Best Bias lighting strips for 2018?

Comixbooks

Fully [H]
Ok like 6-7 years ago I picked up like 6-7 sets of Antec soundscience strips fast foward to today most of them are brittle because the vinyl they are printed on is stiff I had to toss one of them out and put the rest in zip lock like bags.I probablly tossed out 2-3 of them already cause the USB has to be connected manually

I picked some colored ones up at Walmart with a remote but they bother me so I just used them on the Gaming monitor.

Does anyone have any experience with these things seems some colors just bother me more then the white leds alone.

Last edited:
Bias lighting is supposed to be a very specific and accurate color, why are you getting stuff with a bunch of colors on them?

Recommended around 6500k spectrum. I use a single 3 LED unit of these double stickied to back of monitor. Had to tape off half of a couple of the LEDs with a piece of electrical tape because it was too bright for me, I don't like it too bright. Been using them for a few years now, behind the HT TV as well. Work great, can use a 12v dc power adapter you may have laying around to power it. (Mine plugged into a remote control switch)

What are the recommended elements of properly implemented bias lighting?

1. The color of light should be as close as possible to the video white point of 'CIE D65' (loosely referred to as 6500 Kelvins) for color video viewing ['D50,' the 'E' point, or ~5400K in other specific applications].
2. The color rendering index (CRI) is often published for a given lamp. A minimum CRI of 90 out of 100 is recommended for color reference applications.
3. The illumination should originate from behind the frontal plane of the screen to avoid reflections, haze, and glare (which interfere with, contaminate, and obscure the image).
4. The lamp itself should not be directly visible to the viewer, but rather the illumination should be reflected by surrounding surfaces, such as the wall behind the monitor.
5. The brightness of the reflected illumination should be 10% or less of the brightest white the monitor is adjusted to (calibrated for a dark environment).
6. Surrounding surfaces within the observer's field of view of the monitor screen should be neutral in color (gray to white), see: Munsell Color Order System's neutral value scale.
7. Completely surrounding the monitor screen with illumination is not necessary to realize the principle benefits of the technique.
8. It usually works best for the lamp to be mounted on the back of the monitor or TV cabinet (rather than on the wall), in order for the illumination to spread out over some distance.
9. Test patterns for adjusting bias lighting relative to the monitor screen are available in many optical disc programs for setting up home entertainment systems (see: 'Avia II- Guide to Home Theater,' 'Digital Video Essentials' series, etc.).

What are the proven benefits of correctly implemented bias lighting?

1. Reduces or eliminates eye strain and viewing fatigue in dark viewing conditions.
2. Eliminates image contamination due to reflections, haze and glare on the screen from conventional room lighting.
3. Enhances perceived black levels, contrast ratio, and picture detail by enabling dark adapted viewing.
4. Preserves correct color perception of the video image by the viewer.
5. Prolongs monitor phosphor life by enabling dark room viewing and lowering of screen brightness requirements (phosphors are used in CRTs, plasmas, and LCDs with CCF or white LED back lighting).
6. Provides a low level of illumination in the room for movement and peripheral activities.

Bias Lighting info

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I've had good luck so far with Inspired LED LLC products. You can buy them on Amazon, too.

Hey just picked up some luminoodle bias lights these things are great just running it across in a strip on the back of my 24"
The colored RGB ones I picked up at Walmart the white was too blue and all the colors
just made my eyes hurt these are 6000K in temp and about twice as bright as a Antec Halo 5 strip which I have been using since 2011. These are designed to be plugged into the monitor so when it switches on it turns on automatically but not sure if I want to do that cause where my USB port is located.

Recommended around 6500k spectrum. I use a single 3 LED unit of these double stickied to back of monitor. Had to tape off half of a couple of the LEDs with a piece of electrical tape because it was too bright for me, I don't like it too bright. Been using them for a few years now, behind the HT TV as well. Work great, can use a 12v dc power adapter you may have laying around to power it. (Mine plugged into a remote control switch)

What are the recommended elements of properly implemented bias lighting?

1. The color of light should be as close as possible to the video white point of 'CIE D65' (loosely referred to as 6500 Kelvins) for color video viewing ['D50,' the 'E' point, or ~5400K in other specific applications].
2. The color rendering index (CRI) is often published for a given lamp. A minimum CRI of 90 out of 100 is recommended for color reference applications.
3. The illumination should originate from behind the frontal plane of the screen to avoid reflections, haze, and glare (which interfere with, contaminate, and obscure the image).
4. The lamp itself should not be directly visible to the viewer, but rather the illumination should be reflected by surrounding surfaces, such as the wall behind the monitor.
5. The brightness of the reflected illumination should be 10% or less of the brightest white the monitor is adjusted to (calibrated for a dark environment).
6. Surrounding surfaces within the observer's field of view of the monitor screen should be neutral in color (gray to white), see: Munsell Color Order System's neutral value scale.
7. Completely surrounding the monitor screen with illumination is not necessary to realize the principle benefits of the technique.
8. It usually works best for the lamp to be mounted on the back of the monitor or TV cabinet (rather than on the wall), in order for the illumination to spread out over some distance.
9. Test patterns for adjusting bias lighting relative to the monitor screen are available in many optical disc programs for setting up home entertainment systems (see: 'Avia II- Guide to Home Theater,' 'Digital Video Essentials' series, etc.).

What are the proven benefits of correctly implemented bias lighting?

1. Reduces or eliminates eye strain and viewing fatigue in dark viewing conditions.
2. Eliminates image contamination due to reflections, haze and glare on the screen from conventional room lighting.
3. Enhances perceived black levels, contrast ratio, and picture detail by enabling dark adapted viewing.
4. Preserves correct color perception of the video image by the viewer.
5. Prolongs monitor phosphor life by enabling dark room viewing and lowering of screen brightness requirements (phosphors are used in CRTs, plasmas, and LCDs with CCF or white LED back lighting).
6. Provides a low level of illumination in the room for movement and peripheral activities.

Bias Lighting info
3 full sets ot these ?!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/7W-30-led-...038852?hash=item2f1020a944:g:pVEAAOSw56NaI6Pl

that is 90 led lights. Isn't t way too bright? I would also make some bias lighting for hp 27ea but it does not have any usb ports so it would need to draw power from power socket, convert to dc with power supply and also have a on off switch. it's over my head :p

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
3 full sets ot these ?!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/7W-30-led-...038852?hash=item2f1020a944:g:pVEAAOSw56NaI6Pl

that is 90 led lights. Isn't t way too bright? I would also make some bias lighting for hp 27ea but it does not have any usb ports so it would need to draw power from power socket, convert to dc with power supply and also have a on off switch. it's over my head :p

No sir, just a single 3 LED unit of the 10 units shown there, just clip it off and wire it up, can use the others for your TV(s) or whatever.

I picked up two sets of Luminoodles from their that I ordered. Then they sent me 4 more sets for kicks I guess lol didn't have to pay for them. I think they forgot to send a shipping email and Mark Cuban got lost in the translation. These are my favorite Bias lights since Antec Soundscience stopped making their kit a few years back. They have a dimmer but they stopped selling it for some reason going to look into one.

When cheap Bias lights don't do the trick....... Bought some Monsters at Walmart for 4.19 each and well even though they seem nice the bothered me after a day or so not sure if there is a break in period or whatever. I still think the Best ones are the Soundscience Bias lights by Antec but I think they stopped making the small size.
57423116_2708247929192169_6916791663360737280_n.jpg

Back