Best bang for the buck x570 MB (Gaming and basic use)

DWolvin

2[H]4U
So, my long in the tooth MSI X370 XPower Gaming Titanium (someone deserves a slap for that name) is starting to go. Nothing specific or drastic, just loss of stability in the last year and a BIOS that's always had trouble keeping settings (esp. fan curves). It's been RMA'd before and MSI seems to have given up on it- much of their ecosystem of MB programs don't work on it, despite marketing swearing they do.

So, I'm looking to upgrade to a Zen3 something soon, probably a Ryzen 7 5800x processor. Already have M.2's to swap, but might need new RAM (CORSAIR VENGEANCE RGB 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3000). I started looking for a good x570 and have been blown away at the price differences between fairly similar looking boards, so here is my list that I'd love to hear anyone's experience with.

MSI MPG X570 Gaming PRO Carbon

MSI X570 Tomahawk

Gigabyte X570 Gaming X

Gigabyte X570 AORUS Elite

Asus AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus

Asus TUF Gaming X570-PRO

Asus Prime X570-Pro

ASRock AM4/X570 Steel Legend

As it's going into a white TT P3 case, I have to admit I'm hoping to hear about the ASRock, it would look good in there. :ROFLMAO:
Thanks in advance to the people that rebuild yearly!

Bad experience? What happened?
Poor VRM design and quality. MSI has its share of duds, especially in the X570 chipset motherboard category. In fact, the Gaming Pro Carbon's VRMs cannot handle a 105W TDP CPU at even stock speeds.

I don't own any X570 boards but the X570 Tomahawk and the X570 TUF PRO would be my pick in the midrange board categories.

The X570 TUF nonPRO is decent but vs the TUF PRO, you lack a USB C Header and you get a Realtek 1GBPS instead of an Intel 2.5GBPS chip (if it matters to you)

The Gaming X is ok if you want a no frills entry level board. Depending on the price, you may as well go with the higher range boards for $10 or so more. The ASUS PRIME P also falls under this category.

The PRIME PRO is a bit expensive for what you get but nothing inherently wrong with the board.

The Elite is also a good option.

As above poster mentioned, the Pro Carbon has VRMs of a B450 board, which are not enough for the higher TDP Ryzen chips.

No info on the Asrock, sorry.

If you're a diehard overclocker, you may want to look at a board with the debug POST codes, which none of these boards have. My bet in that segment would be the Asus X570 STRIX E.

B550 is an option, but if you have more than 1 M2, I'd just go X570 anyway since the price difference isn't a lot.

The only things to really consider on the 570 chipset is desired features and quality vrm's in case you decide later to get a 5950X when the the ddr5 platform is finished and ready for primetime. I'll probably do that and wait for the early adopter growing pains to be rectified. The msi tomahawk is equipped to power the 5950 with ease. I'm using the msi meg ace and have had zero issues. I also have an elite that's had zero issues as well.

I'm in a similar situation as I'm looking to do an upgrade before too long. Although I'm looking at trying to get my hands on a 5900x.

The x570 Tomahawk is one of the boards I'm looking at and it seems to be decent all around.

The TUF x570-Pro is another I've looked at although with some possible caveats. Generally the look of the board doesn't matter much to me but this is one ugly ass motherboard. There's also the downside that it doesn't have a built-in shield. For the price of the board it should have that and it's something I've grown to like a lot. The third possible issue is the VRMs. I don't know about this board specifically but Asus likes to be misleading about VRM implementation. While the board might handle a 5900x with PBO style overclocking I don't want to have a board with hot running VRMs as I'm likely to have the board running for years. Hot VRMs are not going to be good for long term life. On the positive side it's the cheapest of the three I've been looking at and it also has 8 SATA ports which would be useful if it's ever relegated to home server duty.

The Gigabyte Aorus Pro WiFi is another one I'm considering. I loved Gigabyte boards back in the AMD socket AM2 days and Intel socket 775 days and still have a socket 775 Gigabyte board running (although it will be replaced by the mobo/CPU/RAM currently in my main system.) At around $280 it's the most expensive board on my list which is a downside. There's also the cold boot issues some Aorus x570 boards have had although it appears those issues may not be as prevalent as they used to be. They may also not even affect the newer revision of the board possibly. This board also seems to have a better audio implementation than the other two which is a consideration since I will be using the onboard audio.

Trying to pick a board is definitely a conundrum for me. Saving some money with the TUF would be nice, the Tomahawk is good all around and middle of the road on price but the Gigabyte x570 Pro Wifi is the best looking and has my pro-Gigabyte bias making me want it.

Agreed, the x570 Tomahawk and Gigabyte Aorus Pro are seeming to be the cream of the crop as far as I can see in reviews, and the power delivery of the Tomahawk's power delivery seems to be a point it it's favor. I've had power troubleshooting issues (usually at work, F'n cheap OWM power supplies!) and that really sounds like a good setup. That said, it's interesting how great a price range the X570 covers. I found well reviewed boards from $165~ish to pushing $500.

Back