Best Buy Beta

When did Best Buy start selling those things? :)
Sorry that’s Costco, now I’m just confused. Bestbuy doesn’t have the luxury of loss leaders other than crap like cheap USB keys. But the addition of membership fees would let them better compete on laptops, monitors, etc on which Costco can afford to undercut them by just enough that somebody would make the trip to the Costco instead of the Bestbuy over it.

I dont usually shop at BB but when I needed a TV last year I begrudgingly went to my local store ...I left with $4200 less than I had when I walked in.... I was surprised at how much inventory they had and how helpful they were..I dont remember having that experience previously

I dont usually shop at BB but when I needed a TV last year I begrudgingly went to my local store ...I left with $4200 less than I had when I walked in.... I was surprised at how much inventory they had and how helpful they were..I dont remember having that experience previously
That is really like the only thing they stock is TVs.

Is monster cables still a thing lol? Searching monster cables on BB doesn't show any.
Hmm...I guess not. I thought they were a Best Buy in house brand. A buddy of mine used to work there and he said that Best Buy used to buy those cables for less than a dollar.

Honestly seems like a good deal for average consumers. I don't need tech support, I'm sure I probably know more than anyone answering the phone at Best Buy.

But for regular people, especially older people that aren't tech savvy, that would be a huge help.

That said, I rarely shop at Best Buy. However, they do come in handy in a pinch. When my PSU died, I was able to get one the next morning for pickup. Also got my phone there when the one I ordered online didn't work.

But if I can wait a few days, I'd rather buy on Amazon or NewEgg, cause they have a much wider selection at least in terms of PC parts.

So what do you apparently see that shows BestBuy kicking the bucket? Considering actual proof, not just some random picture off the internet, shows how successful they are currently doing....
Don't waste your time with his nonsense.

Then what's the point of having a physical location? Just somewhere to drop the item off so the customer can pick it up? That won't last long. People are lazy.

Free returns (no, Amazon is not free unless you lie about the item being broken). Can pick up same day. Can see some accessories in person like mice to see how they feel.

It isn't a one shop stop place but they do have some use. I've bought some peripherals there over the years because of the return policy and good prices. I'm not loyal to any one store so I buy from Amazon, BB, Newegg, B&H (okay their sale policies pissed me off a few years back) or whatever.

I love when people insist on sharing their thoughts in spite of having absolutely zero clue what they're talking about.

BBY's last 5 years have been the most profitable period in the 50 year history of the company. And last year was a record.

View attachment 346057
I hear game stop is ripping it up as well. I should invest right ?

You MUST know what you're talking about...I mean, you were able to use the internet to find a picture to make your talking point!

Watch out people! This guy knows how to share a google image!
Yes, it's called research. It's what intelligent people do before making a claim so they aren't just talking out their ass.
You should try it sometime.

BB inventory quality has gotten better every year for sometime now. I shop there quite a lot these days because the current shipping situation irritates me.

They closed a lot of stores last year. More this year due to their leases being up. Within the next 5 years I think they are going to be an online only store. They won't be able to compete with Amazon.

Also, when companies start offering these types of programs, it's because they're having difficulty bringing in repeat customers.
So by your theory amazon must be struggling bc they offer prime? What about Walmart and their shipping program? They must be failing too.

I've been shopping less and less at Amazon in the past couple years. Most of my purchases have been at Best Buy, coincidentally, and I've actually started going back to Gamestop. Still use Newegg for all my PC parts purchases.
I'm with you there, mostly because Amazon no longer gets things to me within two days of ordering; a week give or take on most Prime items seems to be the average now. I'm not sure if that's because of the pandemic still, but it's been the case since it started. The fast shipping speed was the only reason I used them for most of my purchases; now B&H, Newegg, and yes, Best Buy regularly get items to me faster, often within one day and rarely more than two.

Yes, it's called research. It's what intelligent people do before making a claim so they aren't just talking out their ass.
You should try it sometime.
Check it out, research
CN1xfwEWgAATFCy.png

Where's my degree?

Honestly seems like a good deal for average consumers. I don't need tech support, I'm sure I probably know more than anyone answering the phone at Best Buy.

But for regular people, especially older people that aren't tech savvy, that would be a huge help.

That said, I rarely shop at Best Buy. However, they do come in handy in a pinch. When my PSU died, I was able to get one the next morning for pickup. Also got my phone there when the one I ordered online didn't work.

But if I can wait a few days, I'd rather buy on Amazon or NewEgg, cause they have a much wider selection at least in terms of PC parts.
Agree.

So by your theory amazon must be struggling bc they offer prime? What about Walmart and their shipping program? They must be failing too.
Amazon and Walmart sell an enormous amount of product, eclipsing what BB sells, which justifies their subscription service. When Best Buy starts selling medicine, then it'll be more justifiable. But I don't think it'll work out for them.

What about Microcenter are they going to die too ?

Or no because they have much less stores ?

What about Microcenter are they going to die too ?

Or no because they have much less stores ?
Don't know, but they need to stop putting ridiculous prices on aged hardware. This type of thing Frys did. Its not good.

I remember seeing an article like a month ago that Best Buy was closing a bunch of stores and had laid off like 5000 employees. Then I read in this thread how they're the most profitable they've ever been?

Gotta love corporate America

I remember seeing an article like a month ago that Best Buy was closing a bunch of stores and had laid off like 5000 employees. Then I read in this thread how they're the most profitable they've ever been?

Gotta love corporate America
Yea a bunch of people were pooping on best buy here for their business practices. Now they are praising them.
We got some boomers here who still think company profits trump everything cuz CoMmUnIsM bAd.

ut the addition of membership fees would let them better compete on laptops, monitors, etc
Not trying to disagree in general, but I got a hell of a deal on a Zephyrus G14 at the start of the year at BB.

I'm with you there, mostly because Amazon no longer gets things to me within two days of ordering; a week give or take on most Prime items seems to be the average now. I'm not sure if that's because of the pandemic still, but it's been the case since it started. The fast shipping speed was the only reason I used them for most of my purchases; now B&H, Newegg, and yes, Best Buy regularly get items to me faster, often within one day and rarely more than two.
Weird, but perhaps a local thing? Not only do I almost always get stuff in time[1], but some things I can get next day.

[1] The last time it happened, the mailman accidentally left the package in his truck, after marking it as having been delivered. And he's done that twice now in the last six months, and I've never seen that happen ever before. Grr.

They closed a lot of stores last year. More this year due to their leases being up. Within the next 5 years I think they are going to be an online only store. They won't be able to compete with Amazon.

Also, when companies start offering these types of programs, it's because they're having difficulty bringing in repeat customers.
My local Best Buy in downtown Chicago just closed.

You posted a graph showing stock price and claimed that was proof Best Buy was on solid ground.

Of course they're up this year... you have perhaps noticed the pandemic going on and the millions of people working at home ?

Best buy just laid off 5000 workers a month ago. Their staff levels are down 17% the last year or 21,000 employees.

This move to online subscription crap... is because they NEED to lock all this last years sales boom in somehow. Its not going to continue. Things go back to normal at some point this year... and then the sudden boom in Best buy online sales (due in equal parts to massive demand... and massive shortages) is going to crash. A lot of the online sales best buy is seeing this year is because people are having a hard time finding the tech they need... that doesn't mean Best buy was their first choice. It doesn't mean that those customers won't buy from someone else the next time.

I don't see their sub service saving them... they are still a brick and mortar store in a time when B&M stores are dying.

Having said all that I'm not predicting Best Buy is going to shutter its doors any time soon. But pointing at their stock price in a year when they are seeing massive situation related sales boosts... AND also benefiting from being forced to close many stores, or reduce their sales forces to hit Public Health requirements. Has SHOCKER lead to a up tick in both sales and profits. That stock graph is going to look very bad in about 12 months. (unless this hail Mary sub thing actually works out... which I doubt)

AND if your really didn't get the joke. Ya Game stops stock was also artificially inflated... but I sure wouldn't suggest holding a ton of Game stop as a great long term investment. lol

You posted a graph showing stock price and claimed that was proof Best Buy was on solid ground.

Of course they're up this year... you have perhaps noticed the pandemic going on and the millions of people working at home ?

Best buy just laid off 5000 workers a month ago. Their staff levels are down 17% the last year or 21,000 employees.

This move to online subscription crap... is because they NEED to lock all this last years sales boom in somehow. Its not going to continue. Things go back to normal at some point this year... and then the sudden boom in Best buy online sales (due in equal parts to massive demand... and massive shortages) is going to crash. A lot of the online sales best buy is seeing this year is because people are having a hard time finding the tech they need... that doesn't mean Best buy was their first choice. It doesn't mean that those customers won't buy from someone else the next time.

I don't see their sub service saving them... they are still a brick and mortar store in a time when B&M stores are dying.

Having said all that I'm not predicting Best Buy is going to shutter its doors any time soon. But pointing at their stock price in a year when they are seeing massive situation related sales boosts... AND also benefiting from being forced to close many stores, or reduce their sales forces to hit Public Health requirements. Has SHOCKER lead to a up tick in gross sales. That stock graph is going to look very bad in about 12 months. (unless this hail Mary sub thing actually works out... which I doubt)

AND if your really didn't get the joke. Ya Game stops stock was also artificially inflated... but I sure wouldn't suggest holding a ton of Game stop as a great long term investment. lol

Your right.

I am just glad Best Buy basically overnight did curb side pickup to all stores.

They should of had that a long time ago.

Reactions: ChadD
like this
Curious question what if Best Buy Beta expands to all stores soon like in a few months or a year?

What happens if you sign up and Best Buy goes out of busy after signing up a little while later? Then what ? No more Best Buy 2 year warranty ?

I love when people insist on sharing their thoughts in spite of having absolutely zero clue what they're talking about.

BBY's last 5 years have been the most profitable period in the 50 year history of the company. And last year was a record.
Yea they have done quite well, but they have dropped 1/2 their staff. They are essentially warehouses now. Worked there, have friends that still do. They have a service they can provide. Got my OLED there on ps5 launch day, can't do that online. On top of the service plan they did try to sell me some sort of tech support plan for my TV though...eeeeh

Weird, but perhaps a local thing? Not only do I almost always get stuff in time[1], but some things I can get next day.

[1] The last time it happened, the mailman accidentally left the package in his truck, after marking it as having been delivered. And he's done that twice now in the last six months, and I've never seen that happen ever before. Grr.
I'm off the beaten path, it's true, but that was never an issue prior to the pandemic. For years I regularly received my orders within two days. Now? That never happens. I have a bunch of Prime items in my cart right now, and the earliest estimated delivery date is next Tuesday. My experience over the last year with Amazon has shown me that that estimate is optimistic if anything.

And again, all these are Prime items with a Prime membership stated as being shipped by Amazon. What I usually do now is window shop on Amazon and add stuff to my cart. Then I go and see if I can find those same items at other places where I know I will receive them quickly. Whatever is left that I cannot find elsewhere I'll go ahead and purchase through Amazon.

Your readying comprehension is suspect if all you saw in my post was the stock shot.

BBY has also had around 100-110,000 employees for years now. And they still have over 100,000. So I'd suggest you verify whatever information you're looking at that states they've dropped almost a 5th or their workforce.

Cutting store roles and replacing them with additional headcount in logistics is how they're surviving and thriving. Business models shift.

Your right.

Their strategy from 2005 to 2020 was all about selling services... which were crap. I think covid and new CEO shocked them back into life. I had a convo with a corporate marketing guy once in 2007 or so, went like so.

"we want to be a services company first and foremost"
me: "but isn't the goal of all the elec companies we sell to make things easier to use so anyone can hook them up?"
"yes"
me: "won't these two paths collide at some point?"

I'm off the beaten path, it's true, but that was never an issue prior to the pandemic. For years I regularly received my orders within two days. Now? That never happens. I have a bunch of Prime items in my cart right now, and the earliest estimated delivery date is next Tuesday. My experience over the last year with Amazon has shown me that that estimate is optimistic if anything.

And again, all these are Prime items with a Prime membership stated as being shipped by Amazon. What I usually do now is window shop on Amazon and add stuff to my cart. Then I go and see if I can find those same items at other places where I know I will receive them quickly. Whatever is left that I cannot find elsewhere I'll go ahead and purchase through Amazon.

You must be in the middle of nowhere then again I could be totally wrong. Doesn't matter either way.

We have the same thing happen here where stuff in ships quicker now. Plus we will soon have our first Amazon warehouse here! Can't wait. Hope it brings Amazon Prime Now (or whatever it is called) unless Amazon does not do 1 or 2 hour delivery anymore. Most stuff right now ships and arrives in 1 or 2 days.

If I need something really fast that Amazon can't get to me in time because of who knows why there is always next day shipping on Newegg or BH Photo & Video.

Would prefer BH Photo & Video because unlike Newegg they basically gurantee same day shipping before a certain time plus next day shipping is by 10:30 am or by noon (depending on where you live) guaranteed. That is even better. That is the only thing I don't like about Amazon Delivery vans or trucks they normally delivery in the late afternoon/early evening.

Hmm...I guess not. I thought they were a Best Buy in house brand. A buddy of mine used to work there and he said that Best Buy used to buy those cables for less than a dollar.
When I was young I worked for 5 years for Future Shop... which Best buy bought out a long time ago now and they basically opened BB next door to the FS locations and then closed the FS locations when their leases expired.

Anyway ya... Future shop we worked 100% commission. (its crazy I have had much "better" jobs in the 20+ years since... but that was still my favorite job, I was making 6 figures selling TVs phones and computers was fun times) Anyway... yes we got paid massive "Spiffs" on things like cables. Monster is their own company but yes they sell their cables to retailers for very low prices... with the understanding that everyone will protect their high end perception. They where not allowed to be discounted. (although we used to package them in all the time... the receipt would show one price for like 10 things)

Ya I remember selling $30... sometimes $50 monster cables and getting paid $10-20 myself. With a $15 spiff on a $30 cable you better believe almost everyone left with a Monster cable. We had deals like that on surge bars... ISP hook up packages ect ect. Back then I could sell a PC setup for $2000... with $300-400 of it being cables/surge bars/UPS units/$50 cable modem hook up packages with the first 3 months service included and the like. I would make $30-50 in commission on the PC... and $100 on the extras. I never felt that bad the Monster cables always worked, the surge bars we had really where good... and our purchasers got deals on good APC units, they spiffed the ones they bought by the thousands worked out for everyone, customers, company and me. lol

The only thing bad about BH Photo & Video right now is their shipping is backed up because of them being closed for a week or so earlier. Sucks.

So next day delivery really is not true next day right now. Stupid.

Oh well.

Your right.

I bought a TV from Best buy this year. I don't normally deal with them... but didn't really want to get a big Sony in the mail. Was nice pulled up walked to the door walked back to the car.

When I was a kid in the early 80s I remember Consumer distributing... they had "stores" in every province in Canada. (and some in the states). But ya we got the consumers catalog once a year... and I remember my grand parents and parents going down to consumers. Walk in to the counter give them their order number, pay and walk out. They where Amazon before the internet. lol

You must be in the middle of nowhere then again I could be totally wrong. Doesn't matter either way.

We have the same thing happen here where stuff in ships quicker now. Plus we will soon have our first Amazon warehouse here! Can't wait. Hope it brings Amazon Prime Now (or whatever it is called) unless Amazon does not do 1 or 2 hour delivery anymore. Most stuff right now ships and arrives in 1 or 2 days.

If I need something really fast that Amazon can't get to me in time because of who knows why there is always next day shipping on Newegg or BH Photo & Video.

Would prefer BH Photo & Video because unlike Newegg they basically gurantee same day shipping before a certain time plus next day shipping is by 10:30 am or by noon (depending on where you live) guaranteed. That is even better. That is the only thing I don't like about Amazon Delivery vans or trucks they normally delivery in the late afternoon/early evening.
When Amazon actually does ship items it only takes a couple of days. The thing is, now the items languish in the preparing the order stage for several days before shipping. It's as if they prioritize order processing by how close the customer is to a distribution center.

I love B&H. Most of my tech-based orders are through them these days. Just as you say, their delivery is reliably fast. Well . . . except for right now because of Passover, but I won't fault them that.

Back