Best Buy 12TB WD Easy Store External HDD 179.99

Discussion in '[H]ot|DEALS' started by LurkerLito, Nov 7, 2019.

1. SamirD

SamirD 2[H]4U

Nice! When you can cycle out drives this fast, short warranties don't matter as much. I wish I had the time. And it seems like you can post them on here and sell out the whole lot pretty quick depending on your price. :)

2. rbtree

rbtree [H]Lite

Also interested. I had an 8 die (It was quite new, I may have dropped it), but two succumbed to a house fire, though I found a local outfit that was able to recover the data. I have 3 10's and 3 8's, but can use 2-4 more.

3. methodic

methodic n00b

When I went to shuck drives, I noticed each one was the different model number.

I was hoping to maybe get a Synology and drop both in does it matter that they are different model numbers? Both are 12 TB

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
    SamirD likes this.
  4. Gasaraki_

Gasaraki_ Gawd

5. kirbyrj

kirbyrj [H]ard as it Gets

...for now. Give it 2 weeks.

SamirD and Ranulfo like this.
  6. Spartacus09

Spartacus09 [H]ard|Gawd

As long as they're the same size it doesn't matter.

SamirD likes this.
  7. methodic

methodic n00b

Thx

SamirD likes this.
  8. the_real_7

the_real_7 [H]ard|Gawd

Added you also Edgar thank you , should get new drives in Wednesday and be shipping 10tb by Monday are Tuesday next week.

SamirD likes this.
  9. the_real_7

the_real_7 [H]ard|Gawd

Added you also ideviouz thank you , should get new drives in Wednesday and be shipping 10tb by Monday are Tuesday next week.

SamirD likes this.
  10. the_real_7

the_real_7 [H]ard|Gawd

I've always done the same from the 2tb black , 4tb black,6tb black,8tb reds. I accumulate about 4tb a month of data , plus I keep duplicate box of duplicate drives that sits in safe place. Ive never had a wd drive go bad on me so warranty is never been my concern. hopefully I can lose the lot here within a couple of days SamirD.

SamirD likes this.
  11. Ranulfo

Ranulfo [H]ard|Gawd

Yeah, looks like they're now showing previews for the Black Friday sale, same prices again but not until actual BF.

SamirD likes this.
  12. Spartacus09

Spartacus09 [H]ard|Gawd

I have elite plus from all the hard drives I bought last year :D i'll letcha know if I get any teasers about HDD deals.

13. GiGaBiTe

GiGaBiTe Gawd

SMR is Shingled magnetic Recording. It's basically a way to cram more data onto a platter. If you think of a simple bar magnet with a N and S pole laid flat on a table, this is how the magnetic bits were originally oriented until manufacturers hit a size limit. They then oriented the magnetic bits as if you had a bar magnet standing on one of its ends to crunch them more tightly together. SMR is the next evolution of the problem of cramming bits as closely together as possible where the magnetic bits are shingled on top of each other, much like how building roofs have layered asphalt shingles.

SMR has a problem though, the write head is too big to accurately write a single track of data, which makes writes to the platter destructive to the shingled layer of magnetic bits above the currently being written ones. This means in order to prevent data loss, the drive has to perform "housekeeping" by re-writing the damaged data done by the previous write. This slows the drive down considerably, which is why SMR drives have large caches, to try and buffer this housekeeping so the drive doesn't fall flat on its face.

These drives are good for slow long term storage, but suck for everything else. Don't use one as a boot drive or you'll have a bad time. I found this out the hard way when I discovered what SMR drives were. I was trying to spin up a simple server and Linux was acting like the drive was failing, but it turns out that SMR drives fall flat on their face doing random I/O and just give up. I returned for a refund as fast as I could and was shocked when I couldn't find a single 2 TB drive on the market that didn't have SMR, when I had bought them just a couple years ago.

SamirD, Edgar and Ranulfo like this.
  14. Spartacus09

Spartacus09 [H]ard|Gawd

15. RanceJustice

RanceJustice [H]ardness Supreme

Can anyone check if the 12TBs (Easystore or Elements) here, or for that matter if "new" 8TB or 10TBs, are Helium drives? I know that certain 8TBs showed they were Helium drives (suggesting they were WD Gold or HGST He8 model based for the while labels) via checking in CrystalDiskInfo.

SamirD likes this.
  16. Ranulfo

Ranulfo [H]ard|Gawd

SamirD likes this.
  17. Luke M

Luke M Limp Gawd

WD makes air 8TB and 10TB drives (the 10TB is new this year), so it's certainly possible that they are shipping in externals. What the odds of getting one are, I have no idea.

SamirD likes this.
  18. SamirD

SamirD 2[H]4U

That's a lot of data being generated so I can see why you need bigger drives as they hit the market and why warranty won't mean much since you cycle them out before they even get a chance to wear. Yep, this place is great if you've got gear that needs a new home. (y)

19. SamirD

SamirD 2[H]4U

From pics and discussions on the servethehome forum, I believe it was concluded that they were very likely helium drives. The 12TB looks identical to a 14TB I had that was helium.

20. /dev/null

/dev/null [H]ardForum Junkie

You can also use TRIM on sparse files to reclaim space as well. Linux/LVM supports this...

Legendary Gamer likes this.
  21. Ranulfo

Ranulfo [H]ard|Gawd

Deal is active again in store and online for the 12tb. $179.99.

SamirD likes this.
  22. GreenOrbs

GreenOrbs Limp Gawd

YMMV but I was able to get 20% off on Samsung Pay. Looks like new Samsung pay accounts on devices not previously used are more likely to see it but yeah its an even sicker deal when combined with 5% off paypal from some credit cards. Comes out to $150 after tax for me instead of $200 after tax which is a pretty darned good $12.5/TB.

SamirD likes this.
  23. shaolin95

shaolin95 2[H]4U

I just got one today!
    I dont know if this is because it is empty but I put it on an OLD usb 3 dock and tested with Crystal Disk Mark..I got 204MB reads and 200MB write. That was VERY unexpected. I am guessing the moment it gets more data is going to drop a lot in speed, right?
    Anyways, if its this fast, I may just leave it on that dock and keep the 3TB drive internal I was going to remove. lol

SamirD likes this.
  24. drescherjm

drescherjm [H]ardForum Junkie

That is normal. A modern hard drive of this size should have > 200 MB /s large sequential reads and writes on the outer most tracks. However on the inner most tracks expect 1/2 of that.

SamirD likes this.
  25. Zepher

Zepher [H]ipster Replacement

When you tell your friend to shuck your 12TB Easystore, make sure they only take the drive out of the case, not shuck the internals from the drive.

IMG_3921.JPG IMG_3922.JPG

Hruodgar and Neapolitan6th like this.
  26. lightsout

lightsout [H]ard|Gawd

Is this a joke? That’s a lot of work to get to that point. Yikes

jmilcher, SamirD and drescherjm like this.
  27. SamirD

SamirD 2[H]4U

Looks like there's an aluminum brake caliper there. :eek:

28. Zepher

Zepher [H]ipster Replacement

yep, that is the first thing that popped into my head when I saw it.

SamirD likes this.
  29. SamirD

SamirD 2[H]4U

Ah, the merry intersection of cars and computers warms my heart. :love:

jmilcher likes this.
  30. shaolin95

shaolin95 2[H]4U

Funny thing is that copying a file to it it shows a more realistic speed and less than my other drives but when using CrystalMark it still shows faster than any of my non NVME drives.
    tempted to grab one more..heck..I was thinking on replacing all my Server 8TB drives but I am trying to not get carried away LOL

SamirD likes this.
  31. drescherjm

drescherjm [H]ardForum Junkie

Are you copying GB sized files to it from a SSD to the hard drive?

Also your 8 TB drives (unless they are SMR) should be close to 200MB/s with large sequential reads and writes in the outer tracks as well. It's been this fast for a few years since we have had larger than 1TB platters.

Here is a description of SMR:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shingled_magnetic_recording

Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
    SamirD likes this.
  32. caddys83

caddys83 2[H]4U

In for one today 12TB at $179.99 After Oklahoma tax came out to $195.51

33. Fremunaln

Fremunaln Limp Gawd

This price will become available every so often so dont worry if you miss out now

34. Spartacus09

Spartacus09 [H]ard|Gawd

True, but the lowest prices that are predictable have been BF/Xmas deals, its kinda random through out the year otherwise.

35. klank

klank Killer of Killer NIC Threadz

Its $179 right now at best buy

36. Spartacus09

Spartacus09 [H]ard|Gawd

The 8TB is $120 currently at BB

Fremunaln likes this.
  37. Fremunaln

Fremunaln Limp Gawd

14tbs are available now if anyones interested at non discounted rate

38. RanceJustice

RanceJustice [H]ardness Supreme

I can recall back in the day that there were platter issues with certain sized HDDs, notably the 3TB HDDs which had absolutely abysmal reliability compared to 2TB or 4TB etc... models. I'm to understand the 8TB models are good (for a shucked-storage use etc) and I presume the 10TB as well, but what about the 12TBs? I'm also curious which of them are "good version" in terms of cache, helium, and other bonuses.

Now to decide if its worth going for 8TBs for $120 (Though I've considered buying some of the used 8TBs from existing owners) or 12TBs for $180....

SamirD likes this.
  39. Spartacus09

Spartacus09 [H]ard|Gawd

All of the 8-12TB easystore appear to be the same HGST HE10 drives (I would think its a safe guess the 14s are too).

It all depends on your storage speed/space needs and redundancy, keep in mind if you're doing a raid setup with parity the larger the drive the longer the rebuild will take (and increased likely hood another drive will fail during rebuild).
    I have room in my cases for 20 drives, I only have half the slots filled with 8's and I have free space still.
    One of my coworkers is using 12's since he only has space for 7 drives, we have the same amount of usable space.

So thats the first questions what raid form do you need, whats your max drives, whats the max usable space you think you need?

SamirD likes this.