Best Bang for Buck Llano Vs Phenom II Vs i3

Rockjay420

Gawd
Ive been looking for an upgrade for my C2D system. I ve tried to do some research into benchmarks but I am unfamiliar with the performance of many of the CPU's released in the past couple years. I play a lot of FPS Mass Effect 2, FO3, Portal, etc. I have a sapphire 4680 (256mbit version) that overclocks fairly well so an integrated gpu doesn't get me too wet. My price range is between 120 - 160, quad core or dual core, capable of some light overclocking 15% - 20%

So shall i go with the fastest Phenom II x4? Or maybe the Llano A8? Or a Dual Core i3?

depends on if you want to do anything other than game, but I would go with the phenom quad, or if you can find one for your money get an x6.

i3s aren't all that great.

an x4 or x6 would be a more well rounded machine, and plenty of muscle for your vidcard.

edit: the performance of the a8s is nothing to scoff at either, clock for clock they seem a touch better than phenoms.

Last edited:
I will have to go with a Phenom II X4 955 if I were you. It's $119 on Newegg as of today.

The following should be within your budget of $120 to $160 for a good AMD CPU:
  • Phenom II X4 955 - $119
  • Phenom II X4 960T Zosma - $124
  • Phenom II X4 965 - $129
  • Phenom II X4 970 - $139
  • Phenom II X6 1055T - $149
  • Phenom II X4 975 - $159
  • Phenom II X6 1075T - $159

On the Intel side, only the Sandy Bridge i3-2100 series up to i3-2125 are within your budget. If going by the chart below, should be just below X4 975 I mentioned above in terms of performance.

This is a good chart from Tom's Hardware:

Screenshot-2011-10-31_13.33.18.png

Source: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-overclocking,3052-5.html

Llano > Phenom > i3

There's even a quad Llano quad with disabled graphics for $80-$90.

More like i3 > Phenom > Llano.

To the OP. Depending on your needs get either the cheapest i3 (2100 I think) or a Phenom II x6 1055T. If you really want something to tweak you are best off with the 1055T.

I suggested the X4 955 based on the fact it's the cheapest you can get and is still pretty decent in a lot of games today.

Only something like the i3-2125 will beat it and it's priced $159.99 on Newegg.com, which puts its performance somewhere close or just below the X4 975.

I suggested the X4 955 based on the fact it's the cheapest you can get and is still pretty decent in a lot of games today.

Only something like the i3-2125 will beat it and it's priced $159.99 on Newegg.com, which puts its performance somewhere close or just below the X4 975.

Most tests I have seen put the any i3 ahead of the Phenom's in gaming. Even the higher clocked 980. Besides if he ever wants to upgrade again the 1155 line offers far better upgrade options. Especially with IB coming next year.

Im wondering about the A8's integrated gpu, does it have the ability to share the load, with my graphics card>?

Im wondering about the A8's integrated gpu, does it have the ability to share the load, with my graphics card>?

No it doesn't. How long are you looking to keep the system? If it is for quite a few years down the road I would just stretch the budget for the Core i5 2400 and be done with it.

at least 3 years, why do i keep reading that chips minus the L3 cache are better for gaming>?

3 years? If so I highly recommend just getting the Core i5 2400. The CPU is powerful enough to not have to be overclocked and will out do any AMD CPU even overclocked in your price range. Quad cores are becoming more and more important, so you probably should get one. It will easily last you another video card upgrade in the future too.

AMD Llano and Propus chips have no L3. Depending on the game it may make performance suffer as much as 10% I think. On average more like 5% though. Games love the extra cache.

3 years? If so I highly recommend just getting the Core i5 2400. The CPU is powerful enough to not have to be overclocked and will out do any AMD CPU even overclocked in your price range. Quad cores are becoming more and more important, so you probably should get one. It will easily last you another video card upgrade in the future too.

AMD Llano and Propus chips have no L3. Depending on the game it may make performance suffer as much as 10% I think. On average more like 5% though. Games love the extra cache.

more cache would seem better, however i keep reading on product reviews, the L3 somehow hinders OC'ability?

I have never seen that stated anywhere to be honest. Even if you may get a few extra 100 MHz it will still be slow clock for clock. Comparing Propus (no L3) to Deneb (has l3).

I think so yes. Just keep in mind you technically cannot overclock the 2400.

what ram frequency will give me 1 : 1 with the i5?

Not a concern. i5 has 100 MHz BCLK, so any RAM frequency is fine for you to use. Typically, people are fine with 1333 MHz RAM since there is no appreciable performance increase when you have higher frequency RAM.

since there is no overclock, i guess ill stretch my money to an i5 2500,
there is no appreciable difference between 1333 and 1600?
is there a specific motherboard chipset i should be looking for?

Good choice on the i5. No real discernible differences between memory speeds. Z68, ideally.

There is no appreciable difference between 1333 and 1600.

If you're going to the 2500, you should just step up to the 2500k. Otherwise, stick with the 2400.

2400- H61 or H67 board will work just fine, P67 if you want crossfire/SLI, Z68 if you want crossfire/SLI and the onboard graphics.
2500k- P67 for overclocking or Z68 for overclocking and onboard graphics.

Z68 also has a few other features which you may or may not use.

Edit: Wow, just looked at Newegg prices on the i5's. Just a $35 difference between the low model and the 2500k. With that difference I would just go with the 2500k. Better bang for buck (IMO) and much more future-proof.

Last edited:
Yes as others said 2500K for overclocking. Find a P67/Z68 that meets your needs and make the dive. Far better option then any AMD or i3 processor combo at the moment.

I agree Tom's has slipped quite a bit since BoM bought it.

If I need a quick comparison www.anandtech.com/bench/CPU/2

That's also a good site too to use. I've played around with it a lot since I'm still in the process of upgrading my own system. And, I've recommended it to a friend that wants to upgrade his own system as well.

I brought up Tom's chart since there isn't something similar that I could find that can easily compare and contrast CPUs in an easy-to-read chart. Especially since a lot of people outside [H] can't read graphs and charts, or pore through pages upon pages of reviews scattered throughout different websites, or have the patience to do so.

Don't cheap out and get the 2500, you'll regret it. Newegg occasionally has discounts on the 2500k, bringing it to the ~$200 range. Wait for those.

You have NO OVERCLOCKING at all on the non-k processors.

Don't cheap out and get the 2500, you'll regret it. Newegg occasionally has discounts on the 2500k, bringing it to the ~$200 range. Wait for those.

You have NO OVERCLOCKING at all on the non-k processors.

um.... you get 4 bins overclock for the non-k (i.e. 0.4ghz max higher)

as an owner of llano, i recommend phenom II 955 BE typically on sale with coupon code around $105 and overclock 4ghz+ with proper cooling.

I was impressed with the llano, but its really qwerky to overclock depends on your motherboard, bios version, etc etc. i was able to get 3.7ghz stable -- llano runs very cool, uses little juice, but also limited motherboard support

if your into gaming, i think you will want a 990FX motherboard instead of what FM1 offers. if you want a general PC that does some gaming, llano could be a good fit.

Phenom II x4 970 for $130, this will not perform as well as an intel quad but you will save yourself alot of money on the processor as well as the mobo, also you can overclock this.

Best dollar vs performance CPU is likely the 2500K.

If you're an AMD fan buy a 960T for 125usd off of newegg. It's BE so you can set any multi. Even if it doesn't unlock to an X6 it would be great as an x4 @ overclocked to 3.8-4.1GHz. If you have a mobo that unlocks CPUs you may end up with a 125usd x6 Thuban. Of course, that's not guaranteed! If you do unlock it make sure you >disable< turbo core and manually OC where you wish to be.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103995

Last edited:
Best dollar vs performance CPU is likely the 2500K.

If you're an AMD fan buy a 960T for 125usd off of newegg. It's BE so you can set any multi. Even if it doesn't unlock to an X6 it would be great as an x4 @ overclocked to 3.8-4.1GHz. If you have a mobo that unlocks CPUs you may end up with a 125usd x6 Thuban. Of course, that's not guaranteed! If you do unlock it make sure you >disable< turbo core and manually OC where you wish to be.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103995

Ouch that's $220 plus the cost of an intel motherboard. The best bang is really that expensive? my best buddy bought a Phenom x4 for 80 dollars and kept his old motherboard. It was cheap and fast.

My config was very cheap. Runs WoW - the only game I currently play - without a glitch (DX9 mode, topped) and in Windows apps/video/stuff is blazing fast. If you're low on cash you should consider it.

No, people definitely don't need a 2500k.

Again, if I were looking to save cash and go the AMD route I'd gamble on a 960T for 125usd. Even if it doesn't unlock it's highly likely I'd at least have a 3.6GHz Thuban based x4 via overclocking. Actually, 3.8-4.0GHz isn't uncommon with Thuban. The 960T is all of 5usd over the 955 on Newegg; it's 125 vs 120.

Last edited:
Back