Best Buy Cutting 30-Day Return Policy In Half?

HardOCP News

[H] News
You can almost hear the execs at Best Buy HQ right now...."The latest numbers show we are steadily hemorrhaging customers. Anyone have a good idea for getting more people to shop with us? What's that you say? Cut our 30-day return policy in half? That's GENIUS!!!" :rolleyes:

We’ve now heard from two separate sources at Best Buy that the electronics retailer is going to cut its existing 30-day return policy in half to only 15 days. According to one source, this policy change is going to go into effect on March 3.

Haven't been in a Best Buy in a very long time.

They are fail and full of non-deals. Full blow retail with tax with idiot employees.

They just need to hurry up and die.

I would imagine this is to cut down on people "renting" cameras and other electronics.

I never spend enough money on anything there to make it worth returning. Die, BB...die.

They need to stay afloat for 5 more years so my tv (that my gf picked up for me) still has a warranty.

Oh Best Buy. I’ve always found their biggest problem to be misplaced staff priorities. Their staff will swarm you to help you find an alphabetized DVD but are nowhere to be found if you want to buy anything that costs 10x as much. My wife couldn’t get any of the 10 employees on the floor to get her a Surface from the back...because they were too busy patrolling the empty CD aisles or pitching which $10 iPhone screen protectors were the best.

Makes me miss the guys on commission at Circuit City. If you wanted a TV or stereo equipment they’d treat you like a king.

Lol. Management must be on a short sale frenzy. Why else would do such an idiotic manuever?

Oh Best Buy. I’ve always found their biggest problem to be misplaced staff priorities. Their staff will swarm you to help you find an alphabetized DVD but are nowhere to be found if you want to buy anything that costs 10x as much. My wife couldn’t get any of the 10 employees on the floor to get her a Surface from the back...because they were too busy patrolling the empty CD aisles or pitching which $10 iPhone screen protectors were the best.

Makes me miss the guys on commission at Circuit City. If you wanted a TV or stereo equipment they’d treat you like a king.

Better margins on the screen protectors. They probably make $9 on the protector, and about the same amount on a $99 blu-ray player. Hell, some people might buy a $15 cable with that too! Expensive items don't have margins like they used to, so they focus on selling crap.

Oh Best Buy. I’ve always found their biggest problem to be misplaced staff priorities. Their staff will swarm you to help you find an alphabetized DVD but are nowhere to be found if you want to buy anything that costs 10x as much.

Their DVD hunting skills are necessary. I have no goddamned idea how they arrange DVDs and BluRays at my local Best Buy, but it's definitely not alphabetical. It's like decrypting the Rosetta Stone.

Better margins on the screen protectors. They probably make $9 on the protector, and about the same amount on a $99 blu-ray player. Hell, some people might buy a $15 cable with that too! Expensive items don't have margins like they used to, so they focus on selling crap.

So true... I worked at best buy about 12 years ago while in school and they really wanted us to pump the accessories. Back then it was you have to get a super expensive surge protector for your pc. Oh and they made us pitch the bb service plan on everything. Buying a $100 monitor? Oh well you should get a $50 service plan for that incase it breaks...

F best buy, they dug their own grave, now they just need to get in it and let amazon, target, walmart, etc bury them.

Their DVD hunting skills are necessary. I have no goddamned idea how they arrange DVDs and BluRays at my local Best Buy, but it's definitely not alphabetical. It's like decrypting the Rosetta Stone.

Ain't that the truth!

Mine doesn't even have a useable new-releases shelf any more.

Stuff on sale? No rack. Have to look for the frickin' little yellow tags.

I would imagine this is to cut down on people "renting" cameras and other electronics.

They have a separate return policy for laptops, cameras and camcorders (the kind of things that people "buy" for a vacation and then "return" when they get back)

Damn, now I'm going to have to decide whether to return my purchases 0 days sooner than before the policy change.

I went into Best Buy last weekend because I received a $25 gift card this past xmas. I walked out about 45 minutes later with the same gift card. I wasn't looking for anything particular so I was going to get a couple spare hdmi cables. Well the cheapest one was $20 before taxes and I thought if I actually checked out they might try and push a $10 warranty or something on it on it in case it gets damaged. Shit is just too expensive and not worth the hassle. Will just give it to my boy to buy some $5 on sale movies...

LMAO I would have to agree on this one. It never fails on the few times I'm in there whenever I go "You know what since I'm here and refuse to pay these prices why don't I at least look over their DVD's/BD's?" Every single time I end up looking at four rows of stuff and thinking to myself "Who the fuck arranged these?"

BB used to have 14 day return, then they extended to 30, now they're going back.

Must be too many people returning laptops 30 days later, leaving BB to hold a bag of used shit

BB used to have 14 day return, then they extended to 30, now they're going back.

Must be too many people returning laptops 30 days later, leaving BB to hold a bag of used shit

When was this? They had 14 day on specific items but 30 for most. Been that way as long as i can remember.

This brings me to what happened to me two days ago. At work we have a BB that's close and sometimes I will need something at the last minute so on occasion I will go there. Well, I was looking for a Molex to SATA power cable and noticed that beside the empty rack of what would have been my cable they had a 12" SATA data cable for TWENTY DOLLARS!

I damn near fell over. I'm looking at the box and thinking, "Maybe there's two in there?" I turned the box over thinking that maybe there was a Mini SAS to SATA fanout cable taped to the back of the box that would make this $20 purchase sensible. But no it was just a single cable....all by itself....for $20.

Maybe they shortened the return policy because people were figuring out that their expensive crap can be had virtually anywhere else for 75% less.

They will go out of business in 15 days so they are just making sure you get yourself taken care of in time.

When was this? They had 14 day on specific items but 30 for most. Been that way as long as i can remember.

Changed to that sometime earlier last year. I guess it didn't help increase sales only more open box items...

As others stated, they used to only have 15 days anyways. They are just reverting back to their old policy. Not that big of an issue. Its still 15 days. Should be plenty of time to make a decision on an item.

To be honest, I do feel some sympathy for retailers sometimes. Some people are fucking ruthless when it comes to returns.

If I owned best buy I would have a no return policy to keep all the loosers away that like to buy something use it; return it and buy it again over and over and over.

Dont matter to me anyways, I rarely return anything. If I do its usually a within a week.

I think 15 days is plenty of time to decide if you still want an item.

For once Im on Best Buy's side this time. Which is rare.

The other change most people are missing is that Best Buy is dropping its price matching post purchase. Currently if you find something cheaper 30 days after purchase they will give you the difference back. That's going away.

Just another nail in the coffin.
Good freaking riddance, BB.

explain to me how bestbuy is failing and hhgregs are poping up all over the place

They are just adjusting with the time the ink on the receipt last before it fades away...

Back