Best Buy Agrees To Pay $3.8M Civil Penalty For Selling Recalled Products

HardOCP News

[H] News
Not only did Best Buy sell recalled products for five years, the company did so even after it told the Consumer Product Safety Commission that it wasn't selling recalled products. The best part? Today's settlement does not constitute an admission of guilt by Best Buy...they just like paying massive fines and stuff.

The agreement settles charges that the firm knowingly sold and distributed 16 different recalled products during a five year period from 2010 through 2015. CPSC staff charged that Best Buy failed to implement adequate procedures to accurately identify, quarantine, and prevent the sales of the recalled products across all of its supply channels. Staff also charged that Best Buy, in some cases, failed to permanently block product codes due to inaccurate information that signaled that the recalled product was not in inventory. At other times, the blocked codes were reactivated prematurely, and in a few cases, overridden.

Such evilness...should have been fined 3.8Billion! No 3.8 Trillion dollars!

It pains me to even type this vile crime, but look at what they did to their so called customers......

"Between September 2010 and October 2015, Best Buy sold about 600 recalled items, including more than 400 Canon cameras, to consumers."

Name of product:
EOS Rebel T4i Digital SLR Cameras​
Hazard:
A chemical used in the camera's rubber grips can result in a reaction that changes the grips from black to white and poses a risk of skin irritation to the consumer.​
Incidents/Injuries:
Canon U.S.A., Inc. has received one report of a consumer who developed a minor rash after contact with a surface where the camera had been.​

I hate Best Buy. I don't know why people shop there. However... I agree... Wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!! My fingers sting... :cry:

Also it's good that you included the world "civil penalty" in the title, because that is what allows them to not plead guilty.....because there was no crime. Crime require conclusive proof. Civil penalties only require reasonable proof.

This is how red light cameras operate. They are considered civil offenses and not criminal offenses. If a cop pulls you over for running a red light (or turning right on a red), then it is a criminal offense because he actually caught you. But the camera cannot see you, they just assume it's you, the registered driver of the car. And this is why they have been shut down in many states and/or cities. In Texas, the cities can't go after you for not paying the fines. They can't threaten you with mean sounding letters, but they can't actually do anything about it. As a result many cities have just flat turned them off.

Just a quick explanation of the difference.

Boss told me today that when he attempted to return his Samsung Note 7 after the global recall notice, Best Buy refused twice. Saying there was nothing wrong with the device. He was finally able to return it after convincing them and said it wasn't easy.

Such evilness...should have been fined 3.8Billion! No 3.8 Trillion dollars!

It pains me to even type this vile crime, but look at what they did to their so called customers......

"Between September 2010 and October 2015, Best Buy sold about 600 recalled items, including more than 400 Canon cameras, to consumers."

Name of product:
EOS Rebel T4i Digital SLR Cameras​
Hazard:
A chemical used in the camera's rubber grips can result in a reaction that changes the grips from black to white and poses a risk of skin irritation to the consumer.​
Incidents/Injuries:
Canon U.S.A., Inc. has received one report of a consumer who developed a minor rash after contact with a surface where the camera had been.​

That is only one of the recalls in all fairness. Some other were much worse such as driers that wouldn't turn off and kept heating after the drying cycle resulting in possible fires. Agreed that ones like that are just bull shit recalls.

Boss told me today that when he attempted to return his Samsung Note 7 after the global recall notice, Best Buy refused twice. Saying there was nothing wrong with the device. He was finally able to return it after convincing them and said it wasn't easy.

This is why I don't shop there. Fuck them.

Back