Best "big" monitor for an entuxiast (but not hardcore) gamer?

Bestio

n00b
I would like to buy a "big" monitor for mullti purpose, gaming, amateur computer graphics, and video/photo editing.

I consider myself a videophile, it think the visual quality is very important, even if I use also a projector for movies and some games.
There are many interesting proposals on the market, each with interesting features but it is very difficult to find the right compromise.
I'm not an FPS player, but don't want a too slow display, I like racing, flight and space sim, where input lag could be important too.

The monitors that most attract me are the following:

BenQ BL3200pt (or Samsung S32D850)
Pros: unique 32' 2560x1440 AMVA panel, for great contrast ratio and black depth, no IPS Glow.
Cons: pretty high latency, over 30ms in some reviews like Prad.

LG 34UM95 (or incoming AOC u3477Pqu / Dell U3415W)
Pros: unique 34'' AH-IPS 3440x1440, decent input lag (18ms).
Cons: IPS glow seems to be very strong.

Eizo FlexScan EV2736W
Pros: Very Good 27'' PLS panel, decent input lag (18ms), very low glow, almost imperceptible.
Cons: I don't see many cons on this display, but I just would like a little bigger display.

Asus ROG SWIFT PG278Q
Pros: Unique 27'' 2560x1440 144hz display, Gsync, very low latency
Cons: TN panel with all his color shift flaws, it seems too expensive for a "TN", (but of course it is the only one with these features), needs great "GPU power" to take full advantage of 1440p@144hz

waiting for Asus PA328Q
Pros: 32'' 4k AHVA panel, maybe at good price.
Cons: real price, input lag, IPS glow, is still unknown, needs great "GPU power" to handle it

My PC is an i7 2600k@5ghz, 16gb ram, GF 780ti 3gb (but ready to add another one for SLI or upgrade with next generation GPU depending on the convenience)

I apologize if I opened a new topic, but I did not want bother you more in the topic dedicated to the respective monitors. :)

Last edited:
BenQ 32". Less lag and no ips glow vs LG ultrawide (i want bigger screen not just in few movies but also in work/browsing/games, not horizontally stretched 27" one which would give me less pros/more cons. On LG also more powerful gpu is needed to push same fps). Asus is fine, but more fit for more hardcore gamers, to which it's pros are more important and cons - less. In two years i'd add to that list some 4K displays/gpus of that future time.

I'm considering the same thing, with the exception of the 4k. I don't think 4k is going to fit your needs as an all purpose display at all, that's still a generation or two out from being viable.

It feels like one of the most unique times in display technology as there are really a lot of choices that will really impact what you get.

Do you gamble on a 21:9 and hope you run across enough apps/game/media that can make use of it?

Do you get a giant screen (32) only to regret the extra head/eye movement?
(input lag is overstated for an all purpose screen)

Do you get the 'ultra fast' gaming monitor only to hate the image quality?

Do you go the 'safe' route and get a basic all rounder (27)?
(input lag is overstated for most all rounders. Also, getting a 'cherry picked' perfect monitor like TFT's seems unlikely. Don't limit yourself to the Eizo for this class)

The last time we had choices like this was during resolution transition periods, even then it was only 1 choice: CRT to a (20) lcd, and then 1050 to 1080/1200 to 1440 (arguably, outside of all purpose displays, the 1440 question is still valid ).

BTW, i now have that Benq, and no extra head/eye movement to suffer from/get used to/regret. But even on 27" it replaced i usually worked with part on screen having several not maximized windows side by side (eg. browser windows), so nothing changed from that, except that windows now can be higher, and more fit side by side. I still focus/work with one. Gaming/lag seemed very enjoyable (mostly single player rpg-s & flightsimulators, no hardcore competitive fps games, except Stalker (also played single player)). Again felt no limitations/discomfort, on contrary, "same as before, but better".

if you're considering monitors as expensive as those why not just get a perfect pixel, 120 hz guaranteed korean panel?

The ultrawide LG would be great for productivity in my opinion, but not so great for games. There are too many games that lack proper Hor+ FoV behavior even with 16:9 aspect ratios, let alone a 21:9 aspect ratio. I'm still considering one of these myself if the PG278Q doesn't deliver. The WSGF has a lot of great tools and solutions to get proper widescreen behavior in a lot of games. The only other issue I have is I think this still would not be big enough for me. I think 27" is just good enough for me sitting 3-4 feet away, so I would like to step into something bigger if I decide not to get the PG278Q. While the LG is a lot wider, it is slightly shorter than a 27" 16:9. I would prefer a 32" 16:9 like the BenQ with decent input lag.

I have the BenQ and have yet to notice input lag. I am not sensitive to it I guess. As a gaming monitor I think it's just great. For regular work it's also amazing. Text is clear, and all that screen real estate is perfect.

The resolution is such that you can drive it with one high end card.

I would get it and you won't be sorry. Best tech purchase I have made in awhile, and I am always buying.lol

I think 32' 2560x1440 AMVA is the betterchoice for me, I just wish it was a little more responsive.
I hope to find a review with input lag measurement also for the 32-inch from Samsung and Qnix.

if you're considering monitors as expensive as those why not just get a perfect pixel, 120 hz guaranteed korean panel?

I tried a Crossover 2735amg, beautiful colors and very responsive for a 1440p IPS, but he had really strong glow effect, it was very annoying to play dark games, even worse space simulators like X3 (and the incoming Elite Dangerous/Star Citizen), I can't accept that yellow haloes who replace the black of the cosmos.
I know that PLS panels by samsung have minor ips-glow compared to AH-IPS panels from LG, but I'm afraid to risk again.

It's the same reason because I don't have purchased the LG 34UM95 yet, I like 21:9 ratio and I could do with just one monitor the things now I do with dual display, but the IPS-Glow scares me too much.

If Qnix will make a bypassed and fastest version of QX320QHD, it should be very interesting...

Back