the local stores bailed you out of a jam and by God, you'll never go back.

The company I use to work for sold the same type stuff, I know what stores pay for it. $2 for (or less by volume) for a fancy looking cable in a blister pack. I don't expect to pay $2.99 for it. Or even $6.00. $12.00 would be a 500% markup and I don't that unreasonable.
But $29.95???? That is a 1500% markup. On top of that you pay inflated TAX on top of that inflated price. That is highway robbery in anyones book.
So YES. I was insulted and pissed off to he point I totally changed my buying habits.
And if that is DOING me a favor like rubbing salt in road rash is making you feel better. No thanks.

I don't mind paying a bit of a premium locally, but Best Buy takes it to the extreme.

I have a feeling that their profit margin is falling simply because, 1, TVs haven't been big sellers this year and 2, the customer is getting quite a bit more educated on what a fair price is.

We now are blaming Best Buy for collecting sales tax now? This thread is almost self defeating.

We now are blaming Best Buy for collecting sales tax now? This thread is almost self defeating.

You haven't been following this thread have you?

Yes, Best Buy is to blame for taxes. They are also the cause of cancer, and world hunger as well. /sarcasm

my grandpa and my self got F over on them so they can Burn in Hell

They need to put a Microcenter In Toledo on Morone Street, by the fraklin park mall they would get so much money i bet Microcenter would run BB to the ground = /

The only thing ive used best buy for is to sound test surround sound/look at tv's before i buy elsewhere. sometimes ill go there if im in a bind for small things, like thermal paste/fans and stuff, but never anything else.

Most B&Ms are horrible compared to online counterparts.

When, I need electronics or computer parts I can drive 5 minutes to Best Buy, or 25 minutes to Frys. Guess which one I go to?

However lately, whenever I go to Frys, it seems like every product box:

A. Looks like it was used in the backroom for an impromptu game of football.
-or-
B. Has a "This Product has been returned" sticker on it.

So, I have been learning to be more patient, and accepting the "3-day free shipping" options from Newegg, Tiger, and ZZF.

Back