Best Buy CEO: We're Not The Authority In Electronics Anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not faulting them, It's obviously legal. It's just a shitty, immoral, creepy, dirty ass thing to do. I guess the same can be said for most in sales. Best Buy is particularly sleazy though. $99 for recovery disks? LOL, That's like selling air.

How is it shitty, immoral, creepy, dirty ass thing to do? Not everyone is an [H] member. Some people really don't know anything about computers and don't care what it costs to make them work, as long as they work. For the people, who feel like they got screwed on buying a service they didn't need, then that is their fault for not saying no to it.

You don't have to be computer savvy to say no to something you don't need.

Uh, you have to be computer savvy to know that you don't need something when a supposedly computer savvy sales representative convinces you that it is?

Professionals (and pseudo-professionals) have been selling snake oil to unwitting for centuries because they know that a human being cannot possibly know everything.

my last post should read "to unwitting customers for centuries".

How is it shitty, immoral, creepy, dirty ass thing to do? Not everyone is an [H] member. Some people really don't know anything about computers and don't care what it costs to make them work, as long as they work. For the people, who feel like they got screwed on buying a service they didn't need, then that is their fault for not saying no to it.

Exploiting people due to their ignorance is so much easier when you can rationalize it.

Nice and cheap HDTVs eh? I got a 42" GT25(pany plasma) for $750 off Amazon with free white-glove shipping. Even better is that a pany plasma is the best HDTV you can get for gaming. You'd be hard-pressed to beat it's 20ms input lag let alone that you have full post-processing with that input lag. Then you go on to deep blacks, and oh, right, the THX preset which is basically a factory color calibration so you're not stuck with hiring a professional to calibrate your HDTV so it no longer looks oversaturated and you can watch films and play games as they were meant to be viewed. Did I mention it was shipped and setup in my house for free?

What's even better is that the first unit has some color banding on the right, so I had a replacement shipped and the white-glove service setup the new one and took the defective one away. This one had 3 dead pixels, so I had that one replaced as well. No hassles whatsoever. I call AZ up and explain my dismay wondering what their return policy would be like if the 3rd unit had some defect I couldn't stand as well and you know what they did? Instead of BSing me, instead of 'let me talk to my manager' they offered a $50 discount on my purchase assuming I'd keep the 3rd set. It arrived, it some some minor banding issues, but after breaking it in it'd get toned down.

The irony of this story is that I originally bought an HDTV from BB, and to make a long story short, it got returned due to intolerable input lag and my research, aided by the one BB rep that had a clue, led to pany plasmas and the GT25, but, lo and behold BB no longer stocked the GT25, they only had the ST25, which was priced HIGHER than the GT25 on AZ. lololol

So please, don't advise people to buy HDTVs from BB, especially gamers. Only one out of the several BB reps I talked to didn't try to sell me a Samsung or LG, which are arguably the worst displays to buy for gaming.

So you didn't do your research bought a cheap crappy tv then bought a panny gt(great tv) and are surprised there was a quality difference???

Just had to chime in that you clearly have no idea what you are talking about. Spend a couple minutes over at avsforums before you make blanket statements about tv brands. It's not that BB doesn't carry 'gaming' tv's you just bought the wrong damn tv because you didn't do your research.

So you didn't do your research bought a cheap crappy tv then bought a panny gt(great tv) and are surprised there was a quality difference???

Just had to chime in that you clearly have no idea what you are talking about. Spend a couple minutes over at avsforums before you make blanket statements about tv brands. It's not that BB doesn't carry 'gaming' tv's you just bought the wrong damn tv because you didn't do your research.

lol, lol lol lol. I bought a $1400 Samsung LED, which has terrible input lag, as most Samsungs do. Even in it's game mode it's lacking. Just lols. I spent countless hours on the avs forums as well as shuriken trying to find an LCD hdtv which offered what I wanted. My surprise to this debacle is in regards to the extent, to the proliferation of displays which have very high frame buffers and even in game mode have lacking performance. Nearly every single display from every single manufacturer has frame buffers as high or higher than a ping to a server. Couple that with the internal latencies of shooters on a console, even CoD, and having 40ms+ of input lag was beyond my personal tastes. I thought about getting a Sharp with their Vyper drive but the PQ is just too terrible.

There's very little information concerning input lag for displays. What information there is points to wide-spread almost universal high frame buffers for HDTVs. Samsungs are noted for being among them, as are LGs. Blanket statements. lol. LG had a lottery with their panels where some would be S-IPS and others would be S-PVA for the same model based upon the serial number detailing which factory it came from. So, yes, Samsungs and LGs are completely hit and miss for displays in regards to gaming. To my friends I only recommend Sharps due to their Vyper drive or Pany Plasmas due to the increasing variance in performance between game modes in models from the same year of production, performance that can vary even based upon which factory produced the panel ffs.

Blanket statements. lol. My statement is so true it's not even funny. The idea that I and not you lack information on this subject is rather entertaining. Did you know that MLG doesn't use HDTVs at their events? They use PC monitors, specific PC monitors, with input lag below 20ms. You'd be hard-pressed to find any LCD HDTV with that latency let alone one which didn't have some sort of artifacts which interfere with player performance while in a game mode which would allow those latencies. In fact, players who go to events will laugh at players who play Game Battles which do not play on a monitor.

Any way you slice it for gaming LCD HDTVs are crap. Barring the Toshiba models which used Cell processors to power through post-processing, but those cost 3k+.

That Census Bureau report may be kind of close but it's without doubt flawed. First, mixed babies while being 50% white (included in Spanish, African American, Asian births, etc) are not included as white. Well, they should not be included as Spanish, African American, and Asian either. Example: Obama is not black, he's of mixed race(s). He's half black, half white (leaving out the the specific African tribes and other white ancestry details I don't know about as of right now).

Also, you have this

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/opinion/opedcolumnists/post_racial_america_3VhHxt5IWCL0Yd1SDwCziM

Again, I'm not saying it's way off but it's definitely skewed.

Also, I find this racist. So...we whites still rule the world (evil laugh)! How do you like them apples. J/K. :D. Seriously though, the whole world is becoming a melting pot so I'd say a lot of different ethnic groups days are becoming numbered. That said, I'm sure you'll find a lot more people in the world from European descent than one might initially think (ex: Brazil). We may go, but we all may go!

Good job dissecting the numbers and finding the truth. The mainstream news doesn't do that kind of critical analysis. A headline like "whites are now the minority!" is better than the truth when your goal is to get ratings.

Let me explain my response to cheapo. I was only writing that white people's days are numbered because he was making bigoted remarks. Take my statements in context please. We're all a part of one race, the human race, we all want to live in clean/safe neighborhoods, we all want our property rights to be respected, we all want to work, get an education, and have access to medical care.

Everything else we have in common beyond that is the icing on the cake.

Alright man, you run with it. We all have different morals. You could extend that argument pretty much as far as you wanted, apply it to any situation, but ultimately most of us know deep down what's right and what's not.

No, but I think Cheapo might be yours? Do you have 2 accounts so you can spout racist nonsense with one and then claim what you did is "trolling" using the other?

Okay, sorry, I just had to make sure you honestly thought that Cheapo was a hive mind, considering you're referring to him as 'they' and unless I missed something he is the only one is this thread whose been 'spouting' racism. I also had to be sure you were seriouz. I couldn't be sure you were actually seriouz, you see, as I expected someone who had been told about a troll to reread some things to check if he was indeed a troll. I think most of the guys here did that and then finally understood what was going on. What between the memes, the intentional spelling error(e.t.c lols) and then going on about teh whitez es ritez while stating he is, in fact, not actually white I honestly thought the only way someone could believe this behavior, upon closer inspection, could be anything but trolling would either have to have some sort of conclusive proof detailing otherwise.

Maybe I'm wrong though. I admit. I could be wrong. Not everyone who enjoys cool stories is trolling. Cheapo could just be Asian, and we all know how racists Asians are.

Cheapo, are you genuinely Asian?

The only stuff I ever buy from Best Buy are games and television shows on DVD.

Lately, the selection in both of those areas has taken a dramatic downturn. I wander through there on my lunch breaks a few times a month and walk out with a purchase maybe 1 out of 10 trips.

Thank god for Fry's, even if it is a $5 drive round trip, it's still worth it.

Seriously? :mad:

No, not seriouzly. But, seriouzly, I've run out of butter for my popcorn, which is lame, and so are people who are all so seriouz that they can't spot trollols or sarcasm, jokes, subtlety, and, dare I say it, even Waldo.

btw, bro, Umad?

No, not seriouzly. But, seriouzly, I've run out of butter for my popcorn, which is lame, and so are people who are all so seriouz that they can't spot trollols or sarcasm, jokes, subtlety, and, dare I say it, even Waldo.

btw, bro, Umad?

That's a pretty silly attempt to mix wit with a tired meme.

the article mentions that they are trying to launch a Geek Squad service for AARP members

:confused:

Best buy are way to expensive and wont compete with online venders like newegg or amazon. i would rather go threw newegg since they are cheaper and i dont have to pay tax!! hell even walmart is better with electronics than best buy and thats sad!!!

Best buy occasionally has a great deal, like 2 weeks ago I was able to pickup some 7200 3TB drives for 160 when they were 240 on Newegg or Amazon. I also have taken advantage of their 3yr financing on TVs a few times and have never paid any finance charges since I get it paid off in time.

For the most part though, the only reason to visit there is to look at stuff to buy online.

I know it's an election year an everything, but why has everything in here turned either racial or political in the last few days? Let's try to keep things on topic, huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back