Best Bang For Your Buck 64 Overclocker??? Gaming???

SquiDDy

Limp Gawd
ok, my sysem is almost dead, cripled by lightning, and im looking to upgrade to a 64 setup

ive been out of the hardware loop since i built my last rig, and now i need some help :D

my question is, what is the best processor for the money?? i want to get a good stable overlclock out of this, and i dont want to pay an arm and a leg for it

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=13-136-147&DEPA=1

currently, i am looking at this motherboard, as it has all the features that i woudl like, and its a good price, and i really liked my DFI ultra infinity nf2, to bad its fried now :(

i had a big long post with all my current specs and a story but it got lost somewhere inbetween posting :(

also, if any one knows of a good cooler for my new setup, feel free to chime in :D

If you can hold out a little longer, I'd SAY wait for Venice to come out, so that the NewCastle/Winchester Prices drop on the 939 sockets. Then pick yourself a 3200+ Winchester since the Venice will be priced higher, and won't be too worth it just for a little less energy consumption/lower temps.

Then find yourself a good 939 Mobo, Might I suggest the widely favorite MSI K8n Neo 2 Plat.

that's a good board. i have one myself. though it means you have to get a s754 chip. i would recommend either a 3400+ mobile or 3700+ ;)
as for the heatsink, a zalman cnps-7000 cu would do quite well, and be quiet too.

yup. read my sig ;)
should be around the same price too, but expect a bit of price inflation from vendors due to demand

If you can front the cash for it, socket 939 is the way to go for a big upgrade. With socket 939 you get a better future upgrade path and PCI-X support(PCI-X will replace AGP). If you plan on holding onto your current AGP vid card, you should go socket 754 because those boards are all AGP as far as I know.

The Bryophyte said:
If you can front the cash for it, socket 939 is the way to go for a big upgrade. With socket 939 you get a better future upgrade path and PCI-X support(PCI-X will replace AGP). If you plan on holding onto your current AGP vid card, you should go socket 754 because those boards are all AGP as far as I know.

i see, well i dont want to dump my current card for financial reasons, so i think im going to go the 754 route

so have a i made a wise choice of processor?

Retro Rex said:
don't be sorry, He's an idiot.

how is he an idiot, its a simple shortening of the word express

get out of my thread if your gonna just troll about and not contribute anything helpful

i've personally been secretly wishing i had a mobile 3400+, but i can't really justify getting it.
and since it doesn't look like turion will work in most desktop motherboards.. getting one may not be a good idea (even though you can't buy them yet), though you can always wait and see how it works out.

edit: squiddy.. there really is a difference between pci-e and pci-x. though it's not worth arguing about, people make mistakes sometimes :cool:
though the name calling is definitly.. uncalled for.

definitly gets my seal cause i'll be getting that cpu for my dfi if the turion doesn't work out.
just make sure you have a heatsink that can deal with the missing heatspreader. you'll have to tighten down the heatsink somehow. i was able to mod my zalman by bending the little retaining bar to create more pressure on the core. just don't overdo it, cracked core = bad

Hm, I suggested the 3200+, because it was cheaper. I was also hoping to push you the 939 route for saftey for the future. Hehe. However, that is NOT to say 754's are bad to any degree. They continue to preform excellent. If you rather go that route and save some money and invest it later when the time comes than do it. Whatever you feel is best in the end is the best thing for you. As a Personal story I am glad I got my 6800NU instead of a 6800GT and saved about 150 dollars, which I then used to upgrade other equipment later on like my current External HD + Enclosure which has brought me a greater joy than a few more FPS.
So 754 route, I'd say anything Winchester would be a good route in the AMD64 line-up. Pair it with whatever the best DFI board is and you'll be set.

you wouldnt happen to have a link to a good 3200+ winchester core chip would you??

i didnt see one on new egg that was 754

It would seem I have be foiled yet again. Newcastle and Clawhammers there.

But based on 102 voters vs. 11 and still 5 stars, + a Cheaper price.
I'd hit up the http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=19-103-484&depa=1
If you are so hell bent on the 3400+ That and its a higher stock frequency. 2.4 rather than 2.2. Though the Cache is less on it than the Clawhammer. 516K vs 1MB. :-\

Don't you just hate that, everything looks to be better, better, and then BAM one thing can through it all off. Well its in your ball park champ. Like I said, whichever you want in the end is the one that is best.

If you want a good overclocking chip I would wait until Venice comes out, the recent Winchesters are not overclocking near as well as the old ones (they have been out longer and AMD has gotten more lower performing cores so they dont have good silicon being sold as a low end chip anymore).

However initial results with the Venice have been very promising, and the price of venice should not be much more than winchester (winchester isn't any more than newcastle). AMD lists the MSRP at the same price as the old revisions, so the only difference in price will be online retailers price gouging a bit at release. Venice is most definitely being released on April 4th, and that includes the lower end 3000+ and 3200+ chips as well as 3500 and 3800+ chips.

I would wait for venice if you can, just my opinion. If you cant wait you should be able to get a decent overclock out of a winchester, nothing too special though unless you get lucky.

EDIT : Oh yea, I would definitely go 939 over 754, 754 is going the way of the dodo soon, 939 is the place to be.

939 should be dead by next year anyhow. S1 and M2 will become the new sockets. :rolleyes:

as for the clawhammer vs. newcastle, i think the clawhammer is definitly better. yeah, the stock speed is 200mhz slower, but when oc'ed the cache more than makes up for the lower speed.

there are no s754 winchesters.
though i do believe there are some mobile winchesters for 754, check the thread regarding the 3 2800's for more info on that.

abudhu said:
It would seem I have be foiled yet again. Newcastle and Clawhammers there.

But based on 102 voters vs. 11 and still 5 stars, + a Cheaper price.
I'd hit up the http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=19-103-484&depa=1
If you are so hell bent on the 3400+ That and its a higher stock frequency. 2.4 rather than 2.2. Though the Cache is less on it than the Clawhammer. 516K vs 1MB. :-\

That's the cpu that I just ordered (3400+ for $219) and it's supposed to be here Friday. I'm going to be gone on vacation for a week starting Saturday so I probably won't get a chance to OC it any before I leave. To me, the regular 3400+ desktop is the sweet spot as far as price/performance is concerned - Although that mobile 3400 was tempting. ;)

BTW - I have the DFI UT250GB board and I really like it. First DFI board for me but it won't be the last for sure.

(cf)Eclipse said:
939 should be dead by next year anyhow. S1 and M2 will become the new sockets. :rolleyes:

as for the clawhammer vs. newcastle, i think the clawhammer is definitly better. yeah, the stock speed is 200mhz slower, but when oc'ed the cache more than makes up for the lower speed.

though i do believe there are some mobile winchesters for 754, check the thread regarding the 3 2800's for more info on that.

When do you think S1 and M2 will become available?

Don Wong said:
When do you think S1 and M2 will become available?

Late mid/Late 2006-Early early 2007.

I thought my processor was pretty good bang for the buck. 2.7ghz and 1mb of cache for only $300.

At 1.7v for 2.7GHz? I'm running my mobile (in a laptop stock cooling) at 2.31GHZ with 1.325v :D

what kind of temperature difference do you get on that between idle and load anyhow?

edit: that's a mobile anyhow, it's different.. though 2.3ghz with 1.325v is quite nice. i think i can get a 100mhz oc on my 3200+ and keep the volts at 1.425 (.075 under stock, just like you) but i need 1.55v for 2.3ghz :p

I just put it down to 1.3 but wasn't prime stable :rolleyes:

I've never actually measured the temperature difference, under a prime test it's only slightly warm to the touch.

The roadmaps that I have seen have socket M2 based chips scheduled for Q1 2006. I dont know how closely AMD sticks to plans that far out, but thats what I've seen so far.

Will the M1 socket most likely cater to dual core chips? I know that the 939 DC processors will have a single HT lane and each processor will have one channel of memory from the dual channel memory. Could the M1 socket add another HT lane and give dual channel memory to both cores? Another question, is NUMA possible with a dual core chip?

serbiaNem said:
At 1.7v for 2.7GHz? I'm running my mobile (in a laptop stock cooling) at 2.31GHZ with 1.325v :D

What voltage does it take to get 2.7ghz? Yeah.

I wonder what I can get at 1.325v...

i actually meant that temp question for baron ;)
and i can get 2ghz with 1.3v, so probably around 2020-2050mhz for 1.325v

I'm getting temps of about 58C with F@H going on in the background, haha. I dont leave it running on 1.7v 24/7 since my cooling isn't that good. CBID gives me a PR of 4150+, though. This cpu is a year ahead of its time :D

Oh, and I can do 2.4ghz with a .75 undervolt. My cpu doesnt like 1.325v very much, but it's not rated for anything near it anyway.

Frallan said:
If wanting to hold on to AGP is an issue U have the iofficial [F] stamp on that package :D.

What do you mean by this? What's wrong with AGP and the UT250GB?

SquiDDy said:
also, if any one knows of a good cooler for my new setup, feel free to chime in :D
I'm using the XP-90 on this board and am very happy with the performance. Also considering a move to that mobile 3400+ if I find info on mounting the XP-90 to CPU's w/out IHS.

(cf)Eclipse said:

lol, 939 still has plenty of life in it, they wont abandon 939 for quite sometime. The only thing it is missing is DDR2 support, and that wont be a needed feature in the foreseeable future. You probably wont see M2 for at least a year and half most likely 2 years.

Besides 939 will have dual core, venice, san diego, all the good stuff.

While eclipse is giving great advice, there are good and bad sides to socket 754/939 that you need to consider. Namely, do you want to spend more now or later?

754: Cheaper now, but not much development going into it. You can get good stable overclocks but unless you are going with extreme cooling you probably won't break 3ghz. That's not to say that 2700 isn't great though :). When you choose to upgrade you will be buying a new mobo if you go s754 now. Is that worth the price difference now? Who knows...

939: More expensive. You will pay 30-50 more for a decent OC'ing motherboard and ~20-30 more for an equivelant processor. There are multiple benefits to this: Dual channel memory (~5-15% benchmark gain), support for Venice / San Diego cores coming out next month, support for dual cores in the future.

The choice is yours, but I would recommend a s939 Neo2 Platinum board w/ a venice core once they come out. If you want the 1mb L2 cache the San Diego will be coming out on the 14th, or you could go with a 4000+ Clawhammer (expensive atm...)

Edit: Also a major consideration is that DFI does not make a s939 AGP board. That alone may shift my recommendation to the s754 solution since you plan on overclocking :)

It looks to me like even on S939 it's rare to get to 3 GHz without extreme cooling. Even with top gear, knowledge and extreme cooling, a lot of luck is required because many (if not most) won't go that high no matter what you do.

yeah, roguer has it down. i'm needlessly pimping the 754 anyhow, because too many people blindly think that 939 is way better. the way i see it, get a 754 setup now, the next time you need to upgrade, 939 will be replaced with M2.
though i would like to know more about these new sockets.. aside from the late '06 timeline.

though, there's one thing that makes me really believe in the future of 754, if dfi plans on getting support for them, even if it's unofficial.

Turion.

think about it. the venice is already doing very well.. but everyone knows that the best dies typically go into the mobile chips. that alone may be able to put the 754 boards into the 3ghz+ range with normal air cooling.

Yes, I'm looking forward to learning about these future developments for S754. I want to do a GPU upgrade soon and I'm reluctant to get another AGP card for my DFI nF3 unless I am reasonably sure that I can stick w/754 for another year or so.

Back