Best Buy CEO: We're Not The Authority In Electronics Anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Their biggest problem is a lack of brand and logo recognition. They haven't been able to get the word out that their stores exist. They should start running ads on MySpace so that people become aware of them and know what they sell.

I want to hug you.

The market shifted in the past 5 or 10 years and these stores are simply too large, filled with too many worthless staff, and offer too much crap their intended customer base doesn't need or want. They remind me largely of Barnes and Noble and Books-A-Million in these regards.
The problem is that before the powers that be in these places even realize there IS a problem, the companies are shutting stores.
There will be book stores and electronics stores in the near future, but they won't resemble the current gargantuan incarnations.

frys is better anyway and they pricematch amazon

If you're going to disparage other race on the misuse of the English language, at least show that you're *ahem* superior than they. Capitalize and put an apostrophe on Fry's. Price-match is hyphenated. Amazon is likewise capitalized.

Actually no, why don't you just shut the fuck up, period.

If you're going to disparage other race on the misuse of the English language, at least show that you're *ahem* superior than they. Capitalize and put an apostrophe on Fry's. Price-match is hyphenated. Amazon is likewise capitalized.

Actually no, why don't you just shut the fuck up, period.

cool story bro

BestBuy never impressed me.
Almost always over priced.
Wrong products for computers.
Poor sales people.
Computer Service horror stories.

BestBuy never impressed me.
Almost always over priced.
Wrong products for computers.
Poor sales people.
Computer Service horror stories.

+1! I only go to best buy when there is a really nice deal or when I find out I absolutely must need an item the day before I leave for vacation

I'd glad to buy stuff at my local stores if and only if they price match online retailers and improve their customers service/ return exchange service. I rather pay taxes and have it now than waiting for shipping. I went to a local bb here in Socal last week to have them price match a razer keyboard (newegg have them on sale for $96 and after tax+ shipping =$110). I'm willing to pay after tax and shipping price but the manager said no so i left and picked up that keyboard the next day @ newegg. It's only $17 difference but they lost their potential customer.

It's called informed shoppers buying at reputable on-line stores getting better prices and information on the intertubes...sheesh!

because you try to sell stupid people HDMI cables for $2,000 you fucking pieces of shit

cool story bro

g1335996738903641472.jpg

The only time I find Best Buy close to useful is on Black Friday when I can snag some crazy deals.

Other than that... There's NewEgg.

I do wish there was a Fry's in my area, though. My part of the Bay misses out on all the fun :(

BTW non-white births now make up the majority of newborns in America. Your days are numbered.

That Census Bureau report may be kind of close but it's without doubt flawed. First, mixed babies while being 50% white (included in Spanish, African American, Asian births, etc) are not included as white. Well, they should not be included as Spanish, African American, and Asian either. Example: Obama is not black, he's of mixed race(s). He's half black, half white (leaving out the the specific African tribes and other white ancestry details I don't know about as of right now).

Also, you have this

These categories aren’t quite as clear-cut as advertised. About half of Hispanics identify their race as white on the Census.
About 36 percent of Asian-American women marry someone of another race.
http://www.nypost.com/p/news/opinion/opedcolumnists/post_racial_america_3VhHxt5IWCL0Yd1SDwCziM

Again, I'm not saying it's way off but it's definitely skewed.

Your days are numbered.
Also, I find this racist. So...we whites still rule the world (evil laugh)! How do you like them apples. J/K. :D. Seriously though, the whole world is becoming a melting pot so I'd say a lot of different ethnic groups days are becoming numbered. That said, I'm sure you'll find a lot more people in the world from European descent than one might initially think (ex: Brazil). We may go, but we all may go!

They should just follow the Fry's Electronics model, but even so. I think Fry's has already peaked a while ago too.

Whenever BB offers a DVD trade-in, I usually make out like a bandit, because like most of us, we have tons of DVD's sitting around, ready for the blu-ray upgrade (that exists), check prices on Amazon, & figure if the trade-in would yield a better price, and from time to time, yes, they do.

Anyone here try selling their most crappy used DVD's for $5/each, the kind that make think, why the hell did I buy this in the first place, will have a very difficult time.

Outside of the trade-in & black friday, I don't find much use for their store.

Fire half the blue-shirts, move to warehouse type store like Sam's Club and stop selling monster cables and pushing needless warranties. Then best buy would stand a chance of survival.

Agreed, but, they can sell monster cables, at reasonable prices instead of a 20,000% mark up.

You do know that the Nazi's did a breeding experiment, in which they maintained a community of the most genetically "desirable" human specimens that the world has ever produced? Of coursr you do. And you also know that the supreme gene pool they maintaimed was remarkably average at best in every possible quantifiable metric.

You obviously have not watched enough episodes of 'Ancient Aliens'. Hitler thought the Germans were a species with lineage of an alien race that deserved to rule all 'normal' humans.

I think Best Buy is still a good place to buy TVs if you're not invested in a specific brand. Their Dynex TVs are functional and cheap. No, my eyes may not implode from bells a whistles like in-TV apps or built-in 5.1 surround sound systems, but they're cheap enough for my living room to go with a 2 HDTV attached to 2 Xbox 360s setup that I have.

And I have noticed that they'll have better prices on some TVs than even a Sam's Club can provide. For the rest of the store, burn it down and start over.

Other than the sound quality/level, the 32" Dynex I bought for around $250 is a great TV in my bedroom. And it doesn't have that !#%@#$%!@# piano-black finish that seems to be all the rage. Nice, fingerprint proof brushed aluminum/black.

I like it a lot.

Goto Best Buy looking at HD TV's as a computer monitor, 42 inch HD LED backlit TV on for $1100, and its on sale

Display Port to HDMI cable at best buy is $80

Drive down to Memory Express, a computer store that sells TV's

That same TV is there for $800, and its not even on sale

Display port to HDMI cable is $12

GEE BEST BUY/FUTURESHOP, I WONDER WHY YOUR BUSINESS IS SO BAD LATELY

You guys are getting hardcore trolled. It's almost as if you're all fighting over the trollbait like dogs with a bone. It's funny how you're all trying to be so politically correct that you can't see it.

I need to go make some more popcorn.

They aren't trolling. Those posters are genuinely racist. That much has been made abundantly clear in plenty of threads by one of them.

you get what you pay for and sooner or later your business will reflect that.

You don't get to be some powerhouse of tech retail by employing high school kids for $9 dollars an hour. If those are the customer facing people -- that's already one big strike against best buy.

I worked out of a best buy part time as an external sales rep -- i have to say, ... " I never liked best buy to begin with, but after working there a little bit ... i just hate going into a best buy at all now. I always use to call them "worst buy" Management there rubs me wrong.

Ill be sad when there isnt a store like best buy for me to go in and look at goodies, then go home and order it online for 66% of the "worst buy" price.

Oooo ooo oooo!!!! I want to get in on this!

Worst buy is not an electronics authority? You don't say. The last thing I purchased there was a Toshiba Tablet they had on sale. They had an 8GB model on sale for 280 over the 2011 Christmas season. My wife was thinking about getting a tablet so this was a no brainer Christmas gift. I stood in an empty computer section on a Sunday afternoon in the middle of the New Jersey suburbs for 20 minutes for someone to make the effort to assist me on a purchase. The 2 "employees" found it more important to help people in the tiny Apple department than to help anyone else. So I acted like I didn't know I was looking for and then someone decided to come over and help. Help was "Can I see you some accessories?" I did pick up a case for it and a SD card which they had at a really cheap price. Finally I got rung up and a push for best buy geek support, a credit card and rewards zone came up. I said Debit card. The guy got all why don t you want these products. I said I want to pay and leave and nothing against him I told him to look for a another job cause this place might not be open for too much longer.

Reality is I would not shop at Best Buy unless they had some thing that an excellent price. The last few times being there, the store has the feeling of going out of business sales you see at some places all the time. In the end my wife was happy with her tablet. It was one of the best gifts I ever got her for Christmas. Best thing is she uses it all the time unlike most Christmas gifts are just used a couple of times and dumped.

Quit charging retail price and bullshitting people by calling yourself "Best Buy". It makes you look stoopid.

Quit raping people with outrageous "Geek Squad" services that are severely overpriced.

Quit trying to sell people things they clearly don't need. Recovery Disks for $50? Paleaaase.

I don't go to electronics stores for Slim Jims, Gummy Bears or Pretzels. Get rid of that shit.

They actually like to charge $100 for basically that service with the new pc setup + restore sku even when the setup portion can be done under the client's "tech support" subscription. Although the recovery discs are $50, that sku is rarely ever used. Best Buy's clientele is unable to download OEM windows install discs, which makes imaging a machine after replacing a hard drive a pain, as they have to order them from the manufacturer.

Oooo ooo oooo!!!! I want to get in on this!

Worst buy is not an electronics authority? You don't say. The last thing I purchased there was a Toshiba Tablet they had on sale. They had an 8GB model on sale for 280 over the 2011 Christmas season. My wife was thinking about getting a tablet so this was a no brainer Christmas gift. I stood in an empty computer section on a Sunday afternoon in the middle of the New Jersey suburbs for 20 minutes for someone to make the effort to assist me on a purchase. The 2 "employees" found it more important to help people in the tiny Apple department than to help anyone else. So I acted like I didn't know I was looking for and then someone decided to come over and help. Help was "Can I see you some accessories?" I did pick up a case for it and a SD card which they had at a really cheap price. Finally I got rung up and a push for best buy geek support, a credit card and rewards zone came up. I said Debit card. The guy got all why don t you want these products. I said I want to pay and leave and nothing against him I told him to look for a another job cause this place might not be open for too much longer.

Reality is I would not shop at Best Buy unless they had some thing that an excellent price. The last few times being there, the store has the feeling of going out of business sales you see at some places all the time. In the end my wife was happy with her tablet. It was one of the best gifts I ever got her for Christmas. Best thing is she uses it all the time unlike most Christmas gifts are just used a couple of times and dumped.
The associates concentrating on Apple products are intentional, Best Buy utilizes what is known as "notional margin" and grades employees and departments on that metric. Apple products have a very high notional margin, tablets and windows based computers do not. Customers are prioritized based on what they are looking at due to profitability.

As a company, you can only be really good at 1 thing ... Price, Service or Product.

For instance ;

I would consider Newegg a Service leader with a good product selection, and their prices are ok (not as good as they used to be). Apple is a good example of a Product leader with ok service and high prices. Amazon is a Price leader, with good service and product selection.

The problem with Best Buy is that they are not a leader in any field. Their product selection is mediocre at best, the prices are sky high and their service leaves much to be desired. They need to find a niche and try to be the leader in at least 1 of these areas or they will go bankrupt in short order.

Having a physical storefront, I personally think they need to focus on Service. Being able to interact with customers in person is the one benefit you can have that E-commerce stores can't. They need to exploit that advantage and start educating their staff to provide the best service possible.

You know how your parents/grandparents say stuff like "we used to walk to school in the snow" or "we didn't have computers back then"?

I think next generations kids when adults will be saying "we actually went to a store to buy a tv or video game back in the day" in the same sense.

BestBuy's a scumbag organization. Simple as that. My 70 year old mother did an incredibly generous thing and went to BestBuy to buy her 8 year old grandson a Toshiba kid friendly laptop for his birthday. She sends it in the mail, along with the reciept in case something is wrong. Anybody wanna guess how much these pieces of shit took their mark for? Laptop was $499. After the fee for their super special recovery disk creation, setup, one year antivirus subscription, and whatever other bullshit services....... $814 dollars! Now mind you, this is what they convinced her was necessary for the thing to even work. A 70 year old woman buying a gift for her grandson. What a mark. I couldn't believe it. I was so fucking pissed i took the thing to bestbuy, basically slammed it on the counter, gave as much attitude to the geek squad fucks behind the counter as i could, then went and re-bought the same laptop for the actual price. Assholes.

BestBuy's a scumbag organization. Simple as that. My 70 year old mother did an incredibly generous thing and went to BestBuy to buy her 8 year old grandson a Toshiba kid friendly laptop for his birthday. She sends it in the mail, along with the reciept in case something is wrong. Anybody wanna guess how much these pieces of shit took their mark for? Laptop was $499. After the fee for their super special recovery disk creation, setup, one year antivirus subscription, and whatever other bullshit services....... $814 dollars! Now mind you, this is what they convinced her was necessary for the thing to even work. A 70 year old woman buying a gift for her grandson. What a mark. I couldn't believe it. I was so fucking pissed i took the thing to bestbuy, basically slammed it on the counter, gave as much attitude to the geek squad fucks behind the counter as i could, then went and re-bought the same laptop for the actual price. Assholes.

How is that Best Buy's fault? All she had to do was say no.

How is that Best Buy's fault? All she had to do was say no.

I'm not faulting them, It's obviously legal. It's just a shitty, immoral, creepy, dirty ass thing to do. I guess the same can be said for most in sales. Best Buy is particularly sleazy though. $99 for recovery disks? LOL, That's like selling air.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back