Best Buy 12TB WD Easy Store External HDD 179.99

Shouldn't be an issue. Personally, I wouldn't run a raid5 unless you've got another backup for the volume.
I had got 5 of the 10TB drives. I run 4 in a ZFS2, have the other 10TB in it's usb enclosure as another backup and an account with backblaze.

Do most of you use the WD backup software or do you use something else?

At home and at work on linux machines I use bacula (since the late 1990s). At work I now backup primarily to LTO7 tapes (200TB+ of data in my existing backups). I have run around 100 thousand backup jobs that have completed with bacula and only a handful of restore jobs. I do verification tests when time and available storage permits however I would like to do this more often. I can say that I have done more verification restores than actual restores..

At home and at work on windows clients I use AOMEI to backup to disk based volumes which eventually get pushed to an "unlimited" cloud based drive.

I quoted unlimited because I am waiting to get a nasty email to tell me that my usage of the unlimited resource is too much!

John

Last edited:
Do most of you use the WD backup software or do you use something else?
I use Macrium Reflect to make an image of my boot drive, which sits on my data disks. This is so if Windows hoses itself I can restore locally. For the bulk of my data (about 37TB currently) I back it all up with Backblaze. I too suspect I will one day get a nasty letter about using too much for an unlimited service, but I've been with them since February 2017 where I started at only 9TB.

For my media server I use Stabelbit Drive Pool which allows me to drop drives of different sizes and speeds into a pool, but it also allows duplication down to the file level if I want it. Similar to what was done on WHS v1 and v2. In conjunction with that I use a program called Cloudberry to create local backups to an external HDD and nightly backups to AWS.

What do folks use to verify drives before use? I haven't done this in a few years and have 8 new drives on the way.

Not exactly related to the OP but I ordered a batch of 12TB WD gaming drives direct from WD. Despite the virus they are requiring a direct signature on all orders and they won't allow me or UPS to waive it.

Just a PSA to my fellow drive shuckers.

Edit: Even better, they recommend to place multiple sub $1000 orders and they won't require signatures. They want to let my existing order get returned to sender while I place multiple replacement orders.

Last edited:
Seriously? UPS just dropped me a $4k Macbook without signature yesterday. How can WD force the issue?

Seriously? UPS just dropped me a $4k Macbook without signature yesterday. How can WD force the issue?
There's an option with UPS for requiring a signature. It costs extra so most shippers don't do it, but for a 4k macbook I would have. If the shipper chooses that option and a porch pirate got that macbook, UPS would have been on the hook.

Signatures used to be a requirement period, but another dumb move to make it easier for thieves, someone thought it would be fine. Then they found out it wouldn't so they started charging the customer for a service which was previously free--typical gig economy corporate bs imo with a shiny new slogan and dumb millenial ads. Like the wisdom to allow check to be deposited from a picture on a phone--great idea when electronic fraud is on the rise. :meh: I just wish I was unethical enough to write a nice fat check to myself and then flee the country with the cash. Oh, and get off my lawn...:ROFLMAO:

There's an option with UPS for requiring a signature. It costs extra so most shippers don't do it, but for a 4k macbook I would have. If the shipper chooses that option and a porch pirate got that macbook, UPS would have been on the hook.

Signatures used to be a requirement period, but another dumb move to make it easier for thieves, someone thought it would be fine. Then they found out it wouldn't so they started charging the customer for a service which was previously free--typical gig economy corporate bs imo with a shiny new slogan and dumb millenial ads. Like the wisdom to allow check to be deposited from a picture on a phone--great idea when electronic fraud is on the rise. :meh: I just wish I was unethical enough to write a nice fat check to myself and then flee the country with the cash.

Apple delivered a $1700 iPad to my door 2 days ago. They required a signature but I was able to waive it online. By my estimation that puts the risk in my control, which is fine by me. WD won't do that.

So I have 2 boxes coming Tuesday that'll get bounced back to them and they'd have me order 2 separate boxes with separate order numbers. It's just asinine under the current conditions. I'm not gonna budge because I have a pre-existing condition so zero chances taken. Now to decide whether I am stubborn enough to go buy some Seagate drives instead. My issue is that I already have 1 of the 12TB DC drives in hand already so need 7 to match.

I totally get why their SYSTEMS do this but it doesn't make sense to not assist as a one-off, especially when they are fine to do it on a split order.

I'll probably wait it out to see what happens Tuesday. I've had the same UPS driver forever so hopefully they'll just hook me up.

Apple delivered a $1700 iPad to my door 2 days ago. They required a signature but I was able to waive it online. By my estimation that puts the risk in my control, which is fine by me. WD won't do that.

So I have 2 boxes coming Tuesday that'll get bounced back to them and they'd have me order 2 separate boxes with separate order numbers. It's just asinine under the current conditions. I'm not gonna budge because I have a pre-existing condition so zero chances taken. Now to decide whether I am stubborn enough to go buy some Seagate drives instead. My issue is that I already have 1 of the 12TB DC drives in hand already so need 7 to match.

I totally get why their SYSTEMS do this but it doesn't make sense to not assist as a one-off, especially when they are fine to do it on a split order.

I'll probably wait it out to see what happens Tuesday. I've had the same UPS driver forever so hopefully they'll just hook me up.
The UPS subscription service does allow consumers some options, but I think they pretty much then transfer the risk to you, like if you sign on the infonotice saying that it's okay to leave it and it's gone, the original shipper has their proof that you received it so a credit card chargeback won't even get your money back.

My wife dealt with a similar issue for a 'signature only' package this week when the driver either didn't press the doorbell or she just never heard it. Because the delivery was actually made much later than the previous days 'attempt', I tend to think it was no doorbell and just slap the infonotice on the door and move on deal.

UPS is actually pretty good about one-off stuff. In fact, as a shipper and a receiver I've come to consider UPS's operations nearly perfect in a world where blown off phone calls and details swept under the run are the new 'normal'. I would highly encourage you to call them and see what they can do to accommodate your situation. Took me a few tries to get through the phone hoops (hint, just dial zero), but once I did the phone agent entered in the notes to make sure the door bell is pressed several times and my wife sent me a message that she got her package. :)

Knowing your UPS driver is a huge plus--they will definitely go above and beyond for small things like calling when you have a package (like we do at a business that we've temporarily shuttered), or just coming at a certain time as long as it doesn't mess up their route too much. I've enjoyed working with all the UPS drivers I have over the years, and it's great to see them outside of work too as many of them are quite exceptional in their own right. (One was head of a non-profit for kids, another was infinitely knowledgeable about foods and nutrition, and another one that was just about to retire had the nicest 68 Camaro with a full Baer brake setup and killer lowered suspension--so clean!)

Hope UPS does you right. (y)

I tried to call UPS already but no dice.. will wait for the driver. I'm sure if I place duplicate orders then the first one will just get dropped on the porch and I'll have drives forever. But if I wait then the current sale will go away and I'll be in wait mode again.

I've previously had a standing waiver in place with Fedex but I don't think they do that these days. I don't think UPS ever did but the online system should let me accept the risk. I'd be fine with it as even during non-pandemic times I've worked from home for some time.

If you sign up for a free UPS MyChoice account you have the option of providing special delivery instructions on packages with your delivery address, it's a way to get a note to the driver.

Just poked around and my only package is no signature ground, so it was greyed out by default but there is a shipment release option. (per package)

If you sign up for a free UPS MyChoice account you have the option of providing special delivery instructions on packages with your delivery address, it's a way to get a note to the driver.

Just poked around and my only package is no signature ground, so it was greyed out by default but there is a shipment release option. (per package)

Yeah it's bizarre. I've subbed to paid MyChoice for years but for these shipments, when I try to add a note I just get an error message. It says try back later but has persisted for a couple days now.

I'll just hang a note on the door and roll with it. I'll either have 8 new 12TB DC drives Tuesday or .. just one.

Mind telling us what you use all that storage for ?
Can't speak for others (and I'm on 8TB drives, not 12 or 14), but I use much of my storage for rips of my 4K disks, as well as older blu rays and all of my CDs. All are lossless rips to FLAC or MKV files, so it takes up a fair amount of storage. I also do weekly backup from PCs...oh and a few TB of Raw Photos....if I ever scan all my negatives, I'll probably have to move to bigger drives, since those tend to take about 100MB/scan and any editing would yield a separate/larger file. There's also documents and stuff, but those don't take up much space in the grand scheme of things.

Ok I've got 8 new DC HC520's here.. well presumably. I need to revisit my shucking (and validation) skills over the next several days.

UPS just dropped them and left so no problem with signatures after the concern.

Edit: Well my jacked up hands are going to be sore (thanks sports!) but the rest of them should be easy. I always seem to jack up the first case a bit figuring it out. The videos always look so easy.

Last edited:
Confirm if these were indeed DC HC520's? Understand those were the XBOX black and not the Easystore...

Amazon down to $199 - down ~$15 on 12TB Easystore

Confirm if these were indeed DC HC520's? Understand those were the XBOX black and not the Easystore...

Amazon down to $199 - down ~$15 on 12TB Easystore

Correct on both counts, HC520 from Xbox black. I paid more than the Easystores of course.

if I ever scan all my negatives, I'll probably have to move to bigger drives, since those tend to take about 100MB/scan and any editing would yield a separate/larger file.

Wouldn't the edits just be stored in metadata as with most RAW image formats? Curious as I also have some negatives I plan on scanning eventually.

Wouldn't the edits just be stored in metadata as with most RAW image formats? Curious as I also have some negatives I plan on scanning eventually.
I use vuescan, but AFAIK, all scans of negatives huge. You can scan them to TFF, PSD or raw, but raw, as I recall, is essentially a scan as a negative. My recollection is the advantage of that is that you can go back and apply certain changes later on, but it's definitely not a regular raw file.

When I tossed it into LR, you couldn't do the same level of adjustments that you can with a DSLR raw file.

Ok I've got 8 new DC HC520's here.. well presumably. I need to revisit my shucking (and validation) skills over the next several days.

UPS just dropped them and left so no problem with signatures after the concern.

Edit: Well my jacked up hands are going to be sore (thanks sports!) but the rest of them should be easy. I always seem to jack up the first case a bit figuring it out. The videos always look so easy.
That's because it is easy. Just 5 guitar picks is all you need, then big enough hands to slide the middle part out. Your hands shouldn't hurt at all if you do it right.

I don't cut up cards, I just use them whole...though I normally do not use CCs, I use old gift cards or loyalty cards from a trip I took to vegas 10 or so years ago, but cutting them up works too.

That's because it is easy. Just 5 guitar picks is all you need, then big enough hands to slide the middle part out. Your hands shouldn't hurt at all if you do it right.

I have torn ligaments and some other things going on with my hands so some joints float around a bit and are causing arthritis. I have my wife opening jars for me unfortunately.

But yeah I’ve got cards, specialized tools, guitar picks, you name it.

If anyone notices these - particularly the 12tb - please ping me. Or this thread. Dude is looking for a few more of these to finish his Synology.

If anyone notices these - particularly the 12tb - please ping me. Or this thread. Dude is looking for a few more of these to finish his Synology.
Would 10TB do? I think peanuthead might still have some bnib if he hasn't sold them.

Ditto, except I'm looking for the 14TB for MY Synology :D.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
That was a good price for the 12TB ones. Here's hoping they have the $210 14TB ones again for BF.

Back