Pop_

n00b
Hi...everyone, which one of your pick in best bass headphone category -
NAD - VISO HP50, Beyerdynamic T51i, HIFIMAN HE400S and PHILIPS X2/27 Fidelio..in under $300 category.? Thanx

Everyone says Bayerdynamics tend to be bass heavy without being shit from what I've seen, so that's the route I'd go.

yep..that's pretty close to my observation..how about Hi-Fi Man.?..thanxx

just bought some Denon AH-D600's and they are bassy and sound great. They used to be $400+ but they were recently discontinued and I got a new pair for $279.

Beyerdynamics are good but you also need a good headphone amp to drive most of their headphones.

That's cool..Panasonic is a worthy product, what is yourmopinion about Hi-Fi Man headphones.?

HE400S review with measurements. Are you looking for emphasized quantity of bass or quality or both? If you're just looking for bass cannons, these guys might be your best resource. All sorts of crazy things going on in that thread, like the sheer bass from headphones blowing around paper. The V-moda M-100 is a well liked basshead can that's within your budget. Now, if you're after something more balanced, I'd say Oppo PM3 or the Fostex TH-X00 - both of which are a little over your budget. The more moderately priced ATH M50X might be a good option as well.

That's pretty well landscape...definately bass with quality going to create the right desired effect..the ATH & OPPO are in consideration and the Fostex need a view. The suggested thread is quite good, most of brands math the expactations, but bit more on price. HiFiMan could also be in scheme.thnx

DT770's were bass heavy and pretty damn comfy when I owned them. I've got the Fostex X00's and I love them.

Another vote for the crossfade m-100's with upgraded memory foam ear pads.

Here's a comparison between the normal ear pads and the upgraded ones
20151017_155921882_iOS.jpg

They're definitely worth the upgrade.

If you order off the V-Moda website they include a set of additional "shields" in either laser engraved aluminium or 3D printed fiber which if you happen to have a favorite logo or design of some sort you can have etched into the back cover plates. Here's a video of the ones I got. This is the Crossfade Wireless which to me sound close enough to as good as the M-100's connected to any of my devices, but the M-100's would undoubtedly sound better if they had a discrete amp connected to them, and the wireless version can be used with a wire if desired, but aesthetically they're identical.

Some people might think the custom shields are a big gimmicky but I rather enjoy my custom set. V-Moda is an interesting company to me since, at least I think, they've found an interesting nexus between function, form and value. If you want headphones with good bass that don't really sacrifice the mids or highs to get it and you don't care about how they look, V-Moda Crossfire M-100's (or Wireless if that's your thing) are a solid option. If you want headphones with good bass that don't really sacrifice the mids or highs, and the idea of customizing them to your liking appeals to you, the Crossfires can't be beat.

Sony makes a good bass set of headphones.Tried some at Best Buy the other day . They had good all around sound.

just bought some Denon AH-D600's and they are bassy and sound great. They used to be $400+ but they were recently discontinued and I got a new pair for $279.
+1 I have a dedicated pair for use at work plugged into an Onkyo TX-SR606 (overkill, but I had a spare around), fed by S/PDIF from DP.
Pure audio bliss in the cube farm :)

That is one amazing way to escape the world while working!
They used to allow our own personal machines at work (though hardly anyone did so), so I had a 3770K @ 4.4GHz and modded X-Fi.
Now stuck using a ThinkPad T540p, so I figured I would compensate :p

What's "good bass" headphones? It's subjective. For some it's neutral response, others think the heavier the better. :)

I personally swear by my M-Audio Q40 for its tight and punchy and controlled bass response, especially for its price. I've tried 8x expensier headphones which I liked less.

Generally open headphones will offer less impact, although Hifiman or should I say Planar magnetic headphones typically contain nice punch and impact for their not overly emphasized bass response.

The Panasonics mentioned in the thread is quite good for the price no doubt but they have somewhat poor build quality (the Diaphragm can sometimes get stuck in wrong position and you have to blow it back into place). The highs lack slight resolution but they have a very involving listening experience, especially with modern pop and maybe even jazz and genres like that which are more vocal focused.

Last edited:
+1 I have a dedicated pair for use at work plugged into an Onkyo TX-SR606 (overkill, but I had a spare around), fed by S/PDIF from DP.
Pure audio bliss in the cube farm :)
I just bought a Schiit Asgard 2 to pair with my D600's, interested to see what kind of difference it will make with a lower impedence set of cans like the Denons

Ultrasone Pro-900. Price on it dropped significantly in the last year too.
Amazon link

I've also heard the V-Moda M100. Bass impact is nice but the overall sound is too muddy.
Hi-Fi Man will require an amp and, imo, they are too heavy to wear more than half an hour at a time.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I bought about 2 years ago AKG 518LE and I'm very satisfied. Actually I even tried Beats by DRE from my friend I in my opinion AKG is better. I see that they discounted my model but they probably has newer and even better models. Bass is really cool.

I recently purchased some vmode crossfade wireless headphones and put XL cup pads on them.. I have to say the bass is very good. They don't quite go as low as my Sony MDR-XB950BT or Sony MRR-x10 but they are VERY poweful and the mids and highs are superior to the Sonys I have. I haven't fully broken them in yet, I am still not sure that "breaking in" does anything but I do like these CFW a lot. They sound pretty amazing for a set of BT cans. The detail of the sound is excellent while having slamming bass too.

Damn it. Another necro thread, I just liked a comment from June 2016.

I would like to recommend Sennheiser, No compromise over quality.

Really? Why did you comment on this, clearly (as I like it without reading the dates) it's over a year old.

I would like to recommend Sennheiser, No compromise over quality.
No compromise my a*s. The Momentum cups are uncomfortable for anyone who doesn't have dwarf ears, and I'm talking about the over-ear models, even the 2.0.

I just missed the Massdrop Fostex TH-X00 though :(
Oh well, might pickup a used pair of D2000 or D600.

Last edited:
You cant go wrong with the Sony MDRXB800 Extra Bass Over-Ear!

The older generation Sony XB's (xb500 & xb700) were great sounding as well as very comfortable. The only option for the 700's is splurging to every price hiker if you can afford it nowadays.

I like the design of Hifiman HE400S more. Would go with that. Besides it has better ratings on amazon: here http://**************/2slUef8

Having now auditioned a lot of different headphones the vmoda m-100 / cfw (I think they are the same driver) hold up amazingly well against a lot of others for raw power cranked into your head along with very decent clarity. I am using my HE560 as a clarity / detail hallmark but were not as punchy on the low end as I had hoped. The cfw are my dedicated portable headphones hands down. I leave them plugged in a lot unless I need wireless freedom. The XL pads are a must with them for me personally.

Back