Best brand of Riser Cable?

davidm71

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi guys,

Got a Corsair 240 Carbide case that is too small to fit a MSI 1060 video card. So getting a vertical gpu mounting bracket and need 400 mm of cable. So wonder what you guys think is the best pci-e riser cable out there? Worried about signal loss if I went with a 600mm cable such as the premium Thermaltake brand. What do you think?

Thanks

There's no doubt 3M Twin Axial is best, this came up often on the smal form factor side of this very froum. Priced accordingly (at 500mm, ~73 USD for x4 , ~80 for x8, close to 90 for x16). You don't need more than PCIe x4 for an 1060.

Well finally went with Thermaltake Premium brand 300mm long cable. I really wanted the Lian-Li and or the one by 3M but could not find them in stock any where.
Did a lot of research and read that the shorter the cable the better and the more shielded it is the better as well. So the first thing I did was experiment with the
orientation of my gpu being veritcally mounted. The MSI 1060 Gaming X is a monster in length and width. Finally to get it to fit I had to remove the front
two anterior fans inside the Corsair 240 Carbide case. Used a vertical mounting bracket my MNPCTech against a 120mm fan rail. Swear I almost didn't
need to use it because the video card could stand up almost on its own in there. My only concerns right now are cooling because I'm forced to use
two 80 mm fans and one 120mm high performance fan to exhaust the air out at the rear. Heres a photo. What do you guys think:

Photo%20Oct%2030%2C%207%2056%2036%20PM.jpg

Well finally went with Thermaltake Premium brand 300mm long cable. I really wanted the Lian-Li and or the one by 3M but could not find them in stock any where.
Did a lot of research and read that the shorter the cable the better and the more shielded it is the better as well. So the first thing I did was experiment with the
orientation of my gpu being veritcally mounted.

You sir, are evil. I was going to do that kind of thing with my radiator but now I'm thinking that a video card there would probably look better and be more beneficial for airflow. I'm going to have to try it...

I know I'm evil. Going to digital hell one of these days but I thought F it.. you only live once.

About the riser cable I waited on ordering it so its not installed yet. Didn't know what length I would need.

Hopefully it can be neatly wrapped around the heatsink. Only wish I had front facing fans though I'm betting
my gpu temps will be awesome. The other hurdle now is connecting a video cable so my only option is
hdmi. Found a flat connecting hdmi cable on Amazon for that purpose and going to route the other
end to the empty pci-slot..

Thanks.

Heres a pic of the hdmi cable:

71lT4FjLhGL._SL1500_.jpg

The length of the riser cable is irrelevant as long as you have a shielded cable you should be able to do anything you want.

Linus did a pretty cool video where he took a titan and if I remember correctly didn't have any issues till he hit like an incredible 15 feet of riser cable.

Reactions: _l_
like this
I read there was debate on the length of the cable where 8 inches was the official max length but for like 95 % it should be ok.
Though I wonder if the cable can be twirled and twisted around bends?

Finally finished and here is the final product. I had to go with the original 120 mm cpu fan that came with the Thermalright heatsink. Could not flex the pci-e riser cable onto the video card slot edge with the 'old' Corsair 140 mm fan. I swear there was barely any room. Got to say that the Thermaltake riser cable feels like a solid product but not as flexible as advertised. Each one of the five sections of the cable feel like sata cables. Happy with end result.

Photo%20Nov%2002%2C%2012%2027%2027%20PM.jpg

Im glad your happy with the result...but i wouldnt want what looks like 5 flat cables like that going across my case..at least i can rule out these choices for my own next build. If all you could see is the card it be different. (could swear i have seen cases like that) Good question on the right angle part?

Yeah I ordered the 90 degree adapter. Personally I like the look. As the cabled spread out I think air flow should still pass through. I suppose the 3M cable would have looked nicer being all silver. Though it works for me.

I used this MCPCTech mounting bracket:
how-to-mount-gpu-video-riser-vertical-horizontal-mount-stage-1-black-mod-mnpctech.jpg

and fastened it on the 120mm fan mounting rails that were part of the Corsair Carbide 240 inner frame. I had to make a few changes though to the build. For one I bought a 90 degree pci-e riser adapter so the riser cable is no longer squeezed up against the cpu cooler. The second thing was that skinny thin HDMI adapter was not capable of carrying the video signal for my Oculus Rift. Its now sitting in a drawer. Instead I cut open a little access box into the meshing on the top door of the case so the hdmi cable can be plugged in from the Oculus. My monitor however is running through the iGpu port. Had to use a ghost emulator DP adapter to turn on the Nvidia 1060 GPU. Now for the most part the Oculus Rift is working but you have to extend your displays together for video to play through the Rift. I have also found some apps will only run if they start off loading when the Nvidia gpu is the primary GPU. I found a trick using Display Fusion to pull that off.

Only other problem I have is my motherboard not supporting HDCP 2.2. Should have done better research before purchasing the motherboard or not gone with a cheap board. Not that I have a 4K screen or anything so no big deal.

Photo%20Dec%2009%2C%201%2058%2016%20PM.jpg

I read there was debate on the length of the cable where 8 inches was the official max length

official max length according to whom?

try this video

or this one for max length calculations

Last edited:
Didnt feel like chancing it. Besides it all worked out well as far as i was concerned.

Back