best board purely for overclock/dollar

MrWizard6600

Supreme [H]ardness
I've had my head so throughly stuck up in software land for such a long amount of time now that I've lost all touch with what hardware's worth its salt. And it saddens me to see that DFI has exited the market since I was buying motherboards.

My desktop PC, the one in my signature, died about a week and a half ago (its a wierd death too). I was going to try to hold out for bulldozer, but with my courses gearing up I really need my desktop back.

So I'm wondering, purely from an overclocking standpoint, what do you guys think is the best SandyBridge ready board out there?

I dont care about SATA III, (although a single sata III port would be nice), I dont care about crossfire, I dont care about audio quality, none of that stuff, what I want is a motherboard with digial PWM capable of delivering 300A of quality power to the CPU, and doing this for 5 years+.

I have sketchy plans to put this board and the CPU in it underwater. I've got the gear and I've modded the case to mount it, but I want to polish it all up (protips for a poor college kid polishing acrylic would be appreciated too) and I'll need to find the time to do that + make and bleed the loop, but it also means I might reject suggestions if the mounting holes for the north-bridge wont take my block.

IE, I'm looking for a BloodIron board.

--PS AMD recomendations are also welcome, but if AMD slides on this new rumored Oct 12 deadline I really will be abandoning all hope of buying a bulldozer board.

thanks for any help!

AMD's release date is pretty much carved in stone. Of course, there's no official word out yet, but based on the comments of other people and Kyle, we can safely assume that it will be out on October 12.

The Crosshair V is the top board on the AMD side. Or maybe the Gigabyte 990FXA-UD7. I know some Gigabyte boards come with a waterblock stock. All current AMD boards come with at least 6 SATA III ports.

Best board on the Intel side is the Maximus IV Extreme or Extreme-Z, if you want the Z68 features. All Sandy Bridge boards come with at least 2 SATA III ports. Same recommendation goes for the Gigabyte UD5 and UD7. I believe Gigabyte has also come out with a special G2 sniper Z68 board.

Back