Best budget wireless adapter for desktop that does 450mbps?

Stiletto

Supreme [H]ardness
I'm looking at the Asus USB-AC56 right now, as I'd prefer a USB device that doesn't take up much room on the back of my rig. Wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a less expensive unit that performs well.

If you have a PCI-x slot, use that instead. Any particular reason you require USB?

I'd prefer less clutter at the back of my rig. I'd prefer a cord that leads to where I can place an antenna for optimum usage.

You want Wi-Fi problems? Because that's how you get wi-fi problems.

For a true 450mbps you will need at least three antennae. If it is constrained within a USB stick, that will greatly minimize your range and throughput. If you are close enough to your router that it won't make a difference, then just connect with an Ethernet cable.

An internal card will have removable antennae, and you can easily get antennae cables to reduce the clutter at the back of your computer, and place the antennae at the ideal location for connection. Quick search on Amazon found this. Some internal cards already come with a "detached" antennae that connects by an extension cable. This is the way to go if you want to avoid problems.

I deal with supporting wireless connection issues every day. If reliability is of any importance to you, this is not an area you want to "cheap out on."

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back