Best Brands?

Punisher77

Limp Gawd
I want to get an X1900XT but I can't decide on the brand. In the past I've gotten cards from Elsa, Chaintech and Saphire. I didn't like Chaintech and Saphire so I would like to stay away from them.

Are there any clear favourites?

IIRC, all the cards should be exactly the same, the only difference is the packaging and included software.

I don't know about clear favorites, but you should look for what the different brands bring to the table. Bundle, price, cooling, warranty...etc.

For ATI, the best brand - bar none - is Visiontek, as they are the ONLY ATI card manufacutrer that offers a lifetime warranty. And, believe it or not, they seem to be actually available, too! (It was like pulling teeth to find previous X1K-series cards from them)

Otherwise, Sapphire and Powercolor are fine. Sapphire, EQS, Connect3d, 'Built-By-ATI', GeCube, Powercolor, and several others' boards are all made by a Chinese firm called "PC Partners". AFAIK, all ATI cards except those by Visiontek, Gigabyte, MSI, and Asus are made by PC Partners (with the slight exception of the very few 'Made in Canada' Built-By-ATI cards that actually ARE built-by-ATI...but they are maybe one in a thousand of the ATI boards in the wild, and no way to know in advance where it came from).

PoTTeR83 said:
I don't know about clear favorites, but you should look for what the different brands bring to the table. Bundle, price, cooling, warranty...etc.
The biggest thing for me would be warranty. My last card started acting up in my system after 1 year 3 months, about 3 months after my warranty expired. :(
A lifetime warranty sounds like overkill but would be nice. I think 2 years would make me happy.

Back