Best budget mATX case? $30-40

V4oLDbOY

Gawd
I am building a cheap pc, my first build. I was first planning on doing an atx board build, but since I dont need more than one PCI slot to be honest and the attraction of being able to use a smaller case I think I am going with a mATX board. I had previously chosen the Cooler Master 310 which is $40 shipped from amazon. If there is a comparable case around that price point, or lower that is a mATX could you point me in that direction. I'd prefer a mini tower, but open to other options. Want to keep this as cheap as possible though without buying straight crap.

V4oLDbOY

Gawd
yeah I saw the cooler master on a few sites. Looked good and I was going to get one anyways, so why not the mini tower.

Thanatos.

Gawd
I have an CM Elite 341 or my HTPC (in my sig) and everything fit nicely except with my full size videocard i cant access 1 of my sata ports with two more being a very tight fit. It has a 120mm fan in the back and allows for a 120 to be installed in the from front and 2 in the side door. That said having built a couple mATX and ATX systems i prefer the ATX because they have plenty of room work in and you have alot more flexibility if you want to add to and upgrade your system.

V4oLDbOY

Gawd
the mATX board I am interested in has the sata ports facing out on the side, a review said that this makes it so a full sized video card doesn't get in the way.

Shadowssong

[H]ard|Gawd
Honestly, I would just go with a mid tower, you never know if you will want to upgrade to an ATX mobo and you won't want to have to buy a new case.

CM 335 is $50 shipped

V4oLDbOY

Gawd
Honestly, I would just go with a mid tower, you never know if you will want to upgrade to an ATX mobo and you won't want to have to buy a new case.

CM 335 is $50 shipped

hmm, then maybe I'll just the cooler master 310 for $40.

But the bgears one looks very enticing. Its between those 2 as they are the same price.

Honestly $40 down the line I think is worth it to me to have a smaller case now, as I plan on keeping this build for a while, the only thing I would do is add on a video card. Other than that I cant see myself upgrading the actual mobo in less than 2 years or so even. Plus I can sell the case for a few bucks on craigslist if I want to change it.

Shadowssong

[H]ard|Gawd
hmm, then maybe I'll just the cooler master 310 for $40.

But the bgears one looks very enticing. Its between those 2 as they are the same price.

Honestly $40 down the line I think is worth it to me to have a smaller case now, as I plan on keeping this build for a while, the only thing I would do is add on a video card. Other than that I cant see myself upgrading the actual mobo in less than 2 years or so even. Plus I can sell the case for a few bucks on craigslist if I want to change it.

If you don't get the upgrade bug often then yea you would be fine, I would honestly like a nice MATX case myself but I don't have the money to buy a nice p180 mini. CM makes good cases so you won't be disappointed by the quality (although I can't speak specifically for the 310).

EDIT: Btw you know the CM 310 isn't actually a mATX tower right? It's just a slightly smaller mid tower with mATX compatibility...
This is a real MATX tower: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...88&cm_re=cooler_master-_-11-119-088-_-Product

Tahoe916

Gawd
If you want to go even smaller, I just built this mini ITX system, amazingly small! DFI makes a P55 ITX I believe.

IMG_2243%20%28small%29.jpg

More pics.

96redformula

2[H]4U
I like the HEC series cases But you need to find them with Free Shipping for it to be worth it.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811121003

I use these almost exclusively now, they rock for the price. The nice thing about these is that they are leaps and bound better material wise than the cooler masters I was using before, centurion cases. However they do not have all the bells and whistles the CM cases have(screwless, larger fan openings). So quality or features, its a give or take situation.

Last edited: