Best bang for the buck Passivly cooled NV card

Bullitt

2[H]4U
So, what are the options here?

I've got a SFF that I want to use for some _moderate_ gaming. I'm speaking of 1024x768 @ low-med settings in games like UT2k4, Quake4, BF2. I'm not looking for triple-digit framerates, but if I could hit average of 30, that'd be a plus.

Is the 6200 w/ 128-bit memory (NV43) my best bet? Budget is of a concern as is quiet operation. One last kicker, its going to have to be AGP. I havent seen any benchmark or specs for the 7200 series yet, any links?

What is your budget ?
The best 'bang for your buck' nv card available now is probably the 6800GS, which is relatively cheap, yet gives very decent performance. (and its available in both PCIE and AGP)

But that may be too high in price for you? If you buy too low a series card, you may end up at the point where something from a previous generation (like a 9800Pro) may be better for you.

How much cash are you willing to spend ?

Drexion said:
What is your budget ?
The best 'bang for your buck' nv card available now is probably the 6800GS, which is relatively cheap, yet gives very decent performance. (and its available in both PCIE and AGP)

But that may be too high in price for you? If you buy too low a series card, you may end up at the point where something from a previous generation (like a 9800Pro) may be better for you.

How much cash are you willing to spend ?
passively cooled is the key here. unfortunately, i dont have any particularly insightful ideas for ya though

6600GT/6800GS + zalman vf700. quie tand performs well, i know its not passive but...

I appeciate the suggestions. Budget would be _around_ $100, I'm willing to fudge 25%.

I said passive cooling because its going in a shuttle G chasis. Although the 6800's fit (Leadtek 6800 fit before I sold to a friend) its too much card for how much the machine will be used for 2ndary gaming. The 6200 NV43 core seemed like a winner, but I cant find them in stock for a reasonable price (might as well find a 6600gt).

the albatron is about what I was looking for, but PCI-Express is a no-go. Sn85g4 is an AGP beast.

I guess I should really ask, should I wait for the 7200/7300 cards or just go for a 6600?

Seems like the 7300's are out using gddr2 but at 64-bit interface. Would the gddr2 overcome the 64-bit bus, or would it present an even bigger bottleneck?

Back