Best budget mATX case? $30-40

V4oLDbOY

Gawd
I am building a cheap pc, my first build. I was first planning on doing an atx board build, but since I dont need more than one PCI slot to be honest and the attraction of being able to use a smaller case I think I am going with a mATX board. I had previously chosen the Cooler Master 310 which is $40 shipped from amazon. If there is a comparable case around that price point, or lower that is a mATX could you point me in that direction. I'd prefer a mini tower, but open to other options. Want to keep this as cheap as possible though without buying straight crap.

yeah I saw the cooler master on a few sites. Looked good and I was going to get one anyways, so why not the mini tower.

I have an CM Elite 341 or my HTPC (in my sig) and everything fit nicely except with my full size videocard i cant access 1 of my sata ports with two more being a very tight fit. It has a 120mm fan in the back and allows for a 120 to be installed in the from front and 2 in the side door. That said having built a couple mATX and ATX systems i prefer the ATX because they have plenty of room work in and you have alot more flexibility if you want to add to and upgrade your system.

the mATX board I am interested in has the sata ports facing out on the side, a review said that this makes it so a full sized video card doesn't get in the way.

Honestly, I would just go with a mid tower, you never know if you will want to upgrade to an ATX mobo and you won't want to have to buy a new case.

CM 335 is $50 shipped

Honestly, I would just go with a mid tower, you never know if you will want to upgrade to an ATX mobo and you won't want to have to buy a new case.

CM 335 is $50 shipped

hmm, then maybe I'll just the cooler master 310 for $40.

But the bgears one looks very enticing. Its between those 2 as they are the same price.

Honestly $40 down the line I think is worth it to me to have a smaller case now, as I plan on keeping this build for a while, the only thing I would do is add on a video card. Other than that I cant see myself upgrading the actual mobo in less than 2 years or so even. Plus I can sell the case for a few bucks on craigslist if I want to change it.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
hmm, then maybe I'll just the cooler master 310 for $40.

But the bgears one looks very enticing. Its between those 2 as they are the same price.

Honestly $40 down the line I think is worth it to me to have a smaller case now, as I plan on keeping this build for a while, the only thing I would do is add on a video card. Other than that I cant see myself upgrading the actual mobo in less than 2 years or so even. Plus I can sell the case for a few bucks on craigslist if I want to change it.

If you don't get the upgrade bug often then yea you would be fine, I would honestly like a nice MATX case myself but I don't have the money to buy a nice p180 mini. CM makes good cases so you won't be disappointed by the quality (although I can't speak specifically for the 310).

EDIT: Btw you know the CM 310 isn't actually a mATX tower right? It's just a slightly smaller mid tower with mATX compatibility...
This is a real MATX tower: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...88&cm_re=cooler_master-_-11-119-088-_-Product

If you want to go even smaller, I just built this mini ITX system, amazingly small! DFI makes a P55 ITX I believe.

IMG_2243%20%28small%29.jpg

More pics.

I like the HEC series cases But you need to find them with Free Shipping for it to be worth it.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811121003

I use these almost exclusively now, they rock for the price. The nice thing about these is that they are leaps and bound better material wise than the cooler masters I was using before, centurion cases. However they do not have all the bells and whistles the CM cases have(screwless, larger fan openings). So quality or features, its a give or take situation.

Last edited:
Back