Best Blank DVD Media

Kenworth

2[H]4U
A while back a very kind hearted forum member led me to a great webpage with all the blank DVD media rated put together in pretty well put together manner. Apparently the mods around here cleaned up that thread. Can I please get that and bookmark it this time around. I am running low again and I want to make sure to buy the good stuff.

I know there are websites out there that rate this stuff but that page was outstanding.

When I researched. Verbatim. They have a very stable dye that they use. Also go with +R for slightly better error correction.

Don't forget that in brick and mortar stores, Taiyo Yuden takes the name of JVC now. So if you go to Bestbuy, Frys, etc., JVC media is most likely rebranded Taiyo Yuden discs.

Don't forget that in brick and mortar stores, Taiyo Yuden takes the name of JVC now. So if you go to Bestbuy, Frys, etc., JVC media is most likely rebranded Taiyo Yuden discs.

how can you tell? is it made in Japan vs some other country?

I've been using Ridata for years now and have had no issues.

I have some Verbatim DL +R discs that only work in my LG BD/HD-DVD/DVD-R drive, won't burn or read in my Pioneer drive. really strange.

Actually yeah, that's one way I go about telling. TYs are made in japan. I remember buying a cakebox that said that. By now though it's possible that all JVC media is TY made.

The reason I trust TY so much is I've done a lot of research off of the cdfreaks forums. Those guys really know their dvd burners/dvd media. I have TY discs burned 5 yrs ago which give a 90+ rating in nerodiscspeed.

A while back a very kind hearted forum member led me to a great webpage with all the blank DVD media rated put together in pretty well put together manner. Apparently the mods around here cleaned up that thread. Can I please get that and bookmark it this time around. I am running low again and I want to make sure to buy the good stuff.

I know there are websites out there that rate this stuff but that page was outstanding.

cdfreaks, buts it's not around any more. It's now www.myce.com/.

My 2cents on media is buy cheap and something with a good solid top coating so it doesn't chip. I still have some of my old circuit city red and white disk around. My fav. cheap stuff is Office depo dvd+r.

http://www.digitalfaq.com/reviews/dvd-media.htm

Taiyo Yuden hands down. Will never trust Ridata's again after half a spindle turned out to be coasters.

When I reseached this Verbatim came out on top. Their AZO dye is very stable. Note that in your link they are also number one. They are also easier to find.

I only tried Taiyo Yuden -R disks but apparently burner didn't like them too much. I had issues. I think TY is over-rated.

Since I have burned well over 100 Verbatims with 100% success. All +R disks and I always burn with verify on.

Alright, well I bought a 50pk of TY +R's and also have a 50pk of Verbatim+R's (because they were free). I don't know how I will do it scientifically but I will give both a chance for a while.

Verbatim definitely for the DL discs. I think it's the Made in Singapore that use a better dye than the Japan or China made.

for single-layer, definitely Taiyo Yuden. Although I haven't read up much on the Verbatim SL discs.

TY's and Verbatim's - no reason to waste money on any of the other brands unless it was given to you as a gift :D

But you need to make sure not to get the cheap Verbatims, those are primarily CMC Magnetics and Ritek media discs, as many people discover after buying them. The Verbatims that people need to look for will be noticeably more expensive.

Last week Fry's was selling 100 packs of Verbatim media for $12.99, and while it seems like a good price, the media was all CMC Magnetics, not great stuff at all. The cheapest actual Verbatim manufactured media that Fry's carries is still around $27 for a 50 pack so, be careful with that stuff.

And some Verbatim branded media is made by Taiyo Yuden, as well. Go figure. ;)

I have purchased about 300 Verbatim DVD+ AZO disks over the past 2 years at various outlets. All had the AZO logo on the package, all were made in Taiwan. They have all been legit MCC 004 codes. These are real high quality AZO disks.

This is the first I have heard of Riteks. Where they DVD- disks? Did they lack the AZO logo?? Where were they made?

I would stick with DVD+ disks, Taiwan manufacture, AZO on package. So far all these that I have seen are legit.

Yah, the Verbatim packaging is missing the AZO logo on them, that's the first tip off that I look for, and the second is obviously the pricing. ;)

I WISH I could get Verbatim AZO or TY media (DVD+R is all I use, ever) for $13/100 but that ain't happening... no way in hell that media will ever be that cheap.

TY is better than Verbatim marginally but Verbatim is available every other store. If I desperately needed DVDs, I could hop on Amazon and score a good deal any other day and get 2 day delivery of my Verbatims. So thus I stick with Verbatim. Too much hassle to order from other sites to get TYs... or to play lottery going to stores and looking for Made in Japan to look for rebranded TYs.

True, but you have to get the right kind of Verbatim, meaning the AZO labeled ones. All the other Verbatim stuff, especially in the plain white wrapping (the AZO labeled packages are the familiar purple wrap), can be made by anybody and more often than not it's just craptastic Ritek F16 stuff.

So... the color of the packaging matters in that respect: look for the purple, then look directly for the letters AZO on it. If that's not there, pass on it...

True, but you have to get the right kind of Verbatim, meaning the AZO labeled ones.

Well it is pretty simple to look for AZO on the label. Also I haven't really seen much proof that TY is really any better. I had fairly bad luck with TY DVD-R (not +R which I couldn't even find).

TY is better than Verbatim marginally but Verbatim is available every other store. If I desperately needed DVDs, I could hop on Amazon and score a good deal any other day and get 2 day delivery of my Verbatims. So thus I stick with Verbatim. Too much hassle to order from other sites to get TYs... or to play lottery going to stores and looking for Made in Japan to look for rebranded TYs.

What hassle? There is no extra hassle at all......... It's the exact same buying procedure.............

I need some "Archival" quality discs for transferring older content, both digital and analog, so quality is important, and I hear that Taiyo Yuden / JVC is still the way to go. It seems a pity that Taiyo Yuden doesn't make DVD+RWs,or even +R's DL and aside from SuperMediaStore, it is difficult to find +R's.

If I'm correct, when it comes to TY (Now JVC), the "Silver" type are better than the "White/Waterproof" type, correct? Is there a difference between "Silver" and "Shiny Silver" in terms of quality, or is that just aesthetics? Likewise is "Silver Inkjet Printable" still the high quality line, or the value line? I am assuming both "Silver Thermal" and "Shiny Silver Thermal" are high-end.

For the versions that TY doesn't make, does anyone know if Verbatim's AZO (Thanks for the tip about the purple pack, by the way) are made in India along with the rest of their line? I hear the move really lowered quality standards across the board, but I am hoping that AZO is different, being the best they offer.

With Verbatim AZO in mind, are these the best possible DVD+R DL for archival purposes, and the best DVD+RW for frequent rewrites, such as using them "DVR"-style in a set-top DVD-recorder to pull down (admittedly compressed, Comcast, 720p) HD programming? On Amazon (or anywhere I've found in stock), I can't seem to find any modern DVD+RW with AZO/purplebox tags, only SERL yellow-box? I've not bought RW's for ages, so this may be the norm for +RW media?

Last edited:
TY did make +R but they were harder to find. I ended up with TY -R and actually did not have good luck with them.

I think the Verbatim AZO is the way to go. I have never had an issue with them and they are widely recommended. The +R standard also has slightly better error correction.

I wouldn't use +RW media for anything. So I can't help you there.

Thanks. I don't think I'll have any problem getting either some AZO +R DL's for archival use or TY Silver +Rs, but I still am going to need some sort of RW. I can't justify throwing away an entire disc whenever someone wants to record a TV show.

So does anyone have ideas regarding the very best DVD+-RWs on the market (I am assuming +RW will be better thanks to better error correction, just like with +R)?

Thanks. I don't think I'll have any problem getting either some AZO +R DL's for archival use or TY Silver +Rs, but I still am going to need some sort of RW. I can't justify throwing away an entire disc whenever someone wants to record a TV show.

So does anyone have ideas regarding the very best DVD+-RWs on the market (I am assuming +RW will be better thanks to better error correction, just like with +R)?

RWs arnt for archival use. Id be looking at -R or +Rs.

I'm starting to wonder if I got a bad spindle of Verbatim AZO discs at the rate I'm cranking out blanks on 2 different burners no less.

I guess it's possible, just frustrating.

Gonna try to find some TY's to mess with and another pack of the VB AZO's from a local store just to see.

In the past, the Verbatim's were always my first choice for local, easy to find media.

Back