Best Buy 12TB WD Easy Store External HDD 179.99

8TB is now $139.99

OZOsTC3.png

Reactions: Joust
like this
bought one of these the other day. It was registering as a 250GB when plugged in. Tried updating my Intel rapid storage drivers, my asus chipset and bios, tried a diskpart clean.. no luck.

went back to bestbuy and they wanted geek squad to check it out. They opened it up, and it was a 250GB drive with a fishing weight in it.

Made them test the replacement before I left.

bought one of these the other day. It was registering as a 250GB when plugged in. Tried updating my Intel rapid storage drivers, my asus chipset and bios, tried a diskpart clean.. no luck.

went back to bestbuy and they wanted geek squad to check it out. They opened it up, and it was a 250GB drive with a fishing weight in it.

Made them test the replacement before I left.
Yeah. people are shady af. Those kind of people are going to ruin it for the rest of us.

For the 8TB, $139.99 is pretty much regular price. You can get the Amazon model for $124 on sale every couple of months.

12TB are up on Amazon right now for $174.99. Won't be in stock till March 14th, but for those of you wanting to jump on the price.

Link

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Eh, I guess I need to expand my NAS... probably not going to be much cheaper than this if at all for a while... so I'm getting a couple.

Just bought 8x 8TB 3 weeks ago. Best Buy let me buy all 8 online, and shipped them all for free...

...but placing that order sure was a pain in the ass. I had initially placed the order for store pickup (although my local store only had 3 drives in stock) so I could go get them at my leisure, figuring that Best Buy would just internally shuffle inventory to make this possible. But, no. It errored out and made me manually select "Free 2-day shipping" on each drive (all 8, 1 at a time). Then it errored out again saying that only the first drive would get free 2-day shipping and I had to manually select free 7-10 business shipping on the other 7 drives. That worked... except all 8 drives showed up in a single box with the 2-day free shipping anyway.

It worked out fine, but it really was one of the more complicated online orders I've ever had to do.

Edit: These were shucked and installed in a Dell PowerEdge R515 server with the PERC-H700 controller that I was given. I have them set up in a hardware RAID-6. All drives were the WD EMAZ's and they work great.

The deal is back. Link is in the first post for the direct from BestBuy link. Also available via google store for $169.99 with coupon code 10APRILSAVE but it might limit 1 via google. Check slickdeals for the google link.

The deal is back. Link is in the first post for the direct from BestBuy link. Also available via google store for $169.99 with coupon code 10APRILSAVE but it might limit 1 via google. Check slickdeals for the google link.
Google 10% off no longer working

I was finally able to catch this sale in time and picked up 6, had to order from 3 different stores (2 limit). Anyway I'm backing up my data to one of them now and have shucked 3 of them so far, all wd120emaz. According to my little research they're the same as the 12tb red drives. If so that makes me very happy!!!

Hey guys, so out of the six drives I bought one of them is a EMFZ while the other 5 are EMAZ. I'm using a Areca HW controller and creating a RAID5 with them. Do you think its okay to mix them? Or should I return the EMFZ and keep fishing?

I was finally able to catch this sale in time and picked up 6, had to order from 3 different stores (2 limit). Anyway I'm backing up my data to one of them now and have shucked 3 of them so far, all wd120emaz. According to my little research they're the same as the 12tb red drives. If so that makes me very happy!!!
Mind telling us what you use all that storage for ?

Hey guys, so out of the six drives I bought one of them is a EMFZ while the other 5 are EMAZ. I'm using a Areca HW controller and creating a RAID5 with them. Do you think its okay to mix them? Or should I return the EMFZ and keep fishing?
I'd personally return it and try again. I will also gently recommend you consider raid 6 instead, at these sizes a URE failure during rebuild is pretty much guaranteed. Even when I made a 5x 4tb array back in 2014 I moved to raid 6.

I'd personally return it and try again. I will also gently recommend you consider raid 6 instead, at these sizes a URE failure during rebuild is pretty much guaranteed. Even when I made a 5x 4tb array back in 2014 I moved to raid 6.
I also do this. Though plenty do RAID5. Parity costs, but man...so does data loss.

I also do this. Though plenty do RAID5. Parity costs, but man...so does data loss.
Yeah it sucks, but technology hasn't caught up. The failure rate has stayed the same, as drive sizes have increased. At 14tb, it's within the manufacturer's specs to have an unrecoverable read error before you read the entire disk, which is exactly what happens during a rebuild. I back everything up with Backblaze, I use raid 6 to maintain uptime since it would be a massive pain to have downtime as I work from home.

I just picked up the 8TB version here locally at BB on sale. Was the last one.

Shouldn't be an issue. Personally, I wouldn't run a raid5 unless you've got another backup for the volume.

Do most of you use the WD backup software or do you use something else?

Back