best bang for buck android under 200

eon

2[H]4U
hello just want to know what models should I consider as a replacement phone for my wife's broken Nexus 4. We are okay with refurbished phones but we would like a straight-talk with ATT compatible phone

The Asus Zenfone 2 at $199 would probably be the best (and I hate using that term, honestly) sub-$200 smartphone on the market today considering everything it has to offer in terms of features and processing power. That link to Amazon (not an affiliate link, mind you, I don't do such things) is the 16GB model, it's unlocked so ready to go for any GSM service worldwide with just a SIM so that means yes it'll work for StraightTalk and AT&T, or T-Mobile, or whoever as long as they're GSM.

Mind you it's a 5.5" display so it's a rather large phone, however, so if you're looking for something smaller then perhaps a Moto E or Moto G might do.

Since you said refurbs are ok then maybe look into a refurb Nexus 6 someplace since you're already familiar with that line, maybe even a refurb Nexus 5 would work for you or your Wife.

But that Zenfone 2 is hard to beat in terms of price to what it's capable of, and it has a microSD slot for up to 64GB of additional storage if needed.

There's tons of other possibilities of course but you did ask for the best bang for the buck and that's pretty much it.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I suggest browsing Swappa, I find it more trustworthy than ebay and the likes. Get what fits her. Quick glance I see an S5 active starting at $195.

Probably the brand new LG G2 that could be had for under $200 new on ebay/best buy. I don't know if you can still find them though.

What about last years OnePlus One ? I am sure those are selling in the $200 range ? They are actually pretty good if you can one for a good price.

thanks for the suggestions, im liking the zenfone2 in that im getting a brand new phone instead of one that could potentially have had years of use already worn into the phone. Also my wife prefers a bigger screen.

skip the OnePlusOne.... not worth the possible display/... issues (and when you have other phones to choose from)

Zenfone 2 (if you don't mind the bloat/size), or the Moto G 3rd Gen (will likely be the "Best" futureproof phone outside of a nexus)

I think the new Moto G is a great phone. I got to play around with one today and it really impressed me. I like the screen a LOT more than the Zenphone 2's dim display and even though it is thicker, the G feels really good in the hand. Having something close to stock android is nice and with Motorola's antenna hardware, it puts it head and shoulders above the zenphone 2 for me.

Nexus 5 can be found for under 2 bills and its pure Android, my wife has been using hers for 2+years and still a runner

I've had the same LG Optimus F6 for over two years and have been very pleased!

Great battery life, 4gLTE in 90% of Central Dallas, all in all a great phone for daily use.

Only complaint I have is limited onboard memory. Sure I've got a 2gb SD card but when it comes to installing big apps, its gotta through the onboard first etc.

My next phone will most certainly be another LG.

I've had the same LG Optimus F6 for over two years and have been very pleased!

Great battery life, 4gLTE in 90% of Central Dallas, all in all a great phone for daily use.

Only complaint I have is limited onboard memory. Sure I've got a 2gb SD card but when it comes to installing big apps, its gotta through the onboard first etc.

My next phone will most certainly be another LG.

There are ways to override that LG F6 restriction, and use a microSD to extend the internal memory.

0. Back up your phone first!!
1. Use towelroot to root the phone first. https://towelroot.com/
2. Install BusyBox
3. Install F6 TWRPv3. -Install Recovery -Reboot Recovery -Backup ROM to External SD. Then copy the ROM image to a desktop.
4. Install the Freedom kernel (doesn't have to be OC). http://androidcreations.weebly.com/lg-optimus-f6-ms500--d500.html
5. Install Aparted app
-Settings->General->Storage->Unmount SD card
-Start Aparted
-Create 2 partitions - 1) user partition (fat32) 2) /data partition (ext4)
note: can un-install aparted after mods.
6. Install mounts2sd app
prereq: Aparted microSD fat32+ext4
prereq: working init.d running on phones. Init.d WORKS in the freedom kernel.
-Press Menu -> Application Settings -> Install Startup Script
-Power off the phone completely, then turn it back on.
-Run mount2sd and check for External storage status. Should be mounted.
...ready for large app test down...
7. Optional - Install App Quarantine to freeze any unwanted processes and bloatware.

These were my notes from last year when I modded a F6 to extend its internal memory. A family member has been running the modded F6 with 10GB system memory ever since. :D

Disclaimer - The chance to brick your phone is non-zero, but there are ways to recover from that too. Do research online. The key enabling steps are rooting, the freedom kernel, and mount2sd app.

Last edited:
Back