best buy employees.. discounts ?

Emret

Limp Gawd
A friend of mine will start working @ bestbuy in few weeks.. I was wondering if I should wait for him to start working to get a video card

Can a new employee get discount on video cards and stuff ? Also what is the employee discount for, lets say BFG 6800GT ?

If any best buy employees around, your comment would be much appreciated

At Circuit City you've got be working for at least 30 days before you're entitled to the employee discount.

Back when i labored fir satan (BB), it was 30 days before getting a discount. However, things might have changed. Was several years back when i was getting my undergrad degree. The discount on computer hardware sucked. It might be different on highend video cards though. Use his discount on car audio, that is marked up a whole lot. Also service plans are usually pennies on the dollar.

Last I checked, which was about a week ago, none of the nvidia cards had cost posted on them. X800 pro is 330 and the xt did not have cost posted. I just quit though, but I did get my x800 before I got out.

Typically the product has to be "In store" and "active" for 2-3 weeks before EPPI shows cost.

What kind of discount do employees at best buy (circuit city, compussr) get?

They must have changed it since last October....since I recieved cost +5%.

Anyway, if you get hired on as part-time seasonal help at BestBuy during the Christmas holiday, you get the discount as soon as you start.

Tiny said:
They must have changed it since last October....since I recieved cost +5%.

Anyway, if you get hired on as part-time seasonal help at BestBuy during the Christmas holiday, you get the discount as soon as you start.

I did that like a year ago. Started for christmas or something. Maybe a month before. Well they didn't give me the discount till like 60 days or something. And at that time it was cost + 5%.

How bout CompUSA ? is it still cost + %something ??

also can an employee buy more than 1 of the same card ?

you could probably get a better deal online... and besides, he has to wait like 30 days to get the discount, and it its' anything like the store i used to work at... 20% below retail or 10% above cost (whichever is cheaper) is the discount...

i always found it cheaper to buy online, save the tax.. get free shipping and call it a day.

I started in October and it takes 30 days for the discount to come into affect. Also at BB the discount is cost + 5%. The Geforce 6800GT OC and x800 pro were both about $310 for employees, but I have yet to see either in the store or coming anytime soon. I went ahead and ordered one online and I'm going to return it to the store when I get it, then buy it again on discount. I looked for the 6800 Ultra and couldn't find any refrence to it in the register which tells you what your discount is. From what I've seen do far it looks like the Ultra will only be available online and in a few select stores, probably because they don't sell that well to the general public.

CompUSA (when I worked there) was cost.
Discount was 30 day delay, but they usually waived the delay.

emret,, discounts all vary at bestbuy... sometimes they are good and sometimes awefull and if they items are on sale they get nothign.. my bro works there and u have to wait like 30 days for the discount to work.. and they are pretty strict about it.. u pretty much will have to give him the cash to buy it... but then again umight get a good discount compared to online... but it already is a lil more expensive there then online

You guys mean he has to WORK there for 30 days to get the discount, or even after he is eligible for discount after sometime, it comes to an effect in 30 days delay ?

I believe it's 30 days after he starts working. If its a few small things he can probably get someone he works with to use their discount, but that depends on who he works with and how he gets along with them.

I do reccomend buying a shit load of cables and such with the discount. you can get a $20 set of USB cables for about $2. Great to have around when you need them.

The things that are best to buy at cost are probly all the accessories. I've seen photopaper that cost me .45 cents but was 10 dollars retail :eek:. Checking out some hyper-x ram and a video card it ends up being only about 5 dollars cheaper compared to retail... Hell, newegg.com had a harddrive with shipping and everthing included for less than what it was at cost without tax!

The great stuff is defently the partnerships with other companies to let us try out their products for cheap, such as 65% off polk stuff :) .

As for the bfg, it probly will be hardly anything off... and probly cheaper to just go online and get it without tax.

Back